June 5th, 2009

Obama nominee drops out

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Philip Mudd has withdrawn from consideration as undersecretary of intelligence and analysis at the Department of Homeland Security. His decision comes after questions were raised over his knowledge of the CIA's interrogation programs during the Bush administration.

Mudd and administration statements, as released by the White House Friday:

From Philip Mudd: “Today I am announcing that I have decided to withdraw my name from consideration to be the Department of Homeland Security Undersecretary for Intelligence and Analysis. I know that this position will require the full cooperation with Congress and I believe that if I continue to move forward I will become a distraction to the President and his vital agenda. I would like to thank the President for the honor of being considered and I extend my good wishes to the exceptional men and women of the Intel and Analysis office; these professionals work hard every day to analyze and share information with state, local and federal law enforcement agencies critical to the security of the United States.”

From White House spokesman Nick Shapiro: “The President believes that Phil Mudd would have been an excellent Undersecretary for Intelligence and Analysis but understands his personal decision and the choice he has made. It is with sadness and regret that the President accepted Phil’s withdrawal from consideration as Phil once again demonstrated his duty to country above all things.”

From DHS Assistant Secretary of Public Affairs Sean Smith: “Phil Mudd would have been an outstanding Undersecretary and we are disappointed by his decision but accept it. On an interim basis, the Office of Intelligence and Analysis continues to be led by Bart Johnson, an exceptional leader who is already making the critical changes that will transform this crucial office.”

Filed under: President Obama
  1. joe

Goodbye!

June 5, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. Fair is Fair

Well... I guess his name was Mudd.

June 5, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  3. phoenix86

He was much too qualified to join the Obama administration. I don't know how he got past the initial screening!

June 5, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  4. southerncousin

He probably had to much integrity and honesty for the Obama administration like Judd Greg had. Didn't want to be indicted along with the rest of the Obama thugocracy a couple of years from now.

June 5, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  5. Kenyan Wonder Kid

What about Pelosi's knowledge of the CIA's interrogation program under the Bush Administration and her charges that the CIA lied to congress? Why has the media dropped this important allegation completely, if not at the request of their ally - the Democratic Party?

June 5, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  6. dan

If we need an extra $20 billion or so:

taxthechurches"DOT"org

from the Bill of Rights:
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

June 5, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  7. Steve (the real one)

I respect his integrity. There needs to be a ton more of that in DC !

June 5, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  8. Dawn in Pa

I checked on Phillip Mudd, he had the knowledge of the Enhanced Interrogations of the detainees. Did he give approve this? He could have went through what he knew. Who knows....

June 5, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  9. Tony

Well ......

Imust say I am a little surprised that he did this. However, if he thinks he was a distraction, then good for him.

Now Pelosi...........................

June 5, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  10. What is wrong with the Democrats???.

We are losing good people cause the Democrats are going on a Wichhunt for supposed Torture? Let me ask you idiots , I mean Democrats a question would you rather dunk a terrorist head under water to get information(like we did to avert the LA terrorist attack) we need to avert the attack or just be nice to these people and when they want to give us information just wait around for it? You people are so caught up in Bush Hating that you are willing to give up our security so you can get even with Bush who beat you in two elections? You people are pathetic and make me SICK ....More than anything you are not AMERICANS in my eyes, simply TRAITORS.... We will see if CNN will even post this because we know they hate Democrats being called out for anything......

June 5, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  11. Rob

Why should he have dropped out? I'm sure the CIA lied to him, just like they lied to Pelosi.

June 5, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  12. Brian

Great is Bella Pelosi next?

June 5, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  13. carlo

I know the fringe nuts are going to go crazy over this, but hey, its the weekend, and I have lots to do. Have at it.

June 5, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  14. Beverly in NC

Who can blame him?

The Bush administration and the CIA were complicit in lying about the use of illegal and immoral torture.

Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld should be prosecuted for many things but they are especially guilty here for they were the ones who called for torture to be used, authorized it, told people to do it and then have lied about it ever since.

June 5, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  15. Vietnam Vet71

What is wrong with the Democrats???. June 5th, 2009 3:58 pm ET

WROTE:

I served two tours in Vietnam and have 30 + years of honorable military service. The name calling has to cease–we need answers and we need to move forward, end of discussion.

June 5, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  16. Lisa, Laughlin NV

Well I hope the democrats are happy. The President they elected cannot even have his choice of people to serve at his pleasure because they are too busy looking for "things that go bump in the night". Bush this, Bush that! Will they drop it already? I don't think they will be happy until nothing and I mean nothing gets done!

June 5, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  17. bozo bama

three murdering muslim terrorists were waterboarded and we are a nation of terror... Now if we had sawed their heads off after that i would be concerned.

June 5, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  18. mjm

Everyone knew about it, including congress.

Wasn't a big deal at the time. Hasn't been done since. All four terrorists lived through it. Got some info that may have saved lives at the time.

We seem to be making to big of a deal out of this.

4 Terrorists. Let it go.

June 5, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  19. gt

pysco leftist extremeist are running off qualitied people and putting this country at risk for unrealistic idealism

June 5, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  20. o

What is wrong with the Democrats???:

Yeah, you definitely showed CNN. The hypocrites were so afraid of your criticisms that they neglected to publish your histrionic, idiotic post.

Oh, wait...

June 5, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  21. Melissa

Do you people want those responsible for the last 8 years to come to justice or not? Obviously this guy knows he did something wrong or he wouldn't be withdrawing. Knock off the idiotic crap. The Republicans are responsible for everything thats happened in the last 8 years, and they're responsible for this too. Enough already. Stop trying to turn the blame on the Democrats for what YOU REPUBLICANS did.

June 5, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  22. Meh

what is wrong w. the democrats?> No, I think a better question would be "what is wrong w. YOU?". It's never ok to torture someone to get info, ESPECIALLY when the same info. can be gained w. other methods. This blood-thirstiness needs to stop or we are no better than the people we are torturing.

June 5, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  23. Moral issue

In case some of you on this blog don't know: torture is UN-AMERICAN.

June 5, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  24. in the middle

Most right wing people who post comments have to be some of the craziest people living in the U.S.A.. Maybe too much FOX NEWS.. The guy remove himself, ok. I think he had valid reason. No one party has made more mistakes like the party who represent the right. I admit the left have some questionable people to, but the right are to far extreme. Look! Bush had his chance, the whole U.S. was on his side and what does he do, invade the wrong country and help screw up the economy.. But it is not all his fault. What you think would happen with a balloon mortgage for a home with a monthly payment you know you can not afford. Now we have Obama trying his best, just to hear a bunch of losers from the right ready to jump negative by anything positive he is trying to do. I just wish those who are the biggest critics would have been that way 8years ago...

June 5, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  25. Cowboy in West Texas

And we wonder why good men and women don't go into public service – we and the media destroy them – I got skeltons in my closet – I will keep mine locked and let someone else go down in flames.

June 5, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |