June 6th, 2009

Brown slips on 'Obama Beach'

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown misspoke during ceremonies for the 65th anniversary of D-Day at Omaha Beach, France,Saturday.

(CNN) – Even in a stirring, somber moment, the president’s last name can prove vexing to some.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown misspoke on stage during ceremonies for the 65th anniversary of D-Day at Omaha Beach, France, Saturday.

Discussing U.S.–Great Britain cooperation during the invasion, Brown said, “Next to Obama Beach, we join President Obama in paying particular tribute to the spectacular bravery of American soldiers who gave their lives”.

He stumbled again on a second reference to Omaha Beach before saying it correctly.

There was no reaction on the face of President Obama during the slip as he sat next to Britain's Prince Charles.

For Brown, the visit to Normandy was an escape from political pressures at home, where his government is under fire and a number of Cabinet members resigned this week. In a move some thought may be an effort to help the embattled Brown, the White House said Friday that Obama had called Brown on the eve of the trip to discuss the world economy and his speech to the Muslim world.

The White House statement noted, “President Obama looks forward to seeing Prime Minister Brown in Normandy on Saturday where they will continue their conversation.”

But even the respite from domestic politics for Brown didn’t bring an end to his rough week.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Joanna

Kinda funny. Everyone has Obama fever. I love it! I love our president!!

June 6, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  2. Curt

I thought it was funnier when Obama brought up Gettysburg and other Independance battles. On a day we celebrate France, Canada, England and the US working togather. I was surprised that Obama would discuss the booty kicking we gave England.

June 6, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  3. Jay

Watch out Brown,the Fox news word police is watching.

June 6, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  4. Dawn in Pa

@usualone, I have that problem, it's like my mouth goes off before my brain goes oops. It's a Sagattarius thing, and since I am one, and I was born with directions, Open mouth and insert foot and you are right, if anyone has had a Sagattarius moment and they lie about it, I guess you are a God Or Goddess...

June 6, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  5. Guy#1

This is not news, who cares?

June 6, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  6. Lynn

We are really blessed to finally have a President who is respected and admired by so many around the world. Thank you President Obama for being a symbol of integrity and hope to so many.

June 6, 2009 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  7. Judy

CNN – this is what you take away from the beautiful D-Day ceremony? Really – this is what you choose to report? How very sad.

June 6, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  8. Janice

James, go easy on the coffee....

June 6, 2009 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  9. epg

CNN, this is yet another un-newsworthy story that someone decided to publish. Personally, if you are going to put out this kind of thing, I'd rather read about what bonehead allowed Kathy Griffin to embarrass your network on new years.

June 6, 2009 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  10. Retired Army in San Antonio

bsmith171 -- June 6th, 2009 3:20 pm ET

first of all Brown is a po.
    that would signify that he is not very inyelligrnt.
    second he has a fixation on Obama.
    thord he is doing whatever he can to gain a few more hours as PM.

he is done, next he will be indicted.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I might be inclined to agree with everything you posted.......if I were sure of what you were trying to post.

Try again.......but without mittens on your hands ;-) .

June 6, 2009 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  11. Velmeezee

I'm just going to take this article for what it was meant, a hearty guffaw at PM Brown's oral slip-up. So... lol...rofl...:-)

June 6, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  12. LSP

Lighten up folks. It's funny.

June 6, 2009 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  13. Sara

I kind of feel bad for him that this is even consider news. It was easy enough to do, and I don't know why anyone feels like this is a big deal. He got the names screwed up. He didn't do it on purpose.

June 6, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  14. Dee

The comments of all the speakers were exceptional. One little verbal mistake cannot take away the wonderful vision of world leaders together in unity. We all make such mistakes. Lighten up. .

June 6, 2009 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  15. rich

Pull up your socks CNN. Arent you tired of being told that your reporting is not newsworthy? It appears everytime I check the ticker on any issue you are being chastised for your non news. Why arent you listening CNN? Explain yourself....waiting......

June 6, 2009 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Correct your mistake and move on. Everyone alive has mis-spoke at one time or another..Big deal. All of you know that some nuts are going to make a Big deal out of it.

June 6, 2009 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  17. DJ in the Silicon Forest

I'm not an Obama fan or a Brown hater, but this was just a slip of the tongue, pure and simple. Everyone has had it happen to them at one time or another. However, most of us don't have the World Press zooming in on every syllable! How this rates on the Importance Meter is beyond me! D-Day cannot be that slow of a news day, CNN! Get with it!

June 6, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  18. John in IL

He should lay off the sauce.

June 6, 2009 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  19. Amy from MN

I love how Republicans are making Brown's misstatement Obama's fault.

Give it a rest. All leaders present were honoring the memories of the brave men who participated in the D-Day invasion. All of us, no matter whether Democrat or Republican, should be able to agree that all our veterans deserve to be honored.

June 6, 2009 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  20. No Support

Slip up my foot, a kiss up mfor a movement by Obama to socialism.

June 6, 2009 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  21. Kate

why is this even news the main story about the day is the veterans and how the french tried to make it a us and them day this year and not invite the one person who runs a country who was involved in the war the queen of England hell it took obama to get them to invite her in the end

compared those to a slip of the tounge by brown and really this is not news

June 6, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  22. Frankie the Demo

Bill C, there are no brains at CNN. The Clown News Network is well past its relevance and one day (not soon enough) will be spoken about in past tense.

June 6, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  23. deinefreunde

This news is brought to you by the TV station that subtitled a report with Bin Laden showing in the back with "Where's Obama?" Now we know. He was at his beach.

June 6, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  24. Bushed

-This president is a real powerhouse and hard worker. The economy seems to be recovering already by most indicators. His poll numbers are great and he is revered and loved around the world. If this continues, I predict 2012 will be a real tsunami. Anyone running against him (hopefully Palin), will only get votes from his or her closest friends and family. It will be a sea of blue.

June 6, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  25. Lauren

Now isnt this funny. All of you are making excuses for Brown, saying no big deal. But god forbid Sarah Palin talk different than most of you think she should. Or go forbid she makes a mistake in wording.

Of course Obama did not flinch, I bet he though,,,, " Man, that sounds cool, maybe I will name a beach after myself "

And you know what, IF,,, IF Borwn had said President Osama,,,,, oh got, you folks would want him hung.

June 6, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |