June 6th, 2009

Obama: 'Time to deliver' on health care

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Obama, in the weekly address, discussed his plan to reform the "broken health care system" in the country.

"Fixing what’s wrong with our health care system is no longer a luxury we hope to achieve – it’s a necessity we cannot postpone any longer," he said in the address, which was taped during his trip overseas.

Transcript

Audio

Filed under: Health care • President Obama
  1. mypitts2

This is the big one. We're ready. Let's go!

June 6, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  2. Dawn in Pa

Yes Mr. President people who needs medical attention cannot get it. Some have Medicaid that goes along with Welfare. Some people cannot see a Doctor because most Doctors do not take Madicaid. that sucks, I guess the poor people just don't get sick...

June 6, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  3. George Guadiane Austerlitz, NY

"Fixing what’s wrong with our health" PROPERLY requires that we reject the lies of FOR PROFIT HMOs, which have no INTENTIONS or desires of/to EVER accept reasonable/fair profits in exchange for quality health care.
    REAL "Change We Can Believe In" requires that we start over, with a single payer option.

I don't trust Government to do a good job, but I KNOW what for profit companies have shown themselves to be – bottom liners...
    And
    bottom line, good health care = less profits.

June 6, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  4. mother and sister of a soldier

I am begging people NOT to be steam rolled by another Obama agenda until thoroughly investigated. This dem "grass roots" movement starting at the top (they start with the people) is just another grand manipulation used by our Chief Community Organizer. Yes, we need health care reform but we cannot run into reform like we did with the stimulus package which has not added jobs and increased our debt to an all new high. All the party is doing is giving their facts to the people at these meetings that will influence a person who is not an independent thinker. We are a country of "brainwashed" sheep. Obama is the best since his only other job was "community organizer". I am truly scared by this power. All anyone needs to do is read history and see where this has led in other countries.

June 6, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  5. Steve

What Obama is proposing is for the governement to manage health care – name anthing that the government manages well!
    Why would we want the government to take the best health care in the world and FIX it?
    The reminds me of the Obama quote "America is the greatest country on earth, help me change it."

June 6, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  6. gary davis Harbor Oregon

I hope he can take the profit out of insurance companies and have it put back into the system as to help reduce the cost . our health should not be used as a share of stock to be given to a share holder as a dividen. its a bunch of crap . greed . on the backs of the workforce.
    call it what you want but our system doesn't work . insurance companies get richer and the cost just keeps going up .as to feed the fat cats at the top .

TIME FOR CHANGE
    AND ITS NOW !!

June 6, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  7. Kelly

The President is absolutely right. We need to tackle this, and now. It's imperative to put single payer options on the table. People's entire lives are dictated by finding strategies to be sure they have health insurance. I have made career decision that were not what I wanted, but what would ensure that my heart condition was covered by insurance. I am a slave to our health care system. SINGLE PAYER SYSTEM NOW!

June 6, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  8. wishing

We have been contacted by the grass-roots support group promoting the President's health care agenda. We agree with the President, basic health care is not a privilege, it is an investment for a better more equitable world. We have agree to contribute toward the success of this effort and we urge everyone else to do the same.

June 6, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  9. Matt

You guys have no idea how the health care system works, or the economics behind any of it.

I have a slogan for this heath care push....

"Brace for Failure"!

I read a post where someone thinks we can take the profit away from insurance companies and put it back into the system. I guess you must live in a magical land with sunshine rainbows, and unicorns all day long.

June 6, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  10. J in LA

Wow. Another government takeover? No thank you. We are going to hand over the largest health care system in the world to the one of the most bureaucratic and inefficient organizations known to man (the US Congress, etc.)? I don't think so. The American people aren't that naive, President Obama.

June 6, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  11. Proud DHS radical

First I'd like to see the free health care system that Congress receives stop! let them find and pay for an HMO like the rest of us. Does Obama plan to offer free heath care to the millions of illegals here?

June 6, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  12. Purple Spider

If the Health Care plan is planned properly for those who are without, then it will be beneficial. If this Health Care plan "runs over" those who have company plans and/or HMO through retirement, then their will be real "bloodshed". To take away medication from retirees and elderly, because they will die soon is MURDER! Wake up America – is this what you want? To dissolve Medicare and Medicaid will be disastrous – to modify Medicare and Medicaid would make sense.

June 6, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  13. liberals are idiots

wow government run healthcare..cant wait..they do such a great job with everything else!!

June 6, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  14. db

With WHAT MONEY ?

June 6, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  15. Vermonter

Once the GOP gets through with this, the Christian Science Church could have a total revival. Seriously, why are we the only advanced nationa why health care is not a right?

June 6, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  16. Paula

Just shut up already!

June 6, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  17. George Guadiane Austerlitz, NY

Steve Wrote:

"We have the best health care in the world. It is expensive, not because of the medical profession, but because insurance companies and lawyers. What we need is tort reform so that people cannot sue for spilled cups of coffee.

We DO need tort reform, we need a lot of things.

BUT

Obama NEVER SAID THAT!!!
    A lot of the "Right" wing nut jobs try to attribute it to him, but I cannot find ONE SINGLE REFERENCE to the quote, directly attributing it to him in a speech or in any writing.
    When did Rush say Obama said it (or was it Hannity)?

America IS great, but it could still use some repair... If that wasn't true, every one would be happy with exactly how it is...
    Are you completely happy?

June 6, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  18. Jon in Richmond, Va

As a RN in critical care I will love this. Finally we will ration care Not put everyone on dialysis, do CABGs, put on vents for weeks at a time just for them to die. All because families have a gall to say my 90 year old mother needs to live longer. Or better yet the totally debilitated person with a trach, peg, colostomy, and bedsores for poor care at home or nursing home on top of MRSA and VRE has to be treated instead of let go. Say hello to socialized medicine. Get ready. Oh if you do a study on major countries with said health care, here is a big shocker, they are most all in debt. Now have of this is true, I can stand the waste, and will love the rationing. But I hate the fact this is some kind of fix, it’s not. At least it will be out of the families’ hands though, government fixes all, like Amtrac, GM, Chrysler, Banks. Yeah Bush, Yeah Obama!

June 6, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  19. T Mckinley

All this scaremongering nonsense about "Obama's government-runned Socialist healthcare plan, where people can't even chose their own doctor," is coming from multi-millionare insurance executives and the conservative stooges that they have hired to be their spokesman.

Failing to pass health care reform will only guarantee that these same insurance executives will be able to continue to use OUR need for health care to make themselves RICH.

June 6, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  20. db

And just WHAT is Osama sacraficing ? besides the country,

Obamas own words at a rally " We live in the greatest country in the world ,,, and with your help ,,, we can change it!"

June 6, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  21. Keith in Austin

If you want to get a clear view of what Government-sponsered healthcare will look like, spend an afternoon in any VA Hospital across the Country. Long lines, Medical staff primarily consisting of Residents, high infection rates,limited choice,much higher mortality rates,typically dirty and depressing. Please wake up and smell the coffee! Show me one program that Big Government is controlling that is working! Bigger government is N0T the answer!

June 6, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  22. Ray Fisher

The fastest most efficient health care idea would be to allow everyone to buy Medicare coverage for a modest premium if desired while a decision is made on a long term solution. By simply providing affordable care first, the costs should begin dropping while allowing the public sector to adjust. The focus must be on sustaining life only to begin.

June 6, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  23. Fairness

I agree with the comments about insurance companies driving the cost of health care to astronomical amounts. Even so, I don't believe tort reform is the answer. I've personally seen tort to backfire for those in need. Tort laws umbrella every situation possible. My father was in an accident that took him to a hospital where his spinal cord injury was misdiagnosed and left him a quadriplegic. With the tort in our state he was due a limited settlement for pain and suffering. Is it fair that the livelihood of a man/woman that becomes paralyzed be valued the same for per say a broken arm due to negligence? Saying that, states with tort laws have seen reductions in malpractice claims, yet premiums for physicians' malpractice insurance continue to rise. Our health care system is driven by profit margin of the insurance companies. It's time to let the Doctors control health care again, not big business.

June 6, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  24. What happened to constitution

Socialized medicine means less care, and government making decisions. How can we pay for this when we are already printing money we don't have , and in debts trillions to chinese. Forget Bush/Obama or Dem/Repub, it's about our future. We need to get out of debt. Obama can't "buy" his way to reelection, through mortgaging our countries future.

June 6, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  25. tjaman

Steve, I don't think my insurer and I were charged $100 for a 10-minute consult with a student doctor to refill a prescription because people are spilling coffee on themselves.

I don't think anyone is worth $600 an hour. Yes, I know he's not making anything like that, I know there are legitimate clinic fees etc., but c'mon, people, seriously? $100 to refill a prescription? It shouldn't be free, but it shouldn't be _that_, either.

Seems to me private industry and a gummed up free market model got us into the mess we're in now. Whatever the case, it seems clear to me that something is seriously screwed up somewhere, it needs to be stopped and it needs to be fixed. And if not by the government, sir, then _who?_

June 6, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |