June 9th, 2009

President Obama to address NAACP convention in July

Obama previously spoke at the NAACP's convention during his presidential campaign in 2008.

NEW YORK (CNN) - President Barack Obama will address the NAACP's centennial convention this summer, the organization announced Tuesday.

Obama, the country's first black president, will address the convention on its final day. Attorney General Eric Holder, New York Gov. David Paterson, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Sen. Charles Schumer, Rep. Charles Rangel, retired Gen. Colin Powell and Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele will also speak at the convention.

Obama's predecessor, President George W. Bush, faced criticism for refusing to address the organization until his sixth year in office.

The event will take place in July in New York City, where the civil rights organization was founded 100 years ago.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Dawn in Pa

Giving speeches and meeting dignitaries is what the President's do.

June 9, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  2. Lisa B

This is great news. I will be tuning in.

June 9, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  3. Shirley In California Now On The Fence Re Obama

Speaking as a black woman, I'm surprised he wants to make an appearance before BLACK people? After the way he disrespectfully ignored black women during his quest for supreme court justice- Obama IS NOT one of my favorite people right now and he has only 3.5 years to get it right before I ever cast a vote for him again. After contributing lots of money to his campaign and spending countless hours on this website blogging for him, I feel I have earned the right to say anything I want about him and for those of you who are wondering..yes, I would still vote for him with the choice being between him and McCain. He is still the right person to handle the difficult situations we are facing right now. However, that does not mean I agree with some of the things he's done. I look forward to your speech Obama (so you can get black votes) and then once you get them you will ignore us when you are filling countless positions within your administration. What a way to repay all the civil rights leaders.

June 9, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. Willy Brown

There's a shocker.....

June 9, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  5. phoenix86

Someday, Obama will no longer be known as the country's first black president, but simply the country's worst black president.

June 9, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  6. carlo

If Rush can speak at C-PAC, then the leader of the free world speaking at the NAACP convention is harmless. When Clinton did it, no one seemed to care.

June 9, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  7. felicia

Good for the President he's my # 1 fan

June 9, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  8. Johnny the Boy

Will he be announcing it disbanding? How about getting rid of affirmative action while he's at it.

June 9, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  9. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Can't wait to see the President in NYC. I just hope Michael Steele isn't speaking.

June 9, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  10. nadine

YEAH!!!!

June 9, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  11. Travis In Colorado

I don't blame Bush for not speaking there, I wouldn't have spoken there at all. Not until there is a National Association for the Advancement of White People, a Miss White America, like there is a Miss Black America, Cloud Magazine instead of Jet Magazine, White Entertainment Television, Congressional White Caucus, a Million White Man March, and so on and so on. Oh, and also I would like two white guys who can go around speaking up for White Rights while condemning any black or brown people who's views don't agree with mine, all on taxpayer expense! And I want black people to speak at our conventions, praising the work that we white people do! And if they don't I will label them all as racists!

June 9, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  12. Tate

Talk about a meeting of the minds. Wonder if these people still thank Obama is going to pay there mortgage gas and buy there food for them? yes we can, if not so sad it would be funny.

June 9, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  13. wicked

this I am looking forward to. im sure he will do an amazing job as always.

June 9, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  14. ghost

OK, why is Michael Steele showing up? Not that you have to be black to attend or speak. But it would sure help if he at least liked black people.

OK, that was petty. But probably true.

June 9, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  15. Janet

Are ANY women scheduled to speak??

June 9, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. No to Obama

I thought Obama was half white, Why is it always Obama is first black or first african american. He is either an American or an african or he is black or white. Why dont yoyu democrates quit trying to play both sides of the fence. The Dems are idiots for this, Obama is half of each so maybe he should try to work with both instead of Discriminating against the white people and playing to the black. With Obama its all a GAME and a SMOKE SCREEN.

June 9, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  17. Lori reminds the GOP that in every poll the majority of Americans still blame Bush for the Economic Crisis! Rightfully so.

I love our President representing people of all races and religious groups in this country. It's the American way.

Bush refused to speak before the NAACP? Really? Heck, besides leaving African-Americans to drown in Katrina and frying a lot more with the death penalty as a Texas Governor, no wonder he didn't face the NAACP until 2006. My dislike for Bush has softened now that he is no longer in power, is shutting up, and is no threat to us anymore but then I remember stuff like this...

June 9, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  18. Chris

Seems like he's been addressing this special 'group' long before he became President. Can't this man see past race and work for all the people?

June 9, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  19. Cowboy in West Texas

Any bets it is nationally broadcast on all networks in prime time? I have nothing against his addressing the NAACP – all Presidents should – probably LULAC and other organizations – I just get tired of all his TV time.

June 9, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  20. Ryan Indy

This should be interesting, who is the Key note speaker Jeremiah Wright????? Obama is a Train wreck....

June 9, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  21. Chris D.

Cool. I like Micheal Bloomberg also!!

June 9, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  22. Dee, NJ

Pres "O", I will have my family to listen and to learn what you will tell the World!

June 9, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  23. Joe Unger, San Francisco

Maybe Obama will reflect true leadership and remind blacks that they are not the only minority in this country. Yet Obama did vote for the fence along the Mexican border so probably not.

June 9, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. pam Eugene OR

I hope the Republicans can leave their hate at home for this event. President Obama has been in office less than 5 months and the hate and disrespect is unbelievable.
    He has not had time to succeed or fail at anything. I have faith that President Obama is taking US in the right direction but he needs some time to see how things will work out. He was left an awful mess that was 8 years in the making.

June 9, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  25. Tired of Stupidity

You guys are kidding me right? Okay let's forget that he's the president..... would you give him the business if he lost the election and received media coverage? There are a lot of politicians that I do not agree with, yet they are not deserving of ridicule and the slanderous remarks being made here. It makes you wionder why ANYONE would want the job, all you all do is complaine about what YOU want him to do. Write HIM these letters instead of spewing crap and work through your lives yourself!

He ignored the black people... crap
    he ignores the gays.... crap
    let's stop affermative action... more crap
    wine wine wine...etc...etc...