June 10th, 2009

Crist holds lead in GOP Senate primary

Crist holds a 31 point lead in a new Florida GOP primary poll.
Crist holds a 31 point lead in a new Florida GOP primary poll.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Just about a month after formally declaring his bid for Florida's open Senate seat, a new poll out Wednesday shows Gov. Charlie Crist is maintaining a comfortable lead over his GOP primary challenger.

Crist holds a 31 point lead over former Florida House Speaker Marco Rubio, 54-23 percent, in the new Quinnipiac University Poll. More than 20 percent of Republicans in Florida remain undecided.

The popular first term governor announced in May that he would forgo re-election in 2010 and instead run for the seat being vacated by retiring Sen. Mel Martinez, a fellow Republican. Crist immediately won the backing by the Senate Republican leadership.

The poll surveyed 486 Republicans from June 2-7 and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

Filed under: Charlie Crist
  1. Jen K

Ummm... Lacrossemom, I read Lori's comment and I think she was mocking the name-calling from the GOP rather than outright doing it herself.

June 10, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  2. Logic

Rubio doesn't hold a candle to Crist, neither does Meek. Hopefully Sink pulls ahead, I think she will.

June 10, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  3. Tim S, Tampa

Christ is a disaster as Gov. He has sold out to the insurance business. He recently sold out to the developers. He came out with his GRAND PLAN for health insurance.....Oops that one faded into the shadows too.... The man is the personification of an empty shirt. I guess that qualifies him for higher office.

June 10, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  4. Al-NY,NY

Since over 30% of Republicans cannot even name a person that speaks for the party, AND the leader of those named with 13% is the fat drug addict, the GOP is in BIG TROUBLE. I did not even see their "savior" the lipstick Fido from Alaska in the group!!! So much for her and the left "being afraid." I wish she was the standard bearer and candidate. She would implode so fast that it would be a 49 state landslide in the election. And since Crist had the brain to agree w/ the stimulus you get the usual RINO label. If that's the way to get elected then the American Taliban had better wake up. They way they are going, they will be extinct in a few years (dare I dream!!)

June 10, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  5. Maryann Rose

@ Lacrossemom,

I believe you completely misunderstood Lori's post.

She referred to 'fellow dems' and how she's proud that Crist is supporting the President.

I think you owe her an apology!

Sorry to get involved in this, but just couldn't let your post go uncorrected.

Now, if only CNN would post my comment, perhaps the effort I've spent typing it would be rewarded. The last three comments I've made on the Ticker were never posted.

Why do you ask people to post their opinions, CNN, if you're just selectively posting them? No wonder people think there's a 'left-wing liberal media bias'!

June 10, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  6. A. Goodwin

As a democrat, it seems Crist is a pretty level-headed individual that has made some good decisions for Florida. Its amazing to see a republican with a brain cell in a leadership position. Funny – conservative republicans hate him...yes – hate one of the only men in your party who can think without asking the GOP first.

More of the same from the party of "NO"!

June 10, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  7. Dan in NY

I'm a Democrat, but I have a great deal of respect for Charlie Crist. If the Republican Party ever wants to rebuild and have any level of credibility, it needs to realize that moderate, intelligent, pragmatic thinkers like Crist are the only way to succeed. Yes, he's a Republican, but he also knows that Republicans aren't always right, and Democrats aren't always wrong.

June 10, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |