June 10th, 2009

President Obama congratulates Deeds on victory

Deeds got a call from President Obama late this morning.
Deeds got a call from President Obama late this morning.

RICHMOND, Virginia (CNN) - President Obama called Virginia gubernatorial nominee Creigh Deeds just before noon on Wednesday to congratulate him on his victory in last night's closely-watched Democratic primary, CNN has learned.

The two men spoke after the three Democratic candidates - Deeds, Terry McAuliffe and Brian Moran - appeared with current governor Tim Kaine in Richmond in a show of unity at state party headquarters.

Kaine, who also heads the Democratic National Committee, promised to devote substantial resources to help Deeds defeat Republican Bob McDonnell in November.

Filed under: Creigh Deeds
  1. Publius

Deeds WILL be able to assemble the coalition of democrats, independents, and moderate republicans to win this year. I read that McDonnell's strategy is to portray Deeds as a "tax and spend liberal". Haha – good luck!

June 10, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  2. Classy 57

The State of Virginia has deteriorated considerably since the democrats came to power - it's time for Virginians to see the light and vote Republican!!! There is no industry left in Virginia - what more do you folks need to realize the demos aren't cutting it?????

June 10, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  3. Phil in VA

We don't need Obama meddling in Virginia politics. Kaine has spent the past year and a half stumping for Obama and not enough time on Virginia. I love how one of the first statements made by Deeds was to associate McDonnell with Bush. Is that all the Dems have? Blame Bush and Party of No? Not very compelling...as usual. The sheep love it though. I think VA will be going back to a Republican governor, thankfully.

June 10, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  4. Jeremiah Who?

Terry played the fear card by saying he was the only candidate that could defeat the Republican candidate. Wrong move buddy. The people are sick of the fear mongering, not to mention the way he bad mouthed Barack Obama during the Primary season. Congrats to Mr. Deeds. I pray he will do a fine job and remember he is working for the people of Virginia.

June 10, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  5. Mike in Fairfax, VA

I'm glad he won. I voted for him for the same reasons I voted for Hillary. I want to ensure that if I end up liking the Democrat better than the Republican, I have a good one to vote for. Or that I at least have the lesser of three evils. Didn't work for me in the Presidential Primaries, but it did this time. I can live with Deeds. Would rather have McDonell though. I just hope Deeds gets over his Bush rhetoric.

June 10, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. Angie in Pa

Did anyone think Terry would win the Way he Bashed President Obama during the Primaries? He should have Known!

June 10, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  7. Shawn - GA

2010 the people will send a message. The same people who were against Obama, with the addition of those who realize they were fooled by Obama will have their voices heard.

Those of us not looking for a handout, in addition to those of us who thought they would get one and are seeing that was never going to happen will have their voices heard…

Those of us who knew that Obama would not come through with his promises just as he did to the people of IL, in addition to those who now have their eyes open as they see this administration saying that they "over stated" and were "overly optimistic" will have their voices heard.

the list goes on and on…. weather people vote Dem. Ind. or Rep. One thing is for sure never again will a majority fall for the no substance big wishes and promises campaigning again.

2012 is too far away to make any guesses of intelligence… this Administration may come around and actually try to help people… or 2012 will be very interesting.

You will notice this post does not contain hurtful comments nor name calling... Let us please conduct ourselves with honor.

June 10, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |