June 10th, 2009

Wright: 'Them Jews' won't let Obama talk to me

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

(CNN) - The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor whose racially-charged sermons threatened to implode President Obama's primary bid last year, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

"Them Jews aren't going to let him talk to me," Wright told Virginia newspaper The Daily Press when asked if he still spoke with Obama. "I told my baby daughter, that he'll talk to me in five years when he's a lame duck, or in eight years when he's out of office."

"They will not let him to talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is," he added. "I said from the beginning: He's a politician; I'm a pastor. He's got to do what politicians do."

The former pastor of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ, where Obama was a congregant for nearly two decades, also told the paper he holds no grudges against the president's very public break from Wright last year.

"He's my son. I'm proud of him," Wright said. "I've got five biological kids. They all make mistakes and bad choices. I haven't stopped loving any of them. He made mistakes. He made bad choices. I've got kids who listen to their friends. He listened to those around him. I did not disown him."

Wright, who became a lighting rod for criticism last year after members of the media unearthed controversial sermons criticizing the U.S. government, also said he has no regrets for the heated language he has used on the pulpit.

"Regret for what…that the media went back five, seven, 10 years and spent $4,000 buying 20 years worth of sermons to hear what I've been preaching for 20 years?" he said. "Regret for preaching like I've been preaching for 50 years? Absolutely none."

The White House is not commenting on Wright's remarks.

Filed under: Jeremiah Wright • Popular Posts
  1. ike

If every black voter was like Wright then Obama would have lost in a landslide. He's a jealous old man...mad because he is no longer the center of attention of the black community

June 10, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  2. Jayden,FL

This man IS a RACIST and I don't think he's worth being called "Reverend"

June 10, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  3. Aaron

This is the problem with the world. "Your entitled to your opinion". It's not an opinion that the Army was exposing black soldiers to syphilis in the Tuskegee Experiments, where they brought it home to their wives and children. That's not an opinion. Just like it's not an opinion that the 95% of the wealth is in less than 5% of population, and of that 5% most of them are Jewish Families. It's not an opinion, that we are propping up a Police State military dictatorship for our "Allies" in Israel, and it's not a opinion, that the international banking cartels and the military industrial complex which is taking this country into hardcore tyranny, by way of Authoritatrian Socialism, are using the Cloven Piven method. It's not opinion if a dog is mauling your arm. " Oh I'm just a rascist or whatever key word you can use to co-opt social engineers, predictive programming.

June 10, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  4. JCLN

Nice grammar, Pastor. Nice racism, Pastor. Time to extricate your head from your posterior and join reality. With people like you in the pulpit, it's no wonder we have weirdo, religious nuts in this country spewing their crap.

June 10, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  5. Susan

I am a Democrat but I don't like some of Obama's actions:

He ignores his extremely poor brothers and sisters; his illegal immigrant aunt;

after all HE IS A POLITICIAN and he can throw anybody under the bus.

June 10, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  6. toddparker

Jesus Christ. Wait, isn't he the root of all these problems?

June 10, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  7. Michigan Jim

Sorry Dems, but there's no moral equivalency here between Rev. Wright and Limbaugh, Cheney, Hannity, etc. Rev. Wright expressly speaks racism in stark terms. Limbaugh, Cheney, etc. simply strongly disagree with BHO's policy prescriptions. Yes, there is a difference in the two forms of speech, although many of you seem to believe that any opposition to BHO is inherently rascist.

June 10, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  8. Dee

Alzheimer's??? One could almost hope. Not being very smart but he can exercise his freedom of speech. I am so tired of hate and anger from everyone.

June 10, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  9. Where's the Peace

Seriously? If it's true that Rev. Wright said these things then I feel sorry for him. I feel sorry that as a Clergyman he feels this type of rhetoric is God-like, peaceful and right. He needs to look inward and worry about his mind and soul - does he speak from love? Does he speak from a desire to bring people together, to respectfully dialogue and disagree or is he speaking from hate and jealousy, ego and pride.

June 10, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  10. what if

hypothetically indeed "them jews" are insulating obama from speaking to anyone who disagrees with "them jews"?

have you checked out those surrounding obama?

does anyone believe that obama somehow overcame racism with his personal charisma and reached the pinnacle of power on his own???

June 10, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |