June 10th, 2009

Wright: 'Them Jews' won't let Obama talk to me

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

(CNN) - The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor whose racially-charged sermons threatened to implode President Obama's primary bid last year, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

"Them Jews aren't going to let him talk to me," Wright told Virginia newspaper The Daily Press when asked if he still spoke with Obama. "I told my baby daughter, that he'll talk to me in five years when he's a lame duck, or in eight years when he's out of office."

"They will not let him to talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is," he added. "I said from the beginning: He's a politician; I'm a pastor. He's got to do what politicians do."

The former pastor of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ, where Obama was a congregant for nearly two decades, also told the paper he holds no grudges against the president's very public break from Wright last year.

"He's my son. I'm proud of him," Wright said. "I've got five biological kids. They all make mistakes and bad choices. I haven't stopped loving any of them. He made mistakes. He made bad choices. I've got kids who listen to their friends. He listened to those around him. I did not disown him."

Wright, who became a lighting rod for criticism last year after members of the media unearthed controversial sermons criticizing the U.S. government, also said he has no regrets for the heated language he has used on the pulpit.

"Regret for what…that the media went back five, seven, 10 years and spent $4,000 buying 20 years worth of sermons to hear what I've been preaching for 20 years?" he said. "Regret for preaching like I've been preaching for 50 years? Absolutely none."

The White House is not commenting on Wright's remarks.

Filed under: Jeremiah Wright • Popular Posts
  1. Pragmatic

Its freedom of speech – for Cheney or Wright ... and I don't listen to either ....

June 10, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  2. Sam I Am

Obviously there are nut cases on both sides of the political fence. This man is one of them. Wright doesn't have the good sense to think about what he is saying. Neither does Limbaugh. Perhaps they could save some money and both broadcast from the same studio at the same time?
    They'd cancel each other out, and all we'd hear would be dead air. Perfect solution!

June 10, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  3. gt

the true voice of chicago politics

June 10, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  4. I am The Great and Powerful Wizard of Rush

Wright is very similar to Limbaugh; like opposite ends of a magnet.
    Thank for CNN for promoting hate (snark on).

June 10, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  5. Greg & Matt in Houston

Christians have no problem showing their bigotry, they even seem proud of it. Man, "them Jews" must be almost as bad as "them Gays"....are they 2nd Class Citizens too???

June 10, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  6. Robin

Oh look...the hate monger is back.

June 10, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  7. Sean nabster

The Reverand Wright seems to speak before he thinks. Sometimes, it's better to keep very negative comment to yourself, rather than speak harsh about a people and cause bitter feelings.

June 10, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  8. Independent

If Wright is so intelligent like people say he should understand why his hate speech causes others to distance themselves from him. Get over it, Jeremiah.

June 10, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  9. The Original No Incumbents 2010

Looking at President Obama's action towards Israel thus far, I don't think it will take too long before Rev. Wright and the President are old chums again.

June 10, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  10. justin

Obama and Wright have the same views. This is the reasone BO is thying to destroy relations with Israel and buddy up with Palestine. They have the same ideas about Jews and their existance.

Did any bosy notice we have had our 2nd terrorist attack on US soil in the last 2 weeks. I just dont feel safe in our own country anymore. You think your prophet will do anything to keep us same on our own soil? Doubt it

June 10, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  11. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Tell it like it is Jeremiah. No regrets! Don't bite your tongue for anyone.

June 10, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  12. Chris

Nice guy....not!

Clearly the guy I want leading my church. ;-)

June 10, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  13. Takeshi

50/50 split on this. He has the right to speak and preach what he wants. but yet we also alow hate groups to do the same. so we realy cant say he is unamerican.

June 10, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  14. ConsiderThis, FL

Rev. Wright says that he's a pastor. The Bible calls a pastor a shepherd. A shepherd does not seek to hurt or injure a sheep in any way, shape or form. In fact, the Shepherd does everything he can to protect the sheep. It looks to me that Rev. Wright is playing the "politician" role while President Obama is living the life of a Shepherd. Wright should be careful not to grieve the Holy Spirit.

June 10, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  15. Craig

This guy just can't keep his face away from a camera and a microphone.

Obama was right to dump this clown.

June 10, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  16. Mich

It's because of people like rev.wright ,and his friends we have things like the shooting at the Mall in washington D.C.

June 10, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  17. Aaron

Obama used Wright's church for social ties to the community. Obama obvioulsy thinks he's a nut if he's not talking to him anymore. And Rev Wright while I'm sure is a good man and does a lot of his community seems to also be a hateful man. Sometimes you call a space a spade. Sometime you just keep the comments to yourself. Mr Wright apparently doesn't have that switch installed.

June 10, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  18. Dawn in Pa

This is going to be interesting... Mmm

The jews won't let him talk to him.... Mmm

He is a radical racist'.... Mmm

I would not speak to you either....Nah...

Hey Jeremiah Wright talk to the pastor of Sarah Palin, you know the one who will protect her from people like me...A witch.... but no one on the Campagn trail did not mention that one, you betcha... Why is that? What is good for the goose is good for the gander....

June 10, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  19. Mike

Go away Mr. Wright, this country needs unity, not division.

June 10, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  20. The Original No Incumbents 2010

Seems like Rev. Wright listened more than Obama did for 20 years.

June 10, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  21. Renee

Rev. Wright just keeps showing what a hypocrite he is. He condemns racism from the pulpit, but only if it is racism against blacks. Racism against the rest of God's children seems to be perfectly okay with him.

June 10, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  22. ghost

OK.........A bit over the top on this one Rev.

I was with right till you had to go all anti-semetic. Everything else I agree with you on. Of course Obama can't hang out with you. I don't agree with him having to go that far for his political future, nor do I agree with him doing it at all. But the other side really hates that you bring up their issues that have plagued us for some time now. Even as the president goes abraod trying to mend old ties, the other side is riduculing him. They hate the fact that their wrongs are put into the light.

June 10, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  23. Scott the Independent

Rev Wright with all due respect – leave the man alone. If he wanted to talk to you he is POTUS now and could do so whenever he felt the slightest desire. If he hasn't spoken with you it not the Jews but it could be your bad breath. A one brother to another I'm jus sayin.

June 10, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  24. What Me Worry?

Ah, God's spokesman speaks again.

June 10, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  25. Matt

Wow....seriously???

Will somebody put this racist in his palce??? Democrat, Republican, anybody????

June 10, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |