June 10th, 2009

Wright: 'Them Jews' won't let Obama talk to me

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

(CNN) - The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor whose racially-charged sermons threatened to implode President Obama's primary bid last year, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

"Them Jews aren't going to let him talk to me," Wright told Virginia newspaper The Daily Press when asked if he still spoke with Obama. "I told my baby daughter, that he'll talk to me in five years when he's a lame duck, or in eight years when he's out of office."

"They will not let him to talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is," he added. "I said from the beginning: He's a politician; I'm a pastor. He's got to do what politicians do."

The former pastor of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ, where Obama was a congregant for nearly two decades, also told the paper he holds no grudges against the president's very public break from Wright last year.

"He's my son. I'm proud of him," Wright said. "I've got five biological kids. They all make mistakes and bad choices. I haven't stopped loving any of them. He made mistakes. He made bad choices. I've got kids who listen to their friends. He listened to those around him. I did not disown him."

Wright, who became a lighting rod for criticism last year after members of the media unearthed controversial sermons criticizing the U.S. government, also said he has no regrets for the heated language he has used on the pulpit.

"Regret for what…that the media went back five, seven, 10 years and spent $4,000 buying 20 years worth of sermons to hear what I've been preaching for 20 years?" he said. "Regret for preaching like I've been preaching for 50 years? Absolutely none."

The White House is not commenting on Wright's remarks.

Filed under: Jeremiah Wright • Popular Posts
  1. Fabian

So he has a thing against the Jews, so what? When I hear about the racist white hillbilly rubes spouting racist epithets against Arabs and muslims, then Jeremiah pales in comparison. Everyone has someone to hate, whether it's jews, blacks, arabs, latinos, gays, whites, etc. If you can truly say you cast no aspersions on any group whatsoever, then you can say you are not a racist. Jeremiah is a black Limbaugh, nothing more, and this article should not even be news.

June 10, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  2. history repeats

religion breeds the dumbest ideas

June 10, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  3. Matt: Honestly

For those of you don't hear Hannity or Rush or Bill O' don't use hateful language, how many times have you heard them speaking against the Muslim religion? Since "Jew" is in reference to a religion, not a race, it is not racism. I am not saying what Wright said is good or correct, but to say hate is not spread by Fox News is just plain ignorant. Just as ignorant as Rev. Wright.

June 10, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  4. Hillary 2012

Obama must be an idiot. He sat and listened to anti-American hate for 20 years and never once left or condemned Wright.

Everytime I have seen Wright he appears to be a straight up nutcase.

June 10, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  5. nick

whats wrong with "them jews"? isnt Rahm a jew? isnt axelrod a jew? if the shoe fits, wear it.

June 10, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  6. mjm

Right.... they went back 5, 7 10 years to find his racist remarks.

Or, they could have just waited for today's headline.

THIS was our president’s mentor. Nuff said.

June 10, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  7. chuck Tulsa

If this guy was such an “associate” of the Presidents’, like the wing-nutts tried to imply before the election, how come he is persona non grata now that President Obama is in power?

Another radical wing-nutt theory disproved; AGAIN. Who really cares what this man thinks.

June 10, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. Ed

When will the Obama 'Sheep' in this country wake up?

June 10, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  9. KG, Twin Cities

I truly believe my president is smart enough to not want to talk to Rev. Wright.

June 10, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  10. ABMiller

Obama says he never knew you, depart.

June 10, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  11. Unfazed

Wright is all about Wright. Limbaugh is all about Limbaugh. Cheney is all about Cheney. Jackson is all about Jackson. Palin is all about Palin.

There is much work to be done to get this country back on track. We cannot afford to focus on men and women who are only promoting division and hatred. President Obama and his administration are working to get us moving in the right direction. Not everyone will agree with the way it's being done, that's to be expected. But, turnaround is in progress, thanks to the efforts of the men and women who do what they're elected/appointed to do. Let's get behind them and encourage/support them.

June 10, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  12. esblofeld

See, the problem here is that Republicans absorb everything their preachers say like a sponge, so they assume more rational and open-minded people like Obama do the same. If you've never disagreed with something your pastor says, then you're really not getting anything out of it other than solidifying your own biases.

June 10, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. Wolves 4 Palin Charlotte, NC

Obama is a free man; he doesn't want to talk to you. You sabotaged your opportunity with your BIG mouth. Now, go away and SHUT the he*l up!

June 10, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. Brandon

Obama had to have heard this man espouse his views over the past 20 years, whether in church or in a more private setting. Of course, come election time, he made every effort to distance himself from Rev Wright's views.

June 10, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  15. ruth

Someone please lock him up with Limbaugh. These people are dangerous and should not be allow in public.

June 10, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  16. obama support team

this is irrelevant. just like Rush and Hannity are irrelevant. They spew off falsehoods and negativity.

June 10, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  17. Luke Brown

I don't know who Wright is talking about ... but three cheers for "them Jews" who are keeping him away from Obama.

June 10, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  18. Jared

He will always be a thorn in Obama's flesh.

Some ask why Obama was a part of this church. I think it was probably more a matter of Obama seeking a connection with the black community, than his personal connection with Mr. Wright. Rev. Wright is very similar to a lot of preachers of the same ilk. It's a whole shtick they have, and it works. Of course, outsiders would think the guy is nuts. It's all a show though.

So far, I am happy with Obama's conduct. I think he probably spent some years as a youthful zealot, but so did a lot of people, including myself. As he got older, he chilled out a bit and became the pragmatic centrist he is now proving to be. Obama is shaping up to be a good President.

June 10, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  19. ~~ July ~~

You know .. I never had anything against this man ... Jeremiah Wright, but lately he is annoying me. He knows he is being use by the media and yet he falls for it eveytime .......

June 10, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  20. Erik in Iowa City

Crazy people don't really "talk" to anyone anyway.

June 10, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  21. Jimmy

For those who wonder what's wrong with saying "them Jews", it's simple: their religion has nothing to do with what he's saying. If he said, "Those Chevy-driving men won't let me see him!" wouldn't you think to yourself, "That's odd, I wonder why he brought Chevrolet into it and said it in a derogatory fashion - that has nothing to do with it." It's the same thing, only worse because Chevy drivers are not typically discriminated against and persecuted the ways Jews have been!

June 10, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  22. LindaSue

Such a Godly man...I'm so proud.

June 10, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  23. I wonder why

I wonder why this guy has so much to say? There must be something in the water he drinks! I only hope he show the appropiate respect to the president as he would want people to respect him.

June 10, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  24. playlist

Wright and Limbaugh...plain as black & white...both racists with divide and conquer agendas...these people fear someone like our President who is bringing us together as a nation....

June 10, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |