June 10th, 2009

Wright: 'Them Jews' won't let Obama talk to me

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

(CNN) - The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor whose racially-charged sermons threatened to implode President Obama's primary bid last year, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

"Them Jews aren't going to let him talk to me," Wright told Virginia newspaper The Daily Press when asked if he still spoke with Obama. "I told my baby daughter, that he'll talk to me in five years when he's a lame duck, or in eight years when he's out of office."

"They will not let him to talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is," he added. "I said from the beginning: He's a politician; I'm a pastor. He's got to do what politicians do."

The former pastor of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ, where Obama was a congregant for nearly two decades, also told the paper he holds no grudges against the president's very public break from Wright last year.

"He's my son. I'm proud of him," Wright said. "I've got five biological kids. They all make mistakes and bad choices. I haven't stopped loving any of them. He made mistakes. He made bad choices. I've got kids who listen to their friends. He listened to those around him. I did not disown him."

Wright, who became a lighting rod for criticism last year after members of the media unearthed controversial sermons criticizing the U.S. government, also said he has no regrets for the heated language he has used on the pulpit.

"Regret for what…that the media went back five, seven, 10 years and spent $4,000 buying 20 years worth of sermons to hear what I've been preaching for 20 years?" he said. "Regret for preaching like I've been preaching for 50 years? Absolutely none."

The White House is not commenting on Wright's remarks.

Filed under: Jeremiah Wright • Popular Posts
  1. Lucille

Too bad this guy is back in the news. I thought we were rid of him.

June 10, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  2. ThinkAboutIt

Well, Dems aren't perfect and unfortunately, we have to put up with egomaniacs like Wright. What a stupid thing to say! How disappointing! I was cutting him some slack for some of the previous things he's said; now, I just think he's another idiot with a microphone.

June 10, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  3. Bonnie

Like my 90 year old mother says, with friends like him, who needs enemas?

June 10, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  4. Susan L.

The good reverend is off his rocker. He had some points to make at one point, but, lately, he seems to be all about ego and lots and lots of nutty conspiracy stuff. I hope he gets better soon.

June 10, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. JA/TN

man get over yourself, are you really all that you claim, is it about you, my entire family voted for him none of us has received a thank you call

June 10, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  6. Dan

When JFK became President, he cut off ties with Frank Sinatra, because Sinatra was linked to the Mafia. Did the Jews cause that too?

June 10, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  7. dreamer

Lol,here we go again.Can't some folks just learn to keep their thoughts to them selfs?Between the repubs and his old paster it seems that Mr.Oboma gets no breaks in the media now days.Can we give the man some room to work.We can vote him back in or out on how he does but intil then,give the man a break.I not to pleased with his job so far on some issues but on others i do agree and when the time comes i will grade his job pass-or-fail in the voting both as well as all americans that care to vote as well.Hence we are a democratic country and proud of that.

June 10, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  8. TCM

Obama's still talking to him; this is a political stunt; aimed at showing Obama trying to distanct himself from radicals....Just like his recent use of Jesus at ND...and other speeches; claims he's a Christian but then supports abortion and gay rights....what a flim-flam!

June 10, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  9. shura mckinney

one word to this has been pastor..even though i hesitate to call him a pastor....joke....

June 10, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  10. Lori believes the GOP's rhetoric is breeding White Supermacists

Right now, I am fearful for my country. Not because of Rev. Wright (what the heck can he do) but I am afraid that the Conservatives fear-mongering and race baiting is causing white supermacists in the country over the edge. Jewish people aren't afraid of an idiot like Rev. Wright but many people are afraid of all the race-baiting that is going on in the Republican party today. Their political leaders pretend to like the Jewish community however, some of their followers are racists against blacks and Jews (especially those in red states). Let's not kid ourselves. White Supremacists are NOT voting for the Democrats (and definately not for President Obama), they tend to be right-wing nuts (conservatives).

June 10, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  11. Cromwell

Rev. Wright and Rush Limbaugh have something in common.
    Neither one is a credit to their race.

June 10, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  12. Mickey Dean

oh come on people. not all christians are this stupid.

oh wait. nevermind.

June 10, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  13. Joe - Chicago

Yup, its the jews and has nothing to do with the fact you're a raving lunatic who did his best to derail President Obama's campaign.

June 10, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  14. TheFabOne

If it's true what he said about 'them Jews', then I can't hold with that. Rev. Wright, please don't embarrass your President, your so-called 'friend', any longer.

We in the Black community need new leaders. People like this, like Jesse Jackleg, like Rappin' Al Sharpton make progressive African-Americans like me cringe. In embarrassment.

June 10, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  15. Ken

Religious Fanatacism – can't beat it for craziness! This man (like many other loonies) should never be heard from again!

June 10, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  16. history repeats

the fact is america has been very hard on black people up until about 20 yrs ago. when i heard rev. wright's sermon i didnt think it was crazy. everybody was telling me "you have to hear what he said, its nuts" i watched it and it turned out that i didnt think it was far fetched at all!! blacks were treated like animals for GENERATIONS!! they were raped and killed and used as free work for hundreds of yrs and white america is insulted by what this guy said? are we really that ignorant? is it really that insulting?? however the man is pretty pathetic in this article comparing obama to one of his kids. thats just plain ignorance. but what do you expect. monotheism is all about worshipping and obediance regardless of proof. this guy is a reverand. he thinks he is the head of his community. he thinks he has a hand to GOD! a mythical creature in the clouds!! he thinks he deserves something from obama i guess. religion is truly poisoness.

June 10, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  17. Ted Tartaglia

It is no wonder Obama doesn't talk to him. Just read his remarks. Wright sure sounds like a racist based on his remarks.

June 10, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  18. nola

Rev. Wright needs to go away for a long long time. President Obama has too many serious issues to address – he does not have the time to engage in any of Rev. Wright's hate conversations.

June 10, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  19. lefty loosy

What an idiot Wright makes Jesse Jackson look like the
    great white hope. Should change his name to WRONG.
    Racist ,and I quote the article "SPADE"
    Hope this goes on line or can only he callout Spade.

June 10, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  20. Trey J

I am a big Obama backer! I think he's doing a good job despite the what others might say.
    If Rev. Wright feels that way well (he's no different from any other American using his 1st Amendment rights)
    Sometimes it is what it is!

June 10, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  21. Edy from NJ

Wright is right. President Obama is a politician and he is playing the political game with us, his own voters. President Obama said he is going to improve the economy ASAP, but only 5% of the stimulus money has gone in the market. Why the government is still holding the 95% of the money? People are losing jobs every day. People need to get back to work. I made a mistake for voting for you, but it won’t happen again.

June 10, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  22. Aaron

This is the problem with the world. "Your entitled to your opinion". It's not an opinion that the Army was exposing black soldiers to syphilis in the Tuskegee Experiments, where they brought it home to their wives and children. That's not an opinion. Just like it's not an opinion that the 95% of the wealth is in less than 5% of population, and of that 5% most of them are Jewish Families. It's not an opinion, that we are propping up a Police State military dictatorship for our "Allies" in Israel, and it's not a opinion, that probably 100% of the anti semitism in the world comes from the international banking cartels and the military industrial complex which is taking this country into hardcore tyranny, by way of Authoritatrian Socialism, using Cloven Piven method. It's not opinion if a dog is mauling your arm. " Oh your just a rascist or whatever key word you can use to co-opt your master's predictive programming.

June 10, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  23. Joan

It doesn't matter what that pastor says...surely no one with any intellect listens to him. He is filled with hate.

June 10, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  24. Adam

Wow really? So now he's an anti-Semite? This guy just wants attention.

June 10, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  25. Independent from PA

PLEASE GO AWAY... you embarass people of african descent. you are way too polarizing. There are no "thems'. We are all one human race!

June 10, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |