June 10th, 2009

Wright: 'Them Jews' won't let Obama talk to me

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

(CNN) - The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor whose racially-charged sermons threatened to implode President Obama's primary bid last year, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

"Them Jews aren't going to let him talk to me," Wright told Virginia newspaper The Daily Press when asked if he still spoke with Obama. "I told my baby daughter, that he'll talk to me in five years when he's a lame duck, or in eight years when he's out of office."

"They will not let him to talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is," he added. "I said from the beginning: He's a politician; I'm a pastor. He's got to do what politicians do."

The former pastor of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ, where Obama was a congregant for nearly two decades, also told the paper he holds no grudges against the president's very public break from Wright last year.

"He's my son. I'm proud of him," Wright said. "I've got five biological kids. They all make mistakes and bad choices. I haven't stopped loving any of them. He made mistakes. He made bad choices. I've got kids who listen to their friends. He listened to those around him. I did not disown him."

Wright, who became a lighting rod for criticism last year after members of the media unearthed controversial sermons criticizing the U.S. government, also said he has no regrets for the heated language he has used on the pulpit.

"Regret for what…that the media went back five, seven, 10 years and spent $4,000 buying 20 years worth of sermons to hear what I've been preaching for 20 years?" he said. "Regret for preaching like I've been preaching for 50 years? Absolutely none."

The White House is not commenting on Wright's remarks.

Filed under: Jeremiah Wright • Popular Posts
  1. J.P.

I find it hard to believe Obama was "suddenly" blindsided just LAST YEAR by this guy's bigotry, and never saw, heard or felt it before hand. Come on, you don't sit in Archie Bunker's church for 20 years and NOT know the guy's a bigot.

Those kinds of words don't just fall out of your cranial oriface without them being reeeeeeeeeeally, really close to one's heart.

But what do I know... I'm just a typical white man who doesn't share Wright and Obama's rich experiences and therefore, my conclusion is likely very wrong.

June 10, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  2. joseph

What he is calling a spade a spade? if I called him a spade it would be racist !!!!!

June 10, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  3. carol

Please, go away!

June 10, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  4. jeff

Wright belongs in jail. Bibi and the jews aren't scared of you Wright or your hateful sermons

June 10, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  5. Stan

Just another loud mouth who has had his 15 minutes of fame. Why do we continue to hear about his racial views?

June 10, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  6. Veronica

Looks like someone's trying to regain his 15 minutes of fame again ... please. Just go away!

June 10, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  7. Esco

Great, here we go again. Why don't you just live your life normally, instead of attracting this media frenzy again? This is so embarassing...

June 10, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. fortydammer

Looking for air time! Just like Hanity, Limbaugh, and Glenn Beck. Stir up the worst in people, and this is what you get.

June 10, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  9. Matt in CT

Who cares what this windbag says?

June 10, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  10. Lynn

Stupid man. He's not talking with you because he doesn't agree with your crazy ideology. Don't you watch TV? He's the POTUS, "the Jews" are doing what he tell them to do.

June 10, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  11. Stu

sick and hateful and this is a clergyman!

June 10, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  12. yes we can

Rev. Jeremiah Wright,
    shut it,go away so long bye bye

June 10, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  13. steve

i quess a spade is a spade....no one would listen when this was brought out during the campaign..and no one will listen now...but if a jew calls a spade a spade they will be a racist

June 10, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  14. phoenix86

Wright has nothing to do with Christianity.

June 10, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  15. jimboe

Call a spade a spade? How out of touch is this guy? Obama disowned YOU and for good reason.

June 10, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  16. Richard Barkin

That he would so comment is hardly surprising. I did not and do not attribute what he says to the President. However, the fact that someone with these views held a role for so many years as a spiritual mentor cannot help create unease among those of us who are part of the minority group that this man chooses to target.

June 10, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  17. Jon in CA

Of COURSE Obama doesn't want to talk to Rev Wright.... there is no political advantage in doing so!

Wright was Obama's spiritual adviser, married him & michelle, baptized his daughters, inspired the book "Audacity of Hope"...... but Obama won't take his call????

LOL... just shows you how deep Obama's faith really is.

June 10, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  18. Sher F. Eugene, Oregon

Even though I tried frantically for several years to find a church to "fit" my daughter, she thought of herself to be an antheist... until she heard Reverend Wright's sermons and "attended" his church online! She now considers herself to be a 100% Christian, goes to church and couldn't believe she'd thought otherwise prior! That's all I care about!

When Reverend Wright isn't taken out of context with bits and pieces by the media... I understand completely what he is saying more than any other priest or pastor I've ever heard! And I was raised Catholic and attended church every single Sunday for most of my life and other churches in between!

I love that man for his truth telling!

June 10, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  19. Xavier

Wright who? Only the GOp still thinks Wright matters. Most Americans have already moved on from this garbage, but I guess the GOP didnt get the memo.

June 10, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  20. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Welcome back! Just when you thought it was safe to go into the water ...

June 10, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  21. Nero

Sometimes it is just best to keep your mouth shut... Too bad this guy doesn't know that.

June 10, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  22. Debby

All Obama's looney friends coming out to roost. First it was Ayers and now this nut. My guess by next year Wright will be holding sermons at the White House.

June 10, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  23. Doc

I'm always mildly amused at how shallow anti-semitism is and how easily it's exposed. Rev. Wright is a classic racist, as are many of the collective pastors, preachers, evangelists. I'm reminded of that classic line from Wm. S. Burroughs "Naked Lunch".....'...all them Jews want to do is doodle a christian gal.'
    They just can't win...

June 10, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  24. Jessica

I have far to many relatives and friends with insane political views to throw them all under the bus or into the ocean simply because we do not agree.

America needs to grow up...because it's a sad commentary on who we are as a people, when we cannot allow or accept others for being different...

I think Rev Wright, like most people his age, is stuck in his ways and sticking to his guns – for no other reason than stubborness. I don't agree with everything he's said, though I understand the emotion behind his sermons. I may be white, but I definitely understand being oppressed and feeling like no matter how hard you work, the white MAN will always have his foot on your neck.

June 10, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  25. Fair is Fair

For 20 years, Obama sat in this guy's church. He only ditched him because it was politically correct to do so. No matter what Obama says.

June 10, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |