June 10th, 2009

Wright: 'Them Jews' won't let Obama talk to me

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

(CNN) - The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor whose racially-charged sermons threatened to implode President Obama's primary bid last year, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

"Them Jews aren't going to let him talk to me," Wright told Virginia newspaper The Daily Press when asked if he still spoke with Obama. "I told my baby daughter, that he'll talk to me in five years when he's a lame duck, or in eight years when he's out of office."

"They will not let him to talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is," he added. "I said from the beginning: He's a politician; I'm a pastor. He's got to do what politicians do."

The former pastor of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ, where Obama was a congregant for nearly two decades, also told the paper he holds no grudges against the president's very public break from Wright last year.

"He's my son. I'm proud of him," Wright said. "I've got five biological kids. They all make mistakes and bad choices. I haven't stopped loving any of them. He made mistakes. He made bad choices. I've got kids who listen to their friends. He listened to those around him. I did not disown him."

Wright, who became a lighting rod for criticism last year after members of the media unearthed controversial sermons criticizing the U.S. government, also said he has no regrets for the heated language he has used on the pulpit.

"Regret for what…that the media went back five, seven, 10 years and spent $4,000 buying 20 years worth of sermons to hear what I've been preaching for 20 years?" he said. "Regret for preaching like I've been preaching for 50 years? Absolutely none."

The White House is not commenting on Wright's remarks.

Filed under: Jeremiah Wright • Popular Posts
  1. Independent

Get yourselves ready you socialist, because you do eat your own. Obummer could have put Wright out of everyones mind with a little truthfulness....OH I forgot ....truth is not part of the socialist agenda. Lies and big debt and big government with state run businesses is the order of the day. Has Chavez made his reservation for the Lincoln bedroom. I'm sure he would get a big kick and maybe a few ideas from reading Obummers college papers, if he would let them be public. What could this Prez of yours be hiding.

June 10, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  2. Democrat in MD (CNN please post. Thank you!)

Rev. Wright: LEAVE THE PRESIDENT ALONE!! If he wanted to talk to you, he would do so. "Nuff said!
    P.S. Apologize for your racist remark!!

June 10, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  3. Kenneth

Sorry Reverend, but becoming the President of the United States isn't a bad choice. The bad choice was being associated with you. That was the mistake.

June 10, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  4. bert

Wright has to stop hating the players and start hating the game! Life in America is what it is. Stop hating the people and start hating the system. Make systemic changes instead of adding to the hate quotient.

It is called tact. If I were Obama, I would stay away from this idiot too.

June 10, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  5. Mike

I am a passionate Obama supporter. That being said I just don't see what he saw in this guy. He is a small minded angry bigot. And he is supposed to be a man of God? How sad.

June 10, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  6. Ted

Oh, dear God, what is it going to take to shut this man up! In the first place, it's an ignorant and offensive statement that certainly sounds anti-Semitic even though he will certainly deny being anti-Semitic. It's inexcusable for anyone to say such hateful things, let alone when they will be taken by many to reflect badly on the President. Secondly, he's too long been a political liability for a man who is trying to make significant improvements to the lives of Americans and he needs to learn not to impede the President's success. Finally, saying something so thoughtless and stupid seems motivated solely by the man's ego and desire to be in the spotlight. Evidently, he has to learn that his ego should serve the interests of the country, not vice-versa.

Wright is managing only to prove that he's a pathetic excuse for a man of God.

June 10, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  7. bess

does this explain why Obama's haven't been back to church?

June 10, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  8. Matt

"that he'll talk to me in five years when he's a lame duck, or in eight years when he's out of office"

At this rate it will be even sooner that he will talk to you. Like in less than 4 years.

June 10, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  9. Jetty

Please remain a pastor for now. Barack Obama is a president and would be that way for the next eight years.

June 10, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  10. Annia

This guy needs to just shut it already!

June 10, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  11. Mike in NYC

His controversial sermons weren't just anti-government, they were anti-White.

First Whites, now Jews. At least he's an equal opportunity offender.

June 10, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  12. Terence

Rev. Wright needs to be quiet and stop spreading dissension. I think he is jealous of President Obama, and would destroy everything to get attention.

June 10, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  13. fella from Chicago

"Them Jews (and white folks) won't let me talk to him". Don't worry Pastor, he still one of yours. You married him and baptized his children. Yep, I bet in his heart you and Ayers are never far away.

June 10, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  14. sabrina

Jeremiah, I would think that you as a pastor would and should know that Jesus was a Jew. So ignorant.

June 10, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  15. Enough

Gotta love this guy, too bad the media was too busy going to Alaska during Obamas campaign. After spending 20 years in his church, Obama never heard anything. Guess the Old hearing aids weren't working!!

June 10, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  16. Raynard Rogers

Keep doing what you are doing, and just like you said, when Washington has taken all the fire out of his eyes, he will then come back and want to talk with you when he's a lame duck president.

June 10, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  17. Don Comer

Why should President Obama talk to Rev. Wright ever again? Wright could have been the #1 spiritual advisor to an American president, but seems to go out of his way to make himself repulsive and problematic, and to no good purpose. It is he who abandoned Obama, not the other way around.

June 10, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  18. Jason

Hahahahaa man it's a good thing Obama broke off all ties with this guy.

June 10, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  19. Classy 57

If the press would ignore this man, he would go away. By printing and discussing what he has to say he is encouraged to say even more. I am not an Obama fan, did not vote for him, have grave concerns for this country, but using this prejudice ignorant so-called pastor for "news" does not help our country nor does it hurt Obama. It just creates talking points for the news pundits.

June 10, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  20. Lisa, Laughlin NV

Doesn't that give you all a warm and fuzzy feeling all over to know that Jeremiah Wright thinks of Obama as a son!

With a father like that....well you all get the picture!!!

I wounder why it is that he feels Obama will talk with him again AFTER his political life dies out. What gives him that idea? Did Obama tell him that he had to throw Rev. Wrigjt under the bus in order to keep his own political life intact. It was all a farse!

June 10, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  21. John M in NoHo CA

Cue the Hannity crowd linking those words to Obama, even though the whole point is that he's not talking to Wright! God, this'll be hilarious.

June 10, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  22. Millie Bea

He is no man of God.

June 10, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  23. RAG

The man should be examined for a stroke or a degenerative brain disease. That is the only explaination.

June 10, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  24. Marie in California

Sounds like something Wright would say. I still can't believe Obama willfully marinated in the hatred and delusion of Wright's preaching in that church for about 20 years.

June 10, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  25. John G

Wait a minute...Wright couldn't have said that....I thought only white republicans were hate mongering racists...

June 10, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |