June 10th, 2009

Wright: 'Them Jews' won't let Obama talk to me

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

(CNN) - The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor whose racially-charged sermons threatened to implode President Obama's primary bid last year, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

"Them Jews aren't going to let him talk to me," Wright told Virginia newspaper The Daily Press when asked if he still spoke with Obama. "I told my baby daughter, that he'll talk to me in five years when he's a lame duck, or in eight years when he's out of office."

"They will not let him to talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is," he added. "I said from the beginning: He's a politician; I'm a pastor. He's got to do what politicians do."

The former pastor of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ, where Obama was a congregant for nearly two decades, also told the paper he holds no grudges against the president's very public break from Wright last year.

"He's my son. I'm proud of him," Wright said. "I've got five biological kids. They all make mistakes and bad choices. I haven't stopped loving any of them. He made mistakes. He made bad choices. I've got kids who listen to their friends. He listened to those around him. I did not disown him."

Wright, who became a lighting rod for criticism last year after members of the media unearthed controversial sermons criticizing the U.S. government, also said he has no regrets for the heated language he has used on the pulpit.

"Regret for what…that the media went back five, seven, 10 years and spent $4,000 buying 20 years worth of sermons to hear what I've been preaching for 20 years?" he said. "Regret for preaching like I've been preaching for 50 years? Absolutely none."

The White House is not commenting on Wright's remarks.

Filed under: Jeremiah Wright • Popular Posts
  1. Oh Please...

Every snake is crawling out from under their rocks, including this one. Jeremiah Wright, as an African American Christian female, I am offended that you think Barack isn't speaking to you because of politics. Why can't it be because you are a first class, attention seeking megalamaniac? I rank you with Newt, Rush, Cheney, Romney and the rest of the attention grubbing crew. What a joke you all are. Haters. All of You.

June 10, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  2. Adam Habib Plano, TX

As a Muslim, I am appalled by this allegations. Blaming Jews for everything is becoming a norm these days. Shame on you Mr. Wright. If POTUS wants to talk to you, you certainly just made it very hard for him to do so.

June 10, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  3. Jake Stronger

That was just a phony "break" from Wright last year, as it is obvious Obama and Wright believe the same way as far as Black power and destruction of the Whiter races, with neither man exhibiting the grace of God in their lives or actions. Obama even goes so far as to say that all presidents (possible exception FDR) before him committed crimes and were stupid.

June 10, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. J.P.

Well now... we've just learned the Holocaust Museum shooter is an 88 year old white supremacist from Maryland. He will be excoriated in the media for his anti-jewish beliefs.

In related news, the Reverand Wright comment ("those dirty jews won't let Obama speak to me") will be buried.

Whew! The media really dodged a bullet there. Thanks to the "wild-west, cowboy, gun-wielding" violence of a white person, they won't have to address the equally ugly anti-jewish bigotry of an "Obama-supporter-of-color." Thank goodness for white bigots, right, mainstream media?

June 10, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  5. derrick

More attack against jews and Israel by Rev Wright and the black community is silence

June 10, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  6. LacrosseMom

Why is this news worthy? Everyone has a right to their opinion, however putting Wright front & center is just fodder for the wacky-right!

June 10, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  7. Very Independant Voter

Somebody's been feeling left out lately...

Go ahead and take his picture so he can get his fix... and we can move on.

June 10, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  8. Sue in Alabama

Why does CNN waste this space with stuff like that?
    Jeremiah Wright just the opposite end of Rush Limbaugh, and I don't think CNN should waste our time with either one of them when they are spewing hate.

June 10, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  9. Jeff Brown

Poor Jeremiah... time to hang up the robes and get some rest. You worked hard and long, but you need to go away.

June 10, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  10. Priscilla California

Rev. Wright, please crawl back in your hole. The President is working on serious problems and have no time for your psycho talk. You are important in your mind only. He will not talk to you ever again because you will lie about anything that was said. He is not your son and the only mistake he made was not kicking you to the curb sooner. He tried to give you a chance but, you wouldn't shut your ignorant mouth. Go away!

June 10, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  11. bozo bama

is there any wonder why Barry attended his churrch all the time and only stopped when he got caught and then threw Rev. Wrong under the bus.

June 10, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  12. Enough

Too bad the media didn't drag this guy out of the ditch a little more during the campaign, too busy chasing Elk in Alaska. Gotta love those of you who continue to support Obama and his very questionable associations. Obama as well as the Liberals have very selective memories.

June 10, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  13. Lisa B

Freedom of speech. He might as well throw his 10 cents in along with Limbaugh, Hannity, Cheney etc......

June 10, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  14. Cynthia; Bham

It seems as if Rev Wright is feeling neglected because he hasn't been in the news lately. Besides, the rest of us have to listen to Palin, Newt and Rush – so as I see it its equal opportunity for all.

June 10, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  15. MoM

What's the big deal? Rev. Wright has the right to have an opinion.

June 10, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  16. Joanna

Mr Wright, I Hope Obama never speaks to you. You are a horrible friend sir!

June 10, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  17. Jeremiah Who?

Oh this is rich. The more these attention seeking hounds come out, the more I'm convinced that we have the right President. Anyone who can stand up under this type of onslaught deserves a medal of honor. The fact that these characters, left-right-middle have nothing to offer – say to bad mouth folk, reveals who they truly are. The American people will not be fooled again. I wonder how much he was paid to come out of hiding? He probably backed Roland Burris and Blagojavich too.....

June 10, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  18. Letting it go..

He's wrong and the ignorance of what Wright just said is proof why Obama won't deal with him.

The man is an absolute idiot and our POTUS doesn't have time for that.

As a black woman, I don't have time for it either. He is Rush Limbaugh's half brother for sure.

June 10, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  19. Tony83702

As a member of the United Church of Christ, I am embarrassed to find myself in the same denomination with this bigoted jerk. President Obama was wise to reject him; our denomination should do likewise.

June 10, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  20. Joesph

I viewed this guy as Obama's crazy uncle. Now I'll update to Obama's crazy anti-semetic uncle.

June 10, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  21. Clint

Spoken like a true man of God.

June 10, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  22. Hugo-Tobbo Abdur Rahman

I do not believe that reverent J. Wright is the worst person on this planet he made those comment long time ago, obviously the media as usual played those tapes during the campaign over and over again just to discredit former senate member Barack H. Obama. The argument made on those tapes are what took place in the United States. And this is in fact what is taking place wherever you go in the Western world against dark skin people a System of Institutionalize Racism

June 10, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  23. carlo

What some of you posters need to do is sit down and try to figure out why that with everything Rev. Wright has said, no one listens to him and goes to shoot up a building full of people of other races, yet the white supremacist who listen to "your guys" are going off their hinges.

June 10, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  24. Kelby In Houston, TX

"Them Jews aren't going to let him talk to me,"
    *******************************
    This statement is an embarrassment to black people everywhere. Not only is it anti-Semitic, it's grammatically incorrect too, so it's double ignorant...
    Does he really believe that the POTUS has the time or the inclination to reach out to a walking talking political liability?
    I saw the headline and picture and just hung my head in shame.
    "Them Jews"??? An educated man should not use such venacular.

June 10, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  25. Deb

CNN you just made Sean Hannity a very, very happy man. This will be his entire broadcast. Rev. Wright is just like Rush Limbaugh minus the drugs.

June 10, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |