June 10th, 2009

Wright: 'Them Jews' won't let Obama talk to me

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

(CNN) - The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor whose racially-charged sermons threatened to implode President Obama's primary bid last year, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

"Them Jews aren't going to let him talk to me," Wright told Virginia newspaper The Daily Press when asked if he still spoke with Obama. "I told my baby daughter, that he'll talk to me in five years when he's a lame duck, or in eight years when he's out of office."

"They will not let him to talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is," he added. "I said from the beginning: He's a politician; I'm a pastor. He's got to do what politicians do."

The former pastor of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ, where Obama was a congregant for nearly two decades, also told the paper he holds no grudges against the president's very public break from Wright last year.

"He's my son. I'm proud of him," Wright said. "I've got five biological kids. They all make mistakes and bad choices. I haven't stopped loving any of them. He made mistakes. He made bad choices. I've got kids who listen to their friends. He listened to those around him. I did not disown him."

Wright, who became a lighting rod for criticism last year after members of the media unearthed controversial sermons criticizing the U.S. government, also said he has no regrets for the heated language he has used on the pulpit.

"Regret for what…that the media went back five, seven, 10 years and spent $4,000 buying 20 years worth of sermons to hear what I've been preaching for 20 years?" he said. "Regret for preaching like I've been preaching for 50 years? Absolutely none."

The White House is not commenting on Wright's remarks.

Filed under: Jeremiah Wright • Popular Posts
  1. Travis from Chicago

Rev Wright: I am African American and from Chicago. You are an embarrasment. I used to have respect for what you did. Now you are bitter and mad at the world and the wrong people. The "jews" that are working with Obama are his long time friends. You can trust that its not them keeping you from Obama, its Obama that does not want to talk to YOU!!! The United States will always be allies with Isreal and the Jewish people that I know and have had the pleasure to meet are all good people. Please stop your ignorance.

All: There are kooks on the right and left people. This clown does not speak for black people at all. I am pissed right now.

June 10, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  2. Tom L

Maybe we are seeing why President Obama has chosen to come down harshly on Israel while being open to every other country. He is open to talking with Iran, Syria, the Palestinians and North Korea. However, when it comes to Israel, he won't listen to them and their point of view. Very interesting...

June 10, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  3. Chris

Wright calls himself a pastor – I do not believe that this racist, idiot speaks scriptually. I do believe that President Obama was a member of a church led by this man for twenty years and should be held accountable for very poor judgement in following this man. The national media gave him a pass on this issue as well as other personal relationships and it will soon come home to roost.

June 10, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  4. Mike in SA

Yep...20 years of spiritual mentoring.

June 10, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  5. Flash in the Pan

True colors...

June 10, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  6. Super D

First you have to understand that Wright is no Christian, and second, neither is Obama.

All I've got to say is this really gives you an idea about how Obama judges character, and it's pretty pathetic.

June 10, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  7. Enough

It's men like Wright-or Limbaugh, Bush, Cheney-who have given Christianity a bad name. Jesus wouldn't be talking or acting like any of these men.

June 10, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  8. Orville Redenbacher

This man is a nut case and a racist...but he has the freedom to do that and I would never take that away from him.

June 10, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. Tiff of lithia springs

You know, I'm an African American and I have been to a church like this. This guy wanted everyone to go and watch Ms. Evers boys and said that if someone (mostly men) brought a white girl in the church he was going to look at them like they were crazy. I knew I could not raise my family up in this church. This was not the future.

Rev Wright is an older gentleman and soon the sun will set on his time and his way of thinking along with some older white folks I know. This is not the future of our society.

June 10, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  10. WhoCares?

Oh man. I am getting the popcorn out and watching O'Reilly and Hannity tonight to see what lengths they will go to tie this directly into an "EVIL Obama" presmise.

Going to be a laugh riot tonight for sure.

June 10, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  11. Georgia Peach

For the love of Jesus, why won't this man retire quietly? For someone who lives in a 1 million dollar home in Tinley Park, IL and get this....Tinlye Park, Ilinois has a 90.5% White residents and 1.9% residents per City-Data "dot" com. Hmmm, he lives around those he despises???

June 10, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  12. New Day

Religious fanatics are fun, arent they? :-D

June 10, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  13. Blamester

Terrific Rev. Wright.... Fanning the flames of race-hatred, while condemning anti-black racism. ...and for some bonus points, you did it on a day when shots were fired at the holocaust museum.

You're an embarassment to anything that breathes.

June 10, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  14. Robert

I hope President Obama can help poor Rev Wright find his way. He is obviously lost in the wilderness of hatred and bigotry.

June 10, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  15. The Original No Incumbents 2010

I wonder if the Jews would let Jimmy Carter talk to Rev Wright?

June 10, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  16. Cynthia

He is a Racist.

June 10, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  17. dominican mama 4 Obama

This "brotha" just won't go away. He was thrust into the spotlight, and at the risk of losing his "son" (Obama) the candidacy continued to stay in the spotlight spewing, and reiterating his hate. The ship has left the harbor without you Rev. Go back to Chicago, and your sermons that although theoretically correct serve no other purpose than to pit people against each other. It is not the Jews, or any other ethnic group keeping Obama away from you, it is the millions upon millions of Americans that are fighting for a change in the status quo. You gotta let go of the hate and move towards the light, and the realization that one person at a time the America of the 1950's can be buried in it's shameful past never to see the light of day again.

June 10, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  18. Bob

Glad to see my President distance himself from this guy. I know lots here are trying to compare Wright to Limbaugh but there is no comparison. Where Rush is just mildly wacko, Wright is a full on racist with nothing but hatred in his heart towards other humans that are not like him. Sad and pathetic.

June 10, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  19. Sam Ellison

Not a good time to be making these kinds of comments, Jerry...

June 10, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  20. jim

15 minutes of fame is really too much for most folks – though they don't think so.

June 10, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  21. SLM

Obama spent 20 years in this mans church listening to this kind of crap. You can't really believe Wright had no influence over Obama. Love the Liberals here who just can't stop turning everything into Anti republican. We can only hope you develop a brain.

June 10, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  22. me

his English is weird...

June 10, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  23. Sniffit

A. Despicable. I'd slap him in the face if he got within arm's reach.

B. Not attributable to Obama, so cut it out. The grasping shenanigans are what's killing your party, GOPers.

June 10, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  24. Shirley In California Now On The Fence Re Obama

Here we go again......I think this man is crazy. Someone needs to commit him but I also think Obama should at least speak with him.

June 10, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  25. lkb

Wright has surfaced as ignorant as he has always been, the report states Pres Obama worshiped at his church for 2 decades and yet the dems don't think Obama and Wright share any of the same beliefs. Wright was swept under the carpet once but the time will come when he will be public with the pres. The old saying, "you are who you keep company with".

June 10, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |