June 10th, 2009

Wright: 'Them Jews' won't let Obama talk to me

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

(CNN) - The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor whose racially-charged sermons threatened to implode President Obama's primary bid last year, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

"Them Jews aren't going to let him talk to me," Wright told Virginia newspaper The Daily Press when asked if he still spoke with Obama. "I told my baby daughter, that he'll talk to me in five years when he's a lame duck, or in eight years when he's out of office."

"They will not let him to talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is," he added. "I said from the beginning: He's a politician; I'm a pastor. He's got to do what politicians do."

The former pastor of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ, where Obama was a congregant for nearly two decades, also told the paper he holds no grudges against the president's very public break from Wright last year.

"He's my son. I'm proud of him," Wright said. "I've got five biological kids. They all make mistakes and bad choices. I haven't stopped loving any of them. He made mistakes. He made bad choices. I've got kids who listen to their friends. He listened to those around him. I did not disown him."

Wright, who became a lighting rod for criticism last year after members of the media unearthed controversial sermons criticizing the U.S. government, also said he has no regrets for the heated language he has used on the pulpit.

"Regret for what…that the media went back five, seven, 10 years and spent $4,000 buying 20 years worth of sermons to hear what I've been preaching for 20 years?" he said. "Regret for preaching like I've been preaching for 50 years? Absolutely none."

The White House is not commenting on Wright's remarks.

Filed under: Jeremiah Wright • Popular Posts
  1. Irma in North Carolina

Well you can see that the 21 percent of the republicans had to bring this to the surface again. They tried it during the election and it didnt work. Why dont they bring up Sarahs minister who practised whitch craft.

June 10, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. Steve, Columbia SC

Pastor Wright, let's get one thing straight. You are NOT a pastor in the Christian faith I am part of when you speak like that.

Jesus was very wise when he called "a spade a spade". You would be good to follow his example.

June 10, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  3. Richard F. Kessler

Reverend Wright is wrong, an anchronistic irrelevance in the 21st Century. Americans have moved on. The pastor is now an only an old man left out and left behind.

Nonetheless, every time he opens his mouth, I feel like asking the President what he thought he was doing sitting in this man's congregation for twenty years.

June 10, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  4. Serge

The man is sorry his asking for forgiveness

June 10, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  5. A registered republican

The very sad part to me is his comment to his "baby daughter". She has no chance of being a well adjusted adult with a parent spouting the kind of stuff he does. as would be the same for any Limbaugh off spring.

June 10, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  6. dominican mama 4 Obama

It just goes to show, quite frankly, that not every brother is a brother. I was simultaneously proud and angry with Obama for not disowning this person outright. Obama did the "Christian" thing and acknowledged their relationship. But it seems to me that the "politician" here has turned out to be this Rev. I have absolutely no respect for someone like Wright who doesn't know when to shut the hell up. He is accomplishing nothing, and instead inciting divisiveness and hate for what purpose? When do the teachings of Christ kick in, I wonder?

June 10, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  7. Marydoe

I know it's hard for a lot of people to believe or wrap their heads around, but there is plenty of bigotry left to go around in this country. And unfortunately, no one can shut up this guy or any of the other ignorant "thought leaders" in this country, none of whom are in any position to make real change. They just complain and cause more problems, making no progress toward compromise and fixing probems. If Obama goes back to this guy or his church, he's less of a man than I think he is.

June 10, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  8. Gary

Rev Wright is a racist and an antisemite and an embarrassment to this country and to President Obama. I cannot explain why President Obama stayed in that church and I do believe it says something about President Obama's lack of character and lack of courage. Pathetic. Simply pathetic.

June 10, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  9. fella from Chicago

Rev. Wright of Chicago from the black community, Jew hater; ...hmmm....Louis Farrakhan of Chicago from the black community, Jew hater;....hmmm.... Barack Hussein Obama of Chicago from an inter-racial community and a want-a-be Muslim buddy; ....hmmm.... Israel , we may have a problem here.

June 10, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  10. MDM_VA

Rev. Wright is LOCO on this issue. As an African American Christian, I do not believe that God separates us into racial , ethnic. or socio-economic groups . In fact the bible says he is not a respector of persons.

June 10, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  11. vinny

This pastor said the right things that nobody knew. They were so true!

June 10, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  12. claudia

I use to sit in a church for years just like Obama did and listen to man made speeches and racial slurrs. But I as a person didnt agree on a lot of things my Pastor taught because in my heart I knew it was not in the Bible nor was it of Gods love., Being an African American, blacks would sit for years in their church hearing this kind of trashy talk just because it is a black church and there may be no other black church recognizable around. I believe Obama like this Pastor Wright for not what he preached but because Pastor Wright treated him with respect and did love him as a son. But Pastor Wright you are not REPECTING YOUR SONS WISHES NOW! If Pastor Wright really loves Obama like he says he do. Then he must leave him alone and just be happy for him now. And he as a Pastor must keep his racial comments tohimself.

June 10, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  13. Ryan Indy

Does this really surprise anyone? Oh except the Blind Sheep (democrats) that are really living in an alternative world. Obama attended a racist church and only got away with it because the country is so aftraid of calling anyone out that is Black......Sorry that is the truth....And I am sure all the democrats on her will call me racist, sorry Im not at all , I love all people , but this country is so backwards right now and so worried about being Politically correct that they fail to see the biogitry in in Mr. Wrights words and deeds.

June 10, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  14. Mike

I like the way he said !!! Thanks Wright. You got my vote .

June 10, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  15. Doug, New Jersey

Isn't it just wonderful that Barak and Michelle found it to be of the upmost importaince that their young daughters hear and learn the message from Rev. Wright and the Trinity Church?

Surely a man who wants the minds of his 10 and 8 year old children to be molded by Rev. Wright is someone we can count on to be fair to all Americans and to want to unite our nation rather than divide us up in any way he can.

Rev. Wright's words are just oh so progressive and tolerant, unlike racist talk from the right like say Trent Lott's vile hate speech of "Happy Birthday".

June 10, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  16. Tom in Delaware

Hey Rev. Wright has something in commom with James Von Brunn...who knew?

June 10, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  17. SF Serg

It's incredible how racists feed off racism. The racists use Wright's racism to fuel their racism towards Obama, and round and round they go. They love the anger and the hate. Feed off it conservatives and continue to lose elections. The majority of America is above that. OBAMA/BIDEN 2012!

June 10, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  18. awaitingliberalizationbyCNN

Obama listened to this man for 20 years and claims he never heard him. Notice the dope smokers are making the moral equivalancy case saying Limbaugh is the same as Wright. Put down the bongs libs, and remember he was Obama's spiritual and moral leader for over 20 years. That is why this country is going to pot literally and figuratively.

June 10, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  19. MarvoDaMighty

The Good Reverend has his right to his point of View, what makes it so inflammatory is that is is being heard outside the pulpit. His tirade is no different from the ones I have heard bashing Gays and Arabs, and Black, and many others all in the name of the WORD. And none of these points of view ever made it to CNN , look The religious left or Right have their own agendas, and it may or may not have any bearing on the point of view of an associate. I attended a Church, a Mosque, A synagogue and a Temple in my communities for years, and in each I have heard very shocking things it is Rhetoric and until it becomes Truly incendiary and incites folks to violence he is protected by Freedom of speech and expression.

We all know now that Racism has not color it hates just as evenly as it is irrational. The thing we need to do is filter the hate out
    till it becomes weak and insubstantial.

June 10, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  20. Have fear Rev. Wright is here

Obamas buddy, two peas in a pod.......

June 10, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  21. I'm king of the world

Unfortunately the president sees his job as a steppingstone.

June 10, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  22. The Original No Incumbents 2010

I never knew Rush, Hannity, Beck or any other republican to be anti semitic. Never heard Rush, Hannity, Beck or any other old white guy say as many racist things as Rev. Wright, Senator Byrd, Rev Jesse, President Carter etc. Amazing that no matter what the story it is the republicans fault. I guess Rush is the new Bush. Hey that's pretty easy you only had to change one letter, that makes it easy for all the liberals not just the elites. You can change all your we hate Bush signs with a single pen stroke. Can't wait for the blame Rush for everything campaign whenever Obama makes a mistake.
    Btw, what is the statute of limitations on blaming the ex-president for things happening today- another month, next year, when will this be Obama's economy, Obama's unemployment , Obama's mess, Oh yeah Obama's Pastor?

June 10, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  23. Proud DHS radical

I love seeing the Obama apologists come out to defend their boy and to blame it all on Limbaugh or Cheney.

June 10, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  24. Jimmy the Greek

The FACT is.... this says MORE about Obama than Rev Wright.

I think everyone (with 2 brain cells) believes Wright is and has been a bigot... and included such views in his sermons.

Wright has not changed.

Obama is the one who sat for 20 years... and then when politically expedient "disowned" his pastor.

Sorry – I don't blame the fool behind the pulpit. I blame the fools sitting (voluntarily) in the pews for 20 years!

June 10, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  25. SF Serg

The White House told Wright he can speak directly with the President at noon on January 20, 2013. In the meantime, Wright can write the President a letter that WILL be reviewed by the White House staff.

June 10, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |