June 10th, 2009

Wright: 'Them Jews' won't let Obama talk to me

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

(CNN) - The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the former Chicago pastor whose racially-charged sermons threatened to implode President Obama's primary bid last year, is again making waves over recent comments about his current relationship with the commander-in-chief.

"Them Jews aren't going to let him talk to me," Wright told Virginia newspaper The Daily Press when asked if he still spoke with Obama. "I told my baby daughter, that he'll talk to me in five years when he's a lame duck, or in eight years when he's out of office."

"They will not let him to talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is," he added. "I said from the beginning: He's a politician; I'm a pastor. He's got to do what politicians do."

The former pastor of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ, where Obama was a congregant for nearly two decades, also told the paper he holds no grudges against the president's very public break from Wright last year.

"He's my son. I'm proud of him," Wright said. "I've got five biological kids. They all make mistakes and bad choices. I haven't stopped loving any of them. He made mistakes. He made bad choices. I've got kids who listen to their friends. He listened to those around him. I did not disown him."

Wright, who became a lighting rod for criticism last year after members of the media unearthed controversial sermons criticizing the U.S. government, also said he has no regrets for the heated language he has used on the pulpit.

"Regret for what…that the media went back five, seven, 10 years and spent $4,000 buying 20 years worth of sermons to hear what I've been preaching for 20 years?" he said. "Regret for preaching like I've been preaching for 50 years? Absolutely none."

The White House is not commenting on Wright's remarks.

Filed under: Jeremiah Wright • Popular Posts
  1. Typical Republican

This just proves that Obama is not only Muslim...but he's Jewish too!
    Let's get that muslim-jew out of office NOW!

June 10, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  2. rick

I don't hear fox news or Rush making slurs against black people or jews but I do hear Rev Wright making slurs about jews the same pastor Obama went to but its okay Israel will never bow to the lib and dem clowns messiah

June 10, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  3. Keith in CA

Christmas came early for the shills at the Fox News Channel. The big difference is that Wright does not speak for the Obama administration or the Democratic Party. Can Republicans and the legion of inbred Dittoheads say the same about Limbaugh's racist outbursts?

June 10, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. Molly

Wow...just like all the hate spewing evangelicals out there this man is a terrible symbol for christians.

June 10, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. Larry

It is clear the man craves the spotlight. He has become a bad dream.

June 10, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  6. let's get real

All of us know someone who is racist, there is no way around it, but does that make you racist too? Stating that Pres. Obama is racist because Wacko Wright is a one is totally out of line, he is half white too you know, get over it, we have a Democrate in the White House. Republicans had their shot and they blew it, so let's focus on the important things and not gossip such as this, and another thing, why do people give someone like Wright a chance to continue talking his nonsense, go away man, your giving us African-Americans a bad name.

June 10, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. Seattle Rocks

Huh? Jews won't let him speak to President Obama? What does that even mean?

June 10, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. the other jd

this man is a ant-semitic pig. period.

June 10, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. independent

No one ever said that pastors don't have egos. Some are bigger than others.

June 10, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  10. Wright, you are dead Wrong!

OMG the dead has arisen, Obama chose not to talk to you becasue you are a self serving pig!!!! This is not your time to shine bro, go have a seat please!!!! You are the Sarah Palin version for Democrates. Sit down and read some scriptures please!!!!!

June 10, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  11. kayla

once again cnn you did not post my comment for telling the truth. ATLEAST THE REV. IS NOT OUT THERE KILLING FOLKS.

June 10, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  12. Texas Annie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

This guy is a total idiot. What an embarrassment he has to be to his family and former parishoners.
    The seminary that granted him his credentials should demand them back!

June 10, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  13. Robert

Some with a brain tried and tried during the shame of the Democratic nomination process to say out loud that Wright was a racist. CNN and other MSM would hear nothing of it. Must have been that Obama told them Wright was 'off limits'......well, once a racist always a racist – and Wright is the top of the list of all that is wrong!!!!!!! Obama only dropped Wright when it was clear it would have a negative impact on the nomination process for Obama to win. It wasn't because he didn't agree with Wright – it was all political!

June 10, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  14. DawnL,CA

I voted for Pres. Obama. That said-I still can't believe that Pres. Obama & Michelle attended his church & listened to his so called sermons for so many years. I'm starting to believe they heard what they wanted to hear & agreed with him or they would have left a long time ago. So sad.

June 10, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  15. Have fear Rev. Wright is here

And the Chickens have come home to roost...............

June 10, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  16. Michael

This is one of the things which make us a proud democratic nation -Freedom of speech. If the former vice -president can literal terrorise & torture people and go on the news netwarks to boast about how successful he has been at it, what can we make of this in a country which is fighting terror & torture?

If Rev. Wright can literally curse America to hell and gets away with it as a free American, what can we make of this in a country which curses the axis of evil to hell?

Long Live Democracy!!! Long Live Freedom of Speech!!!!

Give it Up for both!!!!!

June 10, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  17. nbascribe

Dude you need to really shut your pie hole.

The reason why he won't talk to you is this news clip right here.

You're a mouth sore that won't go away Rev. Wright.

Be like a child who is obedient; been seen and not heard.

Better still, quit trying to play the victim and learn that you are an embarrassment to even African Americans like myself and others.

Dude just go away!!

June 10, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  18. lil

This is a jealous man who just want to be heard and I dont want to hear hate speak from anyone. Today is just not the day to hear hate speak. Not after what has happened at the holocust museum today. It just incite people to do the unthinkable and bring out the hate groups with more senseless violence and killings.

June 10, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  19. SF Serg

The Republicans should be proud that they DO allow Limbaugh to talk with their leader. WAIT, Limbaugh is the leader.

June 10, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  20. Sniffit

The only reason GOPers think it's valid to assume Obama 100% internalized every word this dope said over a 20 year period is because that's what they do with what they're told by GOP and church leadership.

June 10, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  21. carlo

After hearing what the right wingers do to people they don't like, kind of makes this story pale in comparison, huh?

June 10, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. Marsha Modest

Reverent Wright is delusional. he thinks that he can say and do anything he wants. He doesn't care if his words are harmful or not.

If he cared anything about President Obama he would learn how to restrain himself and keep his mouth shut.

June 10, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  23. JSG

Finally, someone speaks truth to power. I'd vote for the Rev. Wright if I could.

June 10, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  24. tail-thumping dog

White or Black, who cares. Just another nutcase...

June 10, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  25. lynette from colorado

How in the world are you going to talk with anybody who claims he's a man of god and yet referrs to "them Jews." I feel sorry for his baby daughter who has no choice but to listen to her dad. If I was the president, I wouldn't waste a second speaking with this man!

June 10, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |