June 12th, 2009

House passes bill putting tobacco products under FDA oversight

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The House of Representatives voted 307-97 Friday to approve a bill that would give the Food and Drug Administration power to regulate the manufacturing, marketing and sale of tobacco.

The House had passed a similar measure in April, but needed to approve the Senate version, which passed Thursday.

The measure will now go to President Barack Obama for his signature.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. HenryMiller

Just what we need–the idiot government sticking its nose into something else.

June 12, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  2. Jon in CA

This is GREAT NEWS!!

Now Obama can control tobacco companies, car companies, banks, insurance companies......hmmm... now how can he take over oil companies????

Maybe Chavez will give him some more pointers and another anti-American book for Obama to read??

June 12, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  3. A. Goodwin

Its about time!! Another "win" for the Obama administration.

As an ex-smoker for 15+ years, whose family has been devestated by lung cancer...I am happy to see any oversight over the tabacco industry!

June 12, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  4. I laugh at Limbaugh daily.

Now if we could just get them to see that Limbaugh is just as dangerous to the mental health of weak minded Americans that want to commit crimes in the name of their race.

June 12, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  5. Fair is Fair

Fine by me.

While you're at it... can you lift the embargo on Cuba? I don't smoke, but there's nothing like the aroma of a fine Romeo y Julieta...

June 12, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. DaBird

Tobacco control and tax, soda and beer tax, the brand new cell phone tax that will cost all business cell users $105 more per year, health insurance tax, but all the liberal nuts still believe "95% of all people will NOT see a tax increase".

June 12, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  7. The Original No Incumbents 2010

How much more are we going to allow the government to take from the private sector before we might start thinking they ARE moving toward socialism?
    Also if America quits smoking, who is going to pay for socialized medicine?
    Think Libs, Think!

June 12, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  8. Super D

I wish they would put cell phone use in the car under FDA oversight.

Now there's a real killer......no your smokes, that takes decades.

But all it takes is that stupid phone call while you're driving and next thing you know......fatality accident.

Happens every day, but unlike smokers, the Dudley Do Rights all like to talk on their phones while driving, so we're not going to curtail that activity.

Idiots they all are.

June 12, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  9. Charles

Thanks Obama. Another regulation means more of my tax money spent on government regulatory employees and frivilous lawsuits that are sure to happen: the ciggerette warning wasn't big enough! I want $150 million for it being 2-mm too small.

June 12, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  10. Bill

As a long time smoker, and one who fortunately found the willpower to quit 8 years ago, I applaud this bill. The one problem is that the bill should have mandated ZERO nicotine in all tobacco products starting 12 months from now. That would give all tobacco users a year to quit, and end this scourge in this country.

June 12, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  11. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

If you ask me, I think the truth.com commercials are very effective. If people who were raised in my generation(80's) had commercials like the truth.com commercials, I think there would be alot less smokers in the U.S. But on the other hand, us 80's babies had Ronald Reagan and Oliver North bringing all kinds of drugs into this country, so tobacco smoking was small time.

June 12, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  12. That is right..on and on

Obama, the grand czar now ruling his kingdom with all the little czars so far appointed....control this and contol that...while america the scorned is going down the endless pit...!!!!!!!!!

June 12, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  13. TCM

Hey CNN, where' s the article about the Obamas firing the AmeriCorps IG because he ratted out Kevin Johnson, an NBA millionaire, on squandering $850,000 of AmeriCorp money? Or should I say taxpayer money? So, now, if you're an IG you better look past the Obama corruption if you want to keep your job...

Obama cosponsored a bill giving IG's protection against such retaliation, yet, when the clown's made president, he fires one for exposing his own corruption...Wow...Obama, what a lowlife bottom feeder!

June 12, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  14. BK

I suppose this is news to people that are stupid enough to smoke, but it doesn't really matter to me.

June 12, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  15. Old Farmboy

Isn't that grand. Something else that has fallen into the hands of the government. Standby to standby fellow smokers, the tax on cigarettes is about to go way up. I'm going out on a limb here, but I guesstimate that by the end of the year the price will be about $10.00 a pack. He thinks that this will keep kids from starting smoking. I disagree. Peer pressure is usually what starts kids smoking, not the glorious advertisements. Another reason, I believe, is why more kids are smoking is that the parents can't do a dang thing about it. When I was a young lad and got caught smoking there was pain in my immediate future from my dad or even worse..... mom. Now, thanks to some very misguided laws, if you make their butt look like a barber pole you're going to jail. What's to stop them. Oh, I know. Let's put it under government control. That'll show 'em.

June 12, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  16. agus

the mission of Barrack Obama, I think with pleasure

June 12, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  17. David

The Government is just trying to control every part of our lives. Regulating tobacco is an outrage. It's socialism. Be afraid! The sky is falling! We should be allowed to manufacture tobacco products any way we please and sell them to kids. Stop taking away our freedoms.

How was that for sarcasm? Should it have been in all caps?

June 12, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  18. Dawn in Pa

Yippy.... Nicotine is the legal addicting drug on the market.

My Uncle was diognosed with lung cancer on his birthday and died four months later, Cancer does not discriminate, it is an equal opportunity disease, you can be poor or rich, just an adverage joe or being a pilar in the Community. It does not care.....

Congrats President Obama....

June 12, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  19. Dan

Finally, the government has admitted that tobacco is just as much of a drug as pot is. So is alchohol, by the way.

June 12, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  20. barbara

The increased price caused me to cut back significantly and now I will be able to stop altogether thanks to the feds. Thank you President Obama. I am just one person but this one person will not be buying cigs anymore. Sure you can do without my money to pay towards the debt but what if every smoker decided to quit? who will then fund the medicaid program?

June 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  21. A House devided,,,

Never in the history of this country has a leader in such a short time in the WH devided the country to a point of no return...even the big bad Bush took six years...Where is Obamas' path taking the country...Think, think and think again....>>>

June 12, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  22. Back to Simple Life

That's good. Now they regulate cigarettes and baby food.

Nothing else.

June 12, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  23. John Black Hills/SD

As it should be, all it took was for a responsible political party (D) who has the backbone to push back at the tobacco industry.

June 12, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  24. Mississippi Mike

Another industry down, comrades. When will the vile capitalists see that the socialist seeds we've been planting for the last century are finally starting to bloom?

June 12, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |