June 12th, 2009

Palin tight-lipped on political future

(CNN) - Sarah Palin told CNN's Wolf Blitzer Friday she's not ready to announce any decision on whether she will seek re-election as governor of Alaska in 2010 or seek the Republcian presidential nomination in 2012.

"I'm not definitely going to do anything yet," said the former Republican vice presidential candidate. "What I'm trying to get done for Alaska right now is to get that Alaska gas line built. We need those energy sources flowing through North America. That's what my focus is."

Pressed if she had made a decision privately about future plans, Palin said "No decision that I'd want to announce today."

In a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released last week, Palin was effectively tied with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee as the top pick by Republicans for the party's 2012 presidential nomination.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Lisa

Another cynical attempt by Sarah Palin to play the victim and use her children for political gain. She will make a meal of this for as long as there is a single flashbulb popping or camera rolling.

June 12, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  2. RatRodWidow

Looking forward to hearing her decision, she was a real booster for the republican party.

June 12, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  3. Frozone

Governor Palin is too busy exploiting her children for political gain to make an announcement at this time.

June 12, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  4. Keith in CA

Does Palin really believe anyone is buying this? She's the Jerry Springer guest of politics. She will do anything and exploit anyone in her family to stay in the national spotlight.

June 12, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  5. Annie

Ok.... now I'm worried and confused... our GOP friends go on and on about the liberals/dems being afraid of her....

I think it's true... I mean in a hypothetical situation if this woman were leader of the free world... Oh lordie... talk about bringing back the dark ages...

She can't put two sentences together, she can't control a household, but she can control a country??

I guess my question to all and any GOPer's: normal and insane is what credibility does she have? Yes she all folsky... She's all god fearing too... well in someone's deranged mind anyways... So how does that help with very intricate and complex issues such as foreign relations with he middle east or europe? the economy and domestic policy??

And shooting mooses (I think thats the plural) and seeing Russia from her house, doesn't count for a lot...

So are people scared of her... Yes... She's the same person who would point a finger at someone and cry "witch!! burn her..."

June 12, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  6. Frank

One of the things I just love about these "front runner" polls is... anyone remember way back in the golden days of 2007-2088 when the Republican nomination was going set to be a horse race between Rudy Giuliani and Fred Thompson?

June 12, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  7. TLC

Palin, Glad to see you are still enjoying the suits that the Repug party bought for you. Palin... you will never have my vote. Your lies, whining, and using your children for your political gain sickens me. Poor, Poor Bristol, an unwed mother at 17. Get a life... Take a look at the inner cities where this is happening to 13 year olds. I guess Alaska doesnt have any inner cities so therefore there is no pregancies under the age of 18. Bristol was the only one in Alaska that this has happend to.
    Oh, FYI, SARAPAC donations only go to Sara Palins legal fees. Read the fine lines on the web site.

June 12, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  8. felice

Go away already Sarah! It is amazing how she is stringing this thing along with David Letterman to get political mileage. She could care less about her daugher or even the joke that was said as long as it keeps her name in the media. I wish the media would stop giving this woman a platform. She is as looney as they come. Anyone simple enough to vote for this inarticulate, uneducated, ignorant woman is just as looney as she is.

June 12, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  9. SlowGun

Natural gas can be found just about anywhere...is there really a need to have a pipeline?

June 12, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  10. Mike S., New Orleans

To me, perverted is a vice presidential candidate schlepping her pregnant teenage daughter in front of the cameras and announcing that she will soon be marrying the boyfriend. Of course, once the election is over, the boyfriend is shunned. And we haven't seen her carrying her own baby since election night, have we?

A true Republican: total hypocrisy.

June 12, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  11. JodyG

Good for Palin. The republicans should run her for president in 2012 so it insures a democratic win. The republicans still don't get it. They lost because of their policies and Palin is part of that. If they don't stop complaining and being obstructionists they will lose again. 2010 will tell the story.

June 12, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  12. Ann in NH

Lucy- Decency and truth went out the window when Bush/Cheney decided to lie about the lead up to the war. Palin is not Presidential material nor is she a breath of fresh air. She is that mean "popular" girl from High School who can dish it out but not take it. The only reason why anyone watches her now is because we need a good laugh. She is inarticulate and sorely uninformed about the "lower 48". She is a complete train wreck and most people can't help but watch a train wreck. Hence the media's fascination with Palin. I don't think liberals are afraid of her, they are afraid of her backward ideas that make no sense. It is scary that anyone who thinks like her can be elected to any office in this nation. The witch thing sort of DOES freak me out though. I'll give you that one.

June 12, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. Libertarian

@Robin

"Why are conservatvies labeled hate mongers?" Have you listen to Palin speak? She derides anyone who doesn't agree with her as "Terrorists". Look at her campaign speeches! Even McCain was embarrassed and ultimately apologized for her. Do you remember the rally cry at a couple of her speeches? "Kill Obama...Kill the terrorist!" Is that not hate mongering? If you align yourself with that and promote it as your own view – did you expect a different label?

June 12, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  14. CMG

Sarah "tight lipped"- that is almost funny.

June 12, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  15. Tania

Let;s not forget that it was John McCain who (reluctantly) got her as his running mate. That's where it started. And it went to her head.

June 12, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  16. jummai

it is not a surprise that Palin is the best the Republicans can come up with, afterall, they came up with a Goerge Bush?

June 12, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  17. Ben

Sarah Palin is the most disgusting political opportunist I have ever seen in my life. As a life long Republican, I can honestly say that no other politician I have ever seen in my days disgusts me more than her. This woman uses her children as political pawns with the glee of a clown. And I have never been able to understand her in any interview she has ever given. She is both condescending and ignorant which is a dangerous combination in my book.
    I hope the people of Alaska do the right thing and wipe that smirk off her face in the next election by voting her out. She is disgraceful.

June 12, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  18. Russ

The only logical decision Palin should make is to not run for anything and just disappear. She has made a mockery out of polictics even beyond that of George Bush. She is a joke and a laughing stock of the majority of Americans. She can't think for herself without getting tongue tied and sounding infantile. The Democrats will have a field day if she runs for President in 2012.

June 12, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  19. Dennis, Millbrae, CA

If Sarah Palin is nominated by the Republicans to run for President in 2012, she will follow Winfield Scott (Whig Party) as the last nominee of a major political party that disappeared into oblivion. To paraphrase Palin's mantra of "drill Baby drill", I say "run Sarah run", but then again, I'm a big fan of President Obama.

June 12, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  20. Decided Independent

The only thing scary about Sarah Palin is that there seems to be such a sizable lunatic fringe that thinks she is qualified to hold public office. Are 22 percent of the population really that stupid and mean spirited? That's what's scary–that I could conceivably be waiting on line in a supermarket with someone who thinks she is actually competent enough to govern.

June 12, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  21. Typical Liberal Democrat

Of course she scares us. Her ideas are different and she really inspires the change that we thought we would get with Obama. Besides, we wanted the first woman in the winning ticket to be a democrat even though all we can come up with is a former first lady.

June 12, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  22. JR

This "bimbo" needs to shut up...she is one of those on the list that should'nt be allowed to consume oxygen...

June 12, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  23. I can see Canada from my house!

@ Lucy

Hate to tell you this, but its the Far Right that no one takes seriously anymore. When Christopher Buckley, the son of William F. Buckley, the founder of the National Review and the Godfather of the Conservative Intellectual Movement announced his support for President Obama in the last election, we knew the page had turned on that brand of conservatism. All that is left is meanness without wit, and no moral standing on any issue. Liberals do not fear Palin or anyone else: we are astonished that anyone can take a person plucked from obscurity by a desperate candidate as a serious contender for the highest office in the land.

When the conservative movement is reinvigorated by what it believes in, rather than a reflex reaction against, then they will be writing a new chapter. Until then, the circular firing squad will continue, and Palin will be the first to shoot.

June 12, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  24. Gary

Conservatives are called hatemongers because of all the hate they spew out on Fox News//Limbaugh and when people get killed, they try to act blameless. Letterman's jokes don't get people killed.

June 12, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  25. Erin

As a democrat, I really hope Palin runs for president in 2012. Really. Run Sarah Run.

June 12, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |