June 12th, 2009

Palin tight-lipped on political future

(CNN) - Sarah Palin told CNN's Wolf Blitzer Friday she's not ready to announce any decision on whether she will seek re-election as governor of Alaska in 2010 or seek the Republcian presidential nomination in 2012.

"I'm not definitely going to do anything yet," said the former Republican vice presidential candidate. "What I'm trying to get done for Alaska right now is to get that Alaska gas line built. We need those energy sources flowing through North America. That's what my focus is."

Pressed if she had made a decision privately about future plans, Palin said "No decision that I'd want to announce today."

In a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released last week, Palin was effectively tied with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee as the top pick by Republicans for the party's 2012 presidential nomination.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. carole

I'm fiercely independent and Palin scares me. Not
    because she has done anything that qualifies her to be President, but
    because there are too many very naive people who are easily
    swayed politically by the likes of Limbaugh, et al. I need a
    President who can speak in grammatically correct sentences, but
    even more so, can speak knowledgeably on issues, not just
    parrot party lines ("lower taxes. slow the growth of government, our
    children and grandchildren will pay . . . ."). Instead of just parroting these worn out phrases, I need a President who knows how that will
    solve any problems instead of creating new ones. I need a President who will be taken seriously by the rest of the world. In short, I believe
    we need a President who knows what they are doing, not an ideological hack.

June 12, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  2. Tom

Palin and her neo-friends are hilarious. They tout their conservative "christian" values all the while Palin's daughter Bristol was giving it Levi in their pick up truck. Hypocrites, all of them. Actaully I hope the cameras stay on Palin. The more publicity on her the better for the Democratic Party.

June 12, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  3. steve

Sarah Palin calling for an uprising to protest her turf war with David Letterman is borderline insane and irresponsible.
    She does not belong in the polity of this nation.
    How dare she advocate for violence in light of this right-wing extremities terrorizing the nation .

June 12, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  4. AP in Illinois

Sarah Palin is the next Dan Quayle. The Republicans just don't know it yet. They will find out in the primaries of the next Presidential election.

Remeber how Dan Quayle actually thought he could be elected until the primary elections happened. That is what is going to happen here.

You can't SERIOUSLY tell me that Sarah Palin is a better candidate that any of the following: Tim Pawlenty, Bobby Jindal, Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. All of you serious Palin supporters need a huge reality check.

June 12, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  5. Joe Matt

Hahahaha someone supporting Palin had a username that included the word "fear" and mentioned Rev. Wright all at once. Memo to repubs: You lost in a landslide, maybe new tactics would be prudent.

June 12, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  6. pac

Is she wearing leather?

June 12, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  7. Rosa

To all you bozos that think she is a threat.

She is not a threat. I lot of people just don't like her, A LOT!! :-)

June 12, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  8. Reasonable thought

I hope Palin runs for president so that she receives the signs early on that she is not the choice of American voters, only a few of them.

June 12, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  9. ThinkAboutIt

She needs to go home and take care of Trig.

June 12, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  10. Old Farmboy

Since comments are closed on the natural gas issue I've decided to put in my two cents worth here. I think it's a good idea and I think it's something that needs to be done now. True the 26 billion dollar price is a lot, but if we wait and have to do this ten – twenty years down the road, how much will it cost then. I also hear a lot of talk on reusable power. That's a grand idea, but when is it going to replace our dependcy on oil and what do we do in the meantime? Another thing I find a little funny is the way quite a few of you talk about Sarah. I have to admit that she does seem a little out there sometimes, but I think she's smarter than a lot of people give her credit for. Let's see... She was a town Mayor, Governor, and Vice Presidential Candidate. Won on two out of the three. I never did that. Any of you?

June 12, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  11. Jim

To Tess: When has "motherhood" mean you've accomplished something – that would be "nature"; Long Live Letterman for pointing out the idiocracy that is the NeoCon nutjobs that run Fox. Hannity wants "Obama" to weigh in??? Hired to heavily made up women to feign their outrage – all the while that sat there like good little NeoCon stooges, "asking Obamba" to say this is hateful (as though the President should waste his time on a non-issue) while the campaign and RNC/Fox backed hate of the last election was so much more vile. By the way, if you bother to watch the clip, there is no mention of rape, willow or any of the other "fake outrage" found on Fox. Please right your elected officials and the FCC – it's time to put a stop to the HATE that is FOX. They should lose their licence as a politcal 24/7 NeoCon propaganda machine.

June 12, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  12. Steph

Really, enough with stories about this person! I DO NOT CARE WHAT HER PLANS ARE!

June 12, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  13. Ernestine

Lucy Wrote: June 12th, 2009 12:55 pm ET

You bashers think that with all you're blabbing that you can change reality. Nobody can take the crying liberals seriously anymore because they bash everything and everyone that doesn't agree with them. What about an open mind? What happened to decency and the truth?

Anyway, Sarah Palin is a breath of fresh air and is much loved by many for her guts, honesty and common sense. Obama, Letterman and ilk are the real problems. Wake up America!

-----------------------

Really! what rock have you crawled out from, shes loved by many, I don't know where your getting your info from but just look at the blogs from alaska you will see how much she is loved. 2010 will be her last time in office, but until then I hope she stays in the media, I need a good laugh each day now that bush is gone.

June 12, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  14. jenn

I LOVE Sarah Palin! Please, please run for President in 2012! It would be my dream come true....

because I'd have a lot more free time, as I would not need to work nearly as hard on the Obama campaign. Can you say "Obama landslide?"

That said, CNN needs to give the 2012 news a rest. Can we have one or two years off from each election cycle, for heaven's sake? There is a lot going on in the world that does not involve the Palin-Letterman feud–like the Iranian election, a couple wars, you know, the usual stuff that gets ignored in favor of pseudo-celebrity stories.

June 12, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  15. Buffalo

Sarah Palin...tight-lipped? I wish you'd stay tight-lipped with your self-righteous indignation over Dave Letterman's joke regarding A-Ro(i)d and your daughter (whom he did not name.) You know, like you were tight-lipped when a supporter expoused killing then-Senator Obama at your rally last fall.

Well, at least when she ain't talkin', she ain't incitin' right-leaning whack jobs like Scott Roeder, James Wenneker von Brunn and their ilk. You betcha.

June 12, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  16. Bring it on

I think Sara Palin will be a great choice for the GOP.

Maybe she can run with Rush Limbaugh for VP or maybe with Newt Gingrich. Oh I know. Bring back Dick Cheney for a cameo as a veep candidate.

They'll be lucky to carry a single state. And Obama will have a landslide that will make 1964 look puny.

June 12, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  17. Video Guy

CNN Please stop reporting on this lady. Maybe then she will go away.

June 12, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  18. GOP = 21st century dodo

In the same way that Megan Fox oozes sexuality, Sarah Palin oozes stupidity.

June 12, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  19. SlowGun

@Robin June 12th, 2009 12:13 pm ET

Why are we conservatives called the hatemongers? I just don't get it.

----------------------------

Listen to the voice of Conservatives, Rush Limbaugh...then you will understand.

RNC = Rush, Newt, Cheney

June 12, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  20. Uncle Ellsworthy

@Linda Stafford

There's a lot more to being president than a glib tongue. Actions will speak louder than words. You folks elected a man who is all tongue, no actions, no track record and no accomplishments. Anyone would be better than that if he even leaves this country intact by the time he's finished.

June 12, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  21. Kelby In Houston, TX

Another Palin article???
    The most important thing going on today is the Iranian election and trust me when I tell you that you can't post the result of the election fast enough
    Do you guys have any reporters doing exit polling in Iran? I think that would be a good idea and it would attract more viewers to your network. and more comments posted to your articles. I know what you want CNN...numbers Numbers NUMBERS!

June 12, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  22. Upper 49th

Tight lipped...hey wait a darn minute hear! That looks like a "come fly me" outfit to me. Don't shoot the messenger for calln' it the way you present it, Governor dear. It was you who decried "SCREW POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" last week ~ how soon we forget.

June 12, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  23. Michael Carr

It is puzzling that so many posts here think that Governor Palin will do anything for publicity and to stay in the limelight. Yet by every account, she has accepted only a few invitations to speak or give interviews in the lower 48 and has turned down hundreds of requests. It is Letterman who put her in the limelight on this family issue. The reason for her current two interviews with CNN has to do with a major achievement in the progress with the Gas Pipieline. Why should she not publicize it? Obviously, there are those who would like to divert attention from the fact that she is a practical, hands-on governor who gets the business of her state done. She is here to stay. Get used to it!

June 12, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  24. kirk

Please, please run for President in 2012 Sarah! If there's still a republican party then, it will be like having Deja Vu from Obama's senate race in Illinois against Alan Keys. Stupid sound bites, bitterly going against the direction of the country, crying about the liberal media....you'll fit the part perfectly, Gov. Palin.

Maybe you can find some pressing topics like, which daughter David Letterman made a joke about on Late Night TV.....Joke reform, comic regulation?

June 12, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  25. Libertarian

Tied with Mitt??? Are you serious??? Mitt is so far beyond this woman in every way that it's unimaginable anyone would even compare them!!
    Please, please, please, Sarah. Go run for head of the Taliban and wage "God's War" somewhere else.

June 12, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |