June 12th, 2009

Patrick Kennedy temporarily leaving Hill for rehab

Kennedy said he is again seeking treatment for addiction.
Kennedy said he is again seeking treatment for addiction.

(CNN) – Rep. Patrick Kennedy, the Rhode Island Democrat who in 2006 checked into a rehabilitation center for drug addiction following a car accident on Capitol Hill, is again seeking medical treatment.

In a statement issued by his office Friday, the son of Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy said, "I have always said that recovery is a life-long process and that I will do whatever it takes to preserve my health."

"In consultation with my doctors, I have decided to temporarily step away from my normal routine to ensure that I am being as vigilant as possible in my recovery," he said. "I hope that in some small way my decision to be proactive and public in my efforts to remain healthy can help remove the stigma that has served as a barrier for many Americans reluctant to get the help they need."

The Providence Journal reported Friday Kennedy has "entered an undisclosed medical facility for treatment."

After crashing his car into a Capitol Hill barricade in 2006, Kennedy admitted to an addiction to prescription medication and spent a month in a rehabilitation center in Minnesota.

– CNN's Dana Bash contributed to this report

Filed under: Patrick Kennedy
  1. share

another woa is me by the rich and famous. cut me a break! wonder if his health insurance is paying for this...if not i am sure daddy will!

June 12, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  2. Tony

A Kennedy in rehab!? Oh my God what a shocker!!!

June 12, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  3. S Callahan

Pretty fitting considering it was "Bill's" birthdate in the last week or so.
    Good luck Patrick, no shame in admitting you want to be better

June 12, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  4. Ted, Washington DC

These people, the Kennedys, are disgusting. Worst that they perceive themselves as pillars of our society. who are entilted to benefits and lenient treatment that none of us dream of let alone to have.

June 12, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  5. Mississippi Mike

You can't be in a clear state of mind and be a liberal. Thanks for another in a long history of examples Mr. Kennedy.

June 12, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  6. CJ/PA

Relapse does not have to be a part of recovery, but if it is, I'm glad he's seeking treatment. Now he needs to seek continual treatment outside of rehab in a 12-step program to change the thinking that got him here and to be truly vigilant about his sobriety, one day at a time.

June 12, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  7. Texas Teacher

Well, join the crowd! At least he is getting help. I'm curious to hear if Limbaugh will try to address this issue! *LOL*

June 12, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  8. IAB

Instead of NASTY remarks from folks let us PRAY for the speedy recovery for a FELLOW American. The hate and remarks made by some people create a climate of destruction, killers, and hate groups.

It is OK to disagree, have an opinion, just stop the name calling. Offer something constructive, a solution, don't just criticize without offering something better. Its easy to tear down, HARD TO CREATE IDEAS AND BUILD. We need to work together to rebuild our GREAT COUNTRY.

Maybe it would help if our political REPS would clean up their act and what they say about each other. They should set better examples.

One should also post level of education, age, region they live in. That would give one a clue as to how much they read, who they listen to, conduct research, think for themselves or repeat what they have heard by those who make FALSE STATEMENTS and SPEW HATE, DIVISION , FEAR, AND DESTRUCTION.

This could happen to any one so lets PRAY FOR HIM.

June 12, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  9. dominican mama 4 Obama

It is commendable that he is seeking the help he needs. Let's pray and hope that the relapses do not become the norm for him.

June 12, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  10. Jerry

Too much money and leisure time.

June 12, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  11. Texas Red Rock

So baseball players get suspended for being druggies and Congressmen get ?????? Wake up Northeast, your elected officials make the rest of the country look like Saints. I hope he recovers and gets a job in the private sector because this guy is not a leader and obviously got elected on a name.

June 12, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  12. rob in austin

addiction is a horrible disease. good luck patrick and thank you for coming out with it and not the tabloids.

June 12, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  13. Tony

I hope is works out for the guy, unfortunately I don't think this will end well at all.

June 12, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  14. Stay Active

As with all recovering addicts, I wish him a speedy recovery. No matter what side of the isle you are on, people that are trying to break an addiction need support.

Good Luck to you and your family.

June 12, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  15. cherrystrawberry

good luck to you. Its very hard

June 12, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  16. lf

Best wishes to a complete recovery, Mr. Kennedy!

June 12, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  17. The lonely Libertarian of Liverpool NY

I wish him well and Godspeed, we'll keep a good thought for his recovery. Addiction is cured with compassion not prison.

June 12, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  18. Patriot from ATL GA

Most people are not subject to public scrutiny in their struggles. I hope you get better soon, Mr. Kennedy.

June 12, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  19. LacrosseMom

Good for you Rep. Kennedy. Addiction is all its forms is dangerous. May God grant you healing.

June 12, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  20. Alfred E. Neumann

The folks who should be joining Kennedy in rehab are the ones who voted for him.

June 12, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  21. Mallory Oberlinsk

All addicts should be removed from public service, as they obviously cannot handle the pressures of life. They are also security risks.

Come on, Rhode Island, why do you have a drug addict representing you?

June 12, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  22. New Yorker

It's too bad our hard earned tax dollars support this drug addicted, elected official's habit and, now, the expense of treatment. How about trying a treatment plan that includes long hours of physical labor; maybe a taste of the real world would curb his appetite for drugs.

June 12, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  23. Simmy

I will keep you in my prayers, Rep. Kennedy......Stay strong and do all that is necessary for your complete recovery.....God bless......

June 12, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  24. Puff the Magic Dragon

I am glad that Mr Kennedy is getting the help he needs in his battle with prescription medication addiction. Kudoes.

But what about the normal everyday addicted person who cant afford this expensive treatment like he and Rush Limbaugh can? What happens to them?

June 12, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  25. Anonymous

I think it is a very good thing that a public official is seeking help -

June 12, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |