June 13th, 2009

King: Diners skeptical about prospects for health care overhaul

CNN's John King, from left, talks health care with diners Stafford Ezzard and Margaret and Blanche Dormady.

ORLANDO, Florida (CNN) - Blanche and Margaret Dormady bristle at the mention of a stronger federal government hand in their health care. Stafford Ezzard, on the other hand, can live with that.

"I trust the government more than many people do," said Ezzard, a music teacher.

"It will make it worse," Blanche Dormady said without hesitation.

At Junior's Diner in Orlando, the raisins added just the right touch to the oatmeal, and the cinnamon muffin was perfect.

And a breakfast conversation about health care is a reminder to us - and to Congress - that even those who agree that the American health care system needs some serious work are not necessarily on the same page about how to go about the repairs.

Margaret Dormady, Blanche's daughter, described herself as a Democrat who votes on issues, not party label.

"I'm against national health care," Margaret said.

She works as a real estate appraiser and a massage therapist. "I personally don't have health insurance because it is too expensive," she said. "But I want to get for myself what I need. And I don't want to be told what I can have and when I can have it. And I sure as hell - excuse me - don't want the government having my medical records running throughout the United States."

Full story

Filed under: Health care
  1. Kelly

Do people actually think that the U.S. Government is this mystical group that is untouchable and don't care about people. To me the U.S. Government is my local mail carrier, one of my closest friends who works for the IRS, a few former military buddies, my neighbor, my wife and I almost forgot, me. There are plenty of people that do various jobs throughout the government and have no intentions of causing harm to anyone.

I think that people are confusing the fact that the government have elected leaders or political appointees that get to set their agenda for a specified amount of time. But as a citizen and a government employee I have learned that if a particular agenda is not in your best interest, just wait for another four years because it will change with each new administration.

June 13, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  2. Ted Tartaglia

It is really interesting when someone who doesn't have health insurance because it is too expensive rejects any change in health care that involves government action before they know what that plan might look like. Do these same people forego care at emergency rooms when they need healthcare? Most do not! I guess they think it is OK for the taxpayers to pay for their emergency care as long as they don't personally have to pay even though government is involved in providing them with emergency care at taxpayer expense. What hypocrites!

June 13, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  3. JR

"I personally don't have health insurance because it is too expensive,"

Yeah, and the idiot isn't sick or I bet she'd be singing a different tune.

June 13, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  4. JR

I recently had to have open heart surgery, because I have good insurance, my out of pocket was only $2300 dollars not the $274,000 that the hospital and doctors charged. If I had no insurance, I would be dead.

June 13, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  5. ThinkAboutIt

Great, Margaret Dormady is employed, but doesn't have health insurance. My guess is she can afford at least a catastrophic policy. But, she doesn't want to be told what to do ... so when she gets sick or injured, guess who'll foot the bill? The rest of us.

The un-insured and under-insured cost everyone billions of dollars every year in higher and higher health insurance premiums. Why? Because those folks only seek medical care when they absolutely have to and since they can't pay – and hospitals and doctors don't turn them away – then the cost of their care gets passed along to everyone else.

Maybe what Margaret Dormady really ought to do is get a notarized statement declaring that she not only doesn't want to carry health insurance, and doesn't want to be told what to do, that she will also spare us the cost of her medical care and should she get sick or need medical attention, she will decline it.

June 13, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  6. bill

I'm a retired healthcare professional and just recently was eligible for Medicare. Let me tell you. Medicare is superior to what my private Blue Cross/Blue Shield offered, and even my own personal physician is for single payer healthcare. He has to hire three extra office people to fill out all the forms for the different insurance plans of patients that he sees, and waits for 45-90 days for payment. EVEN HE SAYS THAT HE WOULD BE IN FAVOR OF GOVERNMENT RUN HEALTHCARE BECAUSE OF THE PROBLEMS THAT THE PRESENT SYSTEM CAUSES. The present bureaucracy of many multiple plans with multiple insurance companies is just impossible to manage.

And for those people who say that we do not need government run healthcare, ask the MILLIONS who are now covered by government supervised healthcare on medicare and medicaid how they feel about the system. They will tell you that one single payer (the government) is more effeicient and better at delivering healthcare than the private sector is now offering.

The Republicans and wealthy who oppose healthcare reform are the ones who have very good private insurance and care very, very little about the people who do not have such coverage. Their mantra is "I've got mine, let them get theirs"....... so very generous of them.

June 13, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  7. MikeH

I wonder how many families King interviewed before he found one that said what he wanted to hear and broadcast?

King is a shill for the exploitative plutocracies that are destoying America for profit, including the healthcare (oxymoron) industry.

June 13, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  8. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

Medicare is "socialized medicine" and I have it along with a supplemental and I seldom have to pay ANYTHING and have had two knee replacements, two foot surgeries, and several sinus surgeries.

My children live in Australia where everyone has "Medicare," and they love it!

What is the fear about??????????

My fear is that Medicare will change and I will have to pay higher premiums or some of the bills I don't have to pay now.....

June 13, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  9. bsmith171

only one thing is certain.

HIGHER COSTS/TAXES.
    LESS HEALTH CARE.

that you can write down and check 1 year, 5 years, 10 years or 40 years. and when the chinese come to collect tehir bonds they will make all retirees return to work. in china you work till you die.

June 13, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  10. PUMA

John King you're just a biased and a hate filled journalist

June 13, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  11. nick

To me, Margaret Dormady, sounds like an uneducated women.
    She can´t afford health coverage, but only wants the coverage she wants. I guess she can predict the illnesses she will get in her lifetime.
    She doesn´t want to be told when she can have health coverage... (stupid comment) I guess we will pay her medical bills until she is ready for health coverage.
    And, of course all us citizens are anxious to see her medical records as they make the rounds across the country.
    I bet lots of people are lined up trying to buy real estate from this very intelligent women.

June 13, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |