June 13th, 2009

King: Diners skeptical about prospects for health care overhaul

CNN's John King, from left, talks health care with diners Stafford Ezzard and Margaret and Blanche Dormady.

ORLANDO, Florida (CNN) - Blanche and Margaret Dormady bristle at the mention of a stronger federal government hand in their health care. Stafford Ezzard, on the other hand, can live with that.

"I trust the government more than many people do," said Ezzard, a music teacher.

"It will make it worse," Blanche Dormady said without hesitation.

At Junior's Diner in Orlando, the raisins added just the right touch to the oatmeal, and the cinnamon muffin was perfect.

And a breakfast conversation about health care is a reminder to us - and to Congress - that even those who agree that the American health care system needs some serious work are not necessarily on the same page about how to go about the repairs.

Margaret Dormady, Blanche's daughter, described herself as a Democrat who votes on issues, not party label.

"I'm against national health care," Margaret said.

She works as a real estate appraiser and a massage therapist. "I personally don't have health insurance because it is too expensive," she said. "But I want to get for myself what I need. And I don't want to be told what I can have and when I can have it. And I sure as hell - excuse me - don't want the government having my medical records running throughout the United States."

Full story

Filed under: Health care
  1. New Day

...and that's why Republicans win elections. People formulate their opinions based on rumors and fear. There is no formal proposal AT ALL (yet) in place for the healthcare overhaul and people are commenting already on why they don't like it.

June 13, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  2. Mary the Democrat

We already pay an arm and a leg for health insurance, so the last thing we need is to be asked to pay additional costs to cover someone else's insurance. Especially during this economy.

If the Economy was doing great and people weren't worried about losing their homes and their jobs then maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

However, now is not that time......so if the President can come up with a way to cut costs without adding an additional burden to Americans then I'm for it......otherwise.... forget it!

June 13, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  3. Peoples Voice

Margaret Dormady said, "And I don't want to be told what I can have and when I can have it. "

It is apparent she does not have coverage by an insurance company. If she did, she would know that the people who tell her what she can and can not have are the company's bean counters.

I trust my VA provider much more than a CPA who's job it is to protect company profits.

June 13, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  4. GI Joe

The fear that is being spread by some with a vested interest in the Insurance Companies should be against the law.

June 13, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  5. LacrosseMom

What CNN should be doing is informing and educating people about national healthcare! Not only, interviewing people, but more importantly given us information. There is a lot of lies out there, fear-mongering, and misinformation!

PBS did a special on national healthcare, and the problems with our healthcare system. When ........ 62%....... of Americans declare bankruptcy because of the high cost of healthcare our system is broken!

Come on CNN, do one of your specials and inform America!

June 13, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  6. Scott

First the Banking industry, then the Housing Industry, then the Auto Industry, then the Tobacco Industry, now the he wants the Heath Care industry to be taken over by the Goverment. What's next the Newspaper Industry or maybe the Entertainment Industry so he can control what is reported. Sounds like an Obama is trying to pattern this country after Iran or China which would not surprise me since he is Muslin. He most likely has an autograph picture of Osama BIn Laden, why else would he want to release terriost from Gitmo into this country. Obama back for this country.

June 13, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  7. Steve/Boston

John King you ought to be ashamed of yourself for such partisan reporting. Don't you feel any responsibility to ask questions that are neutral? Don't you feel any responsibility as a reporter to do some education and actually contribute to the conversation rather than ratchet up misunderstanding and misconceptions? We haven't even seen the options, nor do we understand how they will fit together. But OPTIONS is the operative word. The government isn't going to force people to have public insurance. It might be an option. And while we're at it, we seem to like the "government"...which IS the people not some bizarre, disconnected entity....running the armed forces, and building highways, and regulating financial institutions. Why do you act and interview as if the "government" is trying to take over people's lives? Because that's what you believe. It would be far easier to read your "reporting" if you were honest about your bias. I'm an independent who sees the country heading in a more positive direction, why not talk to some folks like me? We do make up the majority after all.

June 13, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  8. skyhawkdriver

The more that I hear from the administration of bert and ernie the more that I come to realize that the common people..and by that I mean the working class..the more I realize what a financial mess this country is digging itself deeper and deeper in to..the only thing that has changed in washington is the name if the stooge in the white house..this country is broke..the clowns in congress have spent trillions of dollars that don't exist and have been borrowed..the only universal healthcard we will have will be governed by the chinese

June 13, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  9. Glennis

Bloomberg is reporting that it will come with at least a $600 billion dollar tax increase along with decreases in Medicare and Medicaid. Lovely. That's probably a huge understatement. And there's no guarantee that healthcare won't actually suffer from government's ham-handed involvement.

June 13, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  10. Leah

John King travels the country trying to find people who will dis the president. I would imagine that the CNN blogs will be full of John King today in an attempt to sell his show. Just like yesterday was full of Palin because Blitzer had her on for an interview.

June 13, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  11. Alan

It amazes me at how many people think that the govt should provide everything for everybody. It seems that our public school system has finally convinced everyone that standing on your own and providing for your self is a bad think.

It's too bad. These social tricks have been tried in other places and have failed. Why can't we learn from this??

What kind of country will we live in when we all just work for the govt and give them our money and let them tell us what kind of cars we can drive, what kinds of foods we can eat (part of the govt health care plan), what kind of light bulbs we can buy (Ca is already doing this), and what kind of books we can read.

Come on America we are better than this!!!!!!!!!

June 13, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  12. I laugh at Limbaugh daily.

Dear Margaret,your records and personal info can and will be found out, no matter who you get to cover your health coverage.Privacy is no longer an option in the modern world.Big Brother is here to stay.He knows if youve been sleeping,he knows if youve been bad,so you might as well get glad.Republicans and Democrats are both in the pockets of the chosen few.

June 13, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  13. katiec

They admit our health care system is broke and needs to be fixed but do not see any suggestions or ideas.
    King, you are in anti-Obama country.

June 13, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  14. Anonymous

The headlines are health care reform. I have seen nothing to reform health care. Reform would be initiatives to reduce the costs of healthcare, such as not permiting those in the industry to establish or own the facility and duplicate the fees health care professionals charge for services, or determining the return on use of technological equipment used in the facilities. Does every facility need to own and pay for competitive equipment such as an MRI system, or would referral of the patient to a common located systm make more sense?

What is proposed as health care reform is nothing more than socialized medicine, where those that can pay for it are stuck for the bill of those that cannot, or will not. Reduce the cost, not make those who work legally pay for those that don't.

June 13, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  15. Anonymous

""I personally don't have health insurance because it is too expensive," she said. "But I want to get for myself what I need. And I don't want to be told what I can have and when I can have it. And I sure as hell — excuse me — don't want the government having my medical records running throughout the United States."
    -------

Wow, this amounts to:

I want free health care
    But I dont want to pay for it
    But I want the health plan to pay for eveything, anytime I want
    And I dont want to modernize medical records

The diner obviously shops at walmart a lot

June 13, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  16. Kevin -- Evansville, Indiana

Seems like a lot of older folks are opposed to health care reform, citing that it's socialism. Of course, if socialism is bad, we need to cut out socialist security payments, and Medicare as well. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

June 13, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  17. The Truth, Green

I want to understabd why every Sunday John (Don) Kings program SOTU only highlights negative issues regarding the economy. I believe there are places that have had or are having positive issues of growth and alternative source of employment. For Example, In Detriot I read of a solar panel production company that is expanding and plan will be hiring over 600 new workers. In the midwest Green Products manufacturing are on the rise. The town that got destroyed by tornado, is completely rebuilding green. There is also this resort that was having skyrocketing cost of electricity, but decided to build a wind mill to generate power. They have now and are saving 2/3 of their electric bills and providing power to the neghbouring communities. And they have only one wind station.
    Doesn't King see or hear all this. I guess people with positive changes have wriiten to invite him but since it will show the positive side of the Obama message, he is ignoring it.
    Please stop being a green snake under a green grass.

June 13, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  18. David form WI

My post was meant for the article

King: Falling between health care cracks in Orlando

June 13, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  19. Tim, Seattle

That whole Blanche part of the story...wow, what a living contradiction she is....

Ok, so it boils down to this......she's no Democrat...just a Walmart shopper with a discount mentality to match/ Let us review what she is saying:

I want a cheap private health insurance plan:

That I dont have to pay for (because I dont understand the concept of risk)

I want to get treatment for anything I want even if I dont need it (because I think waste is okay)

They shouldnt raise my rates (because treating people without insurance or ones that have it with unecessary procedures shouldn't affect my premium)

And I want the healthplan to pay for everything (because they shoukd)

And I dont want to modernize healthcare (because I know nothing about tecnology and the savings it provides)

June 13, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  20. JonDie

Between the insurance companies, the hospital companies and the Republican Party, there's no way anything will change. We are truly being held hostage by the rich and powerful at the cost of our health.

June 13, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  21. Ted

I am not in favor of government nationalized healthcare either. But there has to be at least a minimal healthcare plan for the millions of Americans that don't have it. How do we get to that ideal? We need solutions.

June 13, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  22. Reformed Republican

To Margret Dormandy...
    You can have your views about how to take care of your own health and health care insurance – or not – but don't even think of standing in the way of the large majority of Americans who WANT and NEED good health insurance, regardless of who is providing it.
    Get your health care needs taken care of anyway you like but don't ask me to do it your way...

June 13, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  23. mk

Does Margaret feel safer letting the insurance companies decide what she gets when?
    If she thinks that ins't how the system works right now she is so misinformed it is almost criminal.
    Doesn't anybody get it? Today as we speak, the insurance companies of America are deciding what we get, how often we get it, if we need it or if we don't. Your doctor is NOT the person who decides, you insurance company is. Unless of course you want to pay for it yourself. This is what the insurance companies bank on. You and your employer pay them hundreds of dollars per year. The insurance company dictates what is covered and what isn't. Right down to the bandages and crutches you might need for a broken ankle.
    If they don't pay and you need it YOU PAY and the insurance company keeps getting you and your employers premium month after month.
    DO NOT BE MISLED BY CLAIMS OF SOCIALIZED MEDICINE.
    Understand how the system works.

June 13, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  24. SR

The question is simply this: Do you want insurance industry bureaucrats running the health care system with accountability to no one - or do you want to have it run by government bureaucrats who are at least accountable to elected leaders?

We'll let Margaret get hit with a massive bill for even a single significant health issue with no insurance and see whether she'd like a little government coverage.

June 13, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  25. Rosa, b'ham al

I think it is funny that this woman without insurance is against a government run system. She will be the first to start screaming and running to the government for help when she gets sick and has to declare bankruptcy because of her medical bills. It hard to reason with people who have their heads in the sand. Seems to me government run health care is better than none at all.

June 13, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |