June 13th, 2009

King: Diners skeptical about prospects for health care overhaul

CNN's John King, from left, talks health care with diners Stafford Ezzard and Margaret and Blanche Dormady.

ORLANDO, Florida (CNN) - Blanche and Margaret Dormady bristle at the mention of a stronger federal government hand in their health care. Stafford Ezzard, on the other hand, can live with that.

"I trust the government more than many people do," said Ezzard, a music teacher.

"It will make it worse," Blanche Dormady said without hesitation.

At Junior's Diner in Orlando, the raisins added just the right touch to the oatmeal, and the cinnamon muffin was perfect.

And a breakfast conversation about health care is a reminder to us - and to Congress - that even those who agree that the American health care system needs some serious work are not necessarily on the same page about how to go about the repairs.

Margaret Dormady, Blanche's daughter, described herself as a Democrat who votes on issues, not party label.

"I'm against national health care," Margaret said.

She works as a real estate appraiser and a massage therapist. "I personally don't have health insurance because it is too expensive," she said. "But I want to get for myself what I need. And I don't want to be told what I can have and when I can have it. And I sure as hell - excuse me - don't want the government having my medical records running throughout the United States."

Full story

Filed under: Health care
  1. CONNIE

Since they closed the comment box for health insurance. do you people really believe that national insurance will pay for a liver transplant. and do you know that if we have national healthcare there will be over 2 million people without jobs from the insurance companies, instead of creating jobs we will be losing them. and now he wants to tax the people who have health insurance with their jobs which is already taxed once so that we can pay for people who don't work or who are illegal (that is why california is so bad off) so that they can of health care.

June 13, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  2. Dave

Is this lady delusional? She doesn't have health insurance already so when she goes to the hospital and is told that an operation will cost her $20,000 she will be told what she can have, and when she can have it. And that will be: You can't afford this, and you won't be able to have this operation.

June 13, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  3. Dan Dent

I think President Obama has demonstrated a great deal of
    leadership in re-capitializing the economy and easing the
    credit freeze for small businesses. The intervention for General
    Motors was needed and will make GM more competitive and
    buy time for them to modernize their operations. In the area of
    healthcare he is modernizing the horrible failure of employer based
    healthcare and providing a strong public option to ease the burden
    on employers while providing a non-profit insurance agency
    for low cost rates for those employers who wish to participate.

June 13, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  4. Larry

From their statements it's quite obvious these "regular people" have no clue about health care, or how it's supported

As well it appears, they do little to make sure they themselves are healthy ... as in eating habits ... proper weight ... etc.

Apparently, they could care less ...

Why should anyone else ...

June 13, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  5. truthsayer

John King: Republican sympathizer and apologist

June 13, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  6. Candy Wilson

If you are insured under an HMO plan now, you are governed by the insurance company as to what hospital ,doctor and procedure you get Or you have an 80/20 coverage and are left with 20% of the bill. Just ask me, I have a chronic illness and have 5 current medical bills now...I heard Gov. Huckabee this am say National Health Insurance would force private companies out of business.. Not if all the NAysayers who don't want national coverage.. They will have the option to stay with their provider.. So if what you have is so good, why would you change ? Therefore, the business remains the same...Universal health care is only being about helping someone like me....I can not afford private cov. and I am on medicare.. And guess what, I'm not your "typical low life democrat".. I worked as RN for over 30 yrs.. Worked in health care and here I am with poor health care coverage....You go Mr. President..

June 13, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  7. J.C.

I would trust my medical records with our government much more than with any private health insurance company, which is a nonproductive for-profit-only organization of our society. One-payer government health care like Medicare or the Canadian health system will work just fine. Why do we have to reinvent wheels?

We should free the resources of our private health insurance industry. I am sure the employees in this sector will appreciate life much better after they take a productive and appreciative job in a different sector. The only people that will go against it would be those profiting from the private health insurance industry. Don't be deceived by all the scares. Just look around the world. We are unfortunately behind in health care and education for all.

If you wonder why you should pay for those that can't afford coverage, don't you want them to get medical help ASAP if they have swine flu symptoms? A healthy and productive country is good for everyone.

June 13, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  8. Jason Stanley

"I personally don't have health insurance because it is too expensive...But I want to get for myself what I need. And I don't want to be told what I can have and when I can have it." – the mentality of an idiot...

June 13, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  9. Alfred E. Neumann

And well they should be.

If they truly wanted helath care reform then they should have voted for Hillary Clinton.

What they have now is a Chicago style politician who talks a great game but delivers very little. Ah, but CNN and MSNBC love him – can't get his face on television fast enough.

Health care reform requires breaking some eggs with the insurance companies and HMOs – Barack Obama is not up to the task. Too much campaign money flows into the Democratic party for anything significant to be accomplished.

Liberals are content to throw stones at Sarah Pallin. Liberals need less idiology and more focus – no hope in that happening anytime soon.

June 13, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  10. S Callahan

scary thought...your medical records connected to everything government related.......
    being a former cps worker...when cps began it was suppose to be confidential...but come on...people actually target families (yeah it's formally denied..but trust me..it happens) once they are in the system...it is not working as it should...and this many turn out to be an issue as well (personal health records in all arms of govement..not a good thing)

June 13, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  11. RA

Let me get this straight. This woman has no health insurance at all because it's too expensive. The government wants to give her the option to buy the same plan members of Congress have for less money than the plan she cannot currently afford, and she's worried about not being able to decide exactly what would be covered? I tell you what... when you cannot afford health insurance at all, that's still someone telling you what you 'can't have and when.' What you 'can't have' is medical care and 'when' is ever. Don't people ever stop to think for themselves before parrotting the nonsense they hear on conservative talk radio?

June 13, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  12. Gwen

I work for a company called BEN-E-LECT in California. We have been saving companies 25-50% on health insurance premiums for the last 12 years. Every company that we have on our books have saved money.
    Carriers hate what we do, but every employer loves what we have done for them because we lower their premiums without reducing their benefits.
    We have a Chamber program that gives them the ability to get even more savings. Why won't our government meet with us to see how we are helping?
    We're the grassroot company that has been lowering the cost of health care for employers fot 12 years.

June 13, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  13. jb

it should tell us something that a working person with no healthcare of her own does not want the government healthcare option – the government has already proven they cannot manage medicare or social security (or the auto industry, or tarp funds, or gas prices, etc.) what makes anyone feel they can manage healthcare?

June 13, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  14. Smart People

Why would anyone listen to an opinion on national health care from a person who doesn't have health care. And because it's too expensive?? That's why they are trying to do something about it!

June 13, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  15. Kuratali

I think the perfect answer is national healthcare that allows idiots, or anyone else, to opt out at there own discretion.

June 13, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Who do these people think makes their health care choices now? Their doctors? If they think for ONE minute that doctors make choices for them and in their best interest then they best think again.

Insurance companies make the choices now, they say what drug can be prescribed and how often it can be filled, if that drug doesn't work? Too bad, you have to write a letter begging for the one that may work and IF they insurance company agrees then maybe the patient gets the medicine.

Wake up people!!!! Hospitals are not making record rofits, INSURANCE COMPANIES are. The arguement that people don't want the government to make their choices just does not hold water, we ceeded our choices to the insurance company a long time ago. The whole systems needs reformed and I for one hope that it is.

June 13, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  17. You cannot be serious!

I've been watching the last year the demogogary of Health care

Government take over of Health care ohhhhhhhhhhhh

let's be clear

what's the difference between an insurance company and the Government? one spends too much and the other spends all it's time trying to deny care.

Huckabee had it right we have a health crisis

we have providers in a asymmetric system that depending on the insurance provider and what is necessary will over bill, over test, over schedule appointments to make up for something else they are not doing. So some are getting too much care for things they don't need while others aren't getting anything till it's too late.

If you were to replace Insurance premiums with the word taxes then this would have been taken care of a long time ago. IF health care has doubled since 2000 and your income hasn't then you are paying a
    price either with less benefits, more co-pays, less stable company or all of the above.

June 13, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  18. ib

I'm in my mid 60's and still working due to health costs or at least that is part of the reason but I am dead set against the gov. taking on this. For one thing; the gov. is out of money; for another the gov. has never done anything right when they take over something except ruin it. Higher prices and less care is where we are headed with this. Another thing for Obama and his far left wingnuts to controll.

June 13, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  19. Margaret

I don't know where people get the idea that all of the sudden they'd be denied treatment at the whim of the government with a national plan. I see no indication of any further restrictions to covered care than one already has with private plans.

Obviously, there may be some elective things, like cosmetic surgery for example, that may not be covered, but that isn't covered now for most plans!

Also, while I'm not a huge fan of the government having access to our medical records, they probably already do have access AND at least the government wouldn't be so quick to SELL that information to companies like ChoicePoint etc. who buy that data, then sell that data and sometimes have it stolen from them.

June 13, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  20. Denna

First of all, John King is a hack! Now on to the real issue. We need a decent alternative to the healthcare we have now. If the whiners would shut up and listen they might have heard that President Obama does not want to force anyone to use government healthcare. It will be an alternative to private insurance. With that kind of competition, private insurance should become cheaper. If, as the lady stated in the article, she does not want to be told what she can have and when to use it, you may not have noticed but private insurance already enjoys that privilege. Veterans records are kept by the government. Do you think you're too good? I wish Americans would let these programs be implemented to see how they work before they pan them outright.

Blanche, you don't have health insurance. I pray that you don't get injured, or get really sick, or have the mammogram get ugly on you. You will quickly find out that life without health insurance can get ugly. You will than end up with government insurance, in the form of Medicaid. We need to have something put in place that will help people like you who can't afford healthcare. You are one of the people that President Obama is trying to help. Get a clue.

June 13, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  21. Mark

If the government wants your medical records then they already have them. The system we have now is broken and the actions of the insurance companies are almost criminal. If extending medicare to all citizens is what it takes to fix the problem, save room at the front of the line. I'm tired of the self-serving attitude some people have. Their hubris gets so tiring.

June 13, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  22. skyhawkdriver

Let's see..congress gets free healthcare for life..illegal immigrants get free healthcare..joe biden got free hair transplants..now this president who while admitting that details are thin,continues with his plans to ram down the throats of the working people of america his boondoggle of a healthcare plan..what union is he trying to bend over backwards for now??

June 13, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  23. Ken, Vail, AZ

Perhaps if Margaret had health insurance she would realize just how broken the system is. Health insurers already ration health care and stand between the patient and doctor; and arbitrarily raises rates when they want to increase their income. If the free market had an interest in fixing the problem, then why haven't they done so? Anf if the GOP has a better plan, then why didn't they fix the problem when they were in the majority? The answer is simple, neither wants to fix the problem. It suits them fine just the way it is.

June 13, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  24. Rick

Even most liberals think the whole Obama health plan sucks.

June 13, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  25. alan

Why do you always interview people in "Gooberville" America? These people don't vote for Democrats. It's forbidden. –Rush Limbaugh tells them not to. –Despite their pathetic, dire straights, these people are Republican-biased... (not to mention idiots.)

Why not, for a change, interview people in progressive parts of the country??

June 13, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |