June 14th, 2009

Biden expresses 'doubts' about Iranian election

Vice President Joe Biden weighed in Sunday on the election results in Iran.
Vice President Joe Biden weighed in Sunday on the election results in Iran.

(CNN) - Vice President Joe Biden expressed doubts Sunday about the validity of Iran's presidential election, but said it will take more time to analyze the results.

"I have doubts, but withhold comment," Biden said on NBC's "Meet the Press" program.

The Iranian government announced that President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad won Friday's election with 62.63 percent of the vote. The result sparked protests by supporters of his main rival, Mir Hossein Moussavi, who claim the vote was rigged.

Biden said the Iranian government has suppressed crowds and limited free speech by shutting down social networking sites such as Facebook, which he said raised questions. He also called the strong showing by Ahmadinejad "unlikely," based on pre-election analysis.

"Is this the response, is this the accurate response, is this the wish of the Iranian people?" Biden said.

Full story

Filed under: Iran • Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. kurt

How funny. The administration that funded ACORN has doubts about an election result.

June 14, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  2. John

The White House just don't get it

June 14, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  3. skyhawkdriver

Poor old joe..he is left with nothing to do in this administration but be wheeled out once a week to open his mouth and insert his foot..his comments continue to be in suffigent and meaningless..what buisness is it of his who wins or loses in iran??..when is the fractured fairy tale that is the administration of the obumbler going to start paying attention to north korea??..the israelis are going to take care iran very soon..living by the meaningless sanctions of the united nations will allow north korea to continue to build up it's nuclear arsenal and threaten not only southeast asia but eventually america

June 14, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  4. BJNJ

Ahmadinejad is a weezle. He put in the fix. The guy's a nut case. Maybe the masood can resolve his existance. BJNJ

June 14, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  5. prairieguy

geee,haters are up early yet again today!!!

June 14, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  6. phoenix86

Yes, after seeing the Oblama response to North Korean missle launches and nuclear tests, I'm sure the Iranians are terrified of us.

June 14, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  7. Dawn in Pa

You tell them Joe.... You remember how George W Bush stole the elections back in 2000 and in 2004... Well we can blame that one on Karl Rove... Well do they have a Karl Rove in Iran... OH NO... Mr. Bill, you know don't you, Karl Rove is there... This is made into a humorous statement.

The reality if you have been seeing the news, they are arresting everyone who voted against Ahmadinejad. I could actually make this into something hilarious, but the irony of this all someone will...

CNN I must say this and please post this, To all of you out there in Internet land, I read that the Patriot Act is still in effect until 2010... and even though Bush is no longer in the oval office, you can take this anyway you like.... and if you like to have this over turned or revisied please call your congressperson.

June 14, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  8. Margaret

First time Biden is right in my lifetime!!!!

June 14, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  9. Dave

He must not of had Obama's teleprompter. What a goofball.

June 14, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  10. john

Don't many of have more than "doubts" about the 2000 election in the U.S.?

June 14, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  11. they need a coup

that Iranian wacko of a pres. is not going quietly

June 14, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  12. Champly

Maybe if Plugs can get Barry to wag his finger at Iran and tell them he is disappointed with them then maybe Ahmadinejad will repent of his sins.

I confess to being a hater. I hate Marxists. I hate people who spend eight years destroying an honroable president only to turn around and duplicate almost exactly his forign policy. I hate people who for 20 years are in weekly "services" with a racist Chicago "preacher" who hates Jews and other assorted non-black groups. I hate the people who voted for this person without a wit of remorse. I hate people who declare the murder of Tiller and the museum guard hate crimes but don't seem to know that a military man was murdered by a radical Islamist in Arkansas a couple of weeks ago.

June 14, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  13. ib

Yes; the haters are up early today since we were taught by the best; far left liberals for the past 8 yrs. who are still covering Obama's butt by still blaming everything on Bush. In my opinion Obama is a weak president when it comes to anything but gov. taking controll of our lives. He won't do or say anything about this since he is weak and loves gov. controll of everything.

June 14, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  14. Ari

LOL...Israel is going to take if Iran???? Obviously you have no idea about what you are talking about. I think next time before you want to make a comment, you should do a little research and educate yourself first.

June 14, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  15. RR

Way to take a stand, Joe!

Freedom takes a back seat to meely mouthed diplomacy

June 14, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  16. NOWAY!

I can't believe the good people of Iran would vote this hateful dictator back in office!

June 14, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  17. Hunter

I agree with Curt, The US has no right to call anyone else's election unfair! How is ACORN even legal? And how about this, why is it everytime there's a close election and they have a recount it's always the Democrat that comes up with more votes ?? !!!!!!!!!!

June 14, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  18. Otto

CNN prefer to post those from ignorant people but any post with common sense gets deleted. Welcome to another FOX5

June 14, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  19. gail

I have doubts about the election in Iran too. VP Biden is right . The theocratic dictatorship in Iran had a chance to do what was in the best interest of their people and once again chose to grab the power and hold on to it. They are kicking out western journalists and closing down communications. Free and Fair election? I think not.

June 14, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  20. Seattle Sue

phoenix86 and skyhawk driver. Would you feel better about North Korea if President Obama called them the Axis Of Evil?

June 14, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  21. Bruce

The good news about the outcome of this election is; "Isreal has even MORE justification to take whatever means they feel necessary to defend themselves".

June 14, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  22. Sniffit

geez Dawn & John....its been almost 9 years and you're STILL bitter.

just think of how much more out of life you would have achieved if you weren't.

or does that make you more bitter

June 14, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  23. Champly

I agree with Otto – better to be a tool of the Obama administration than to allow a variety of opinions that you see on FOX.

June 14, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  24. Kenney in Albany

I too have my doubts about the Iranian election, however I'm an American not an Iranian. I know that I would be mad as heck if the Iranians had taken some action during the Bush/Gore FL elections.

For goodness sake, don't we Americans have our own corrupt politicians to worry about. Ours DO have nukes! I hope that this administration does not get too involved in what is purely an Iranian internal matter.

June 14, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  25. MH

I think US need to watch what they say about Iran election. On the one hand saudi arabia, egypt, Jordan never even have a democratic election but never get critisized by us but on the other hand Iran getting critisism for having one. US doesn't even recognized Palestinians democratic election that took place before. When it doesn't go to US favor we always critisize thats shouldn't be our policy. We spending billions of $$$ to promore democracy in Iraq.

June 14, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |