June 14th, 2009

Biden expresses 'doubts' about Iranian election

Vice President Joe Biden weighed in Sunday on the election results in Iran.
Vice President Joe Biden weighed in Sunday on the election results in Iran.

(CNN) - Vice President Joe Biden expressed doubts Sunday about the validity of Iran's presidential election, but said it will take more time to analyze the results.

"I have doubts, but withhold comment," Biden said on NBC's "Meet the Press" program.

The Iranian government announced that President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad won Friday's election with 62.63 percent of the vote. The result sparked protests by supporters of his main rival, Mir Hossein Moussavi, who claim the vote was rigged.

Biden said the Iranian government has suppressed crowds and limited free speech by shutting down social networking sites such as Facebook, which he said raised questions. He also called the strong showing by Ahmadinejad "unlikely," based on pre-election analysis.

"Is this the response, is this the accurate response, is this the wish of the Iranian people?" Biden said.

Full story

Filed under: Iran • Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. Nestor, Austin, TX

Ah, the comic relief rears his head again.

"I have doubts, but withhold comment"

Isn't that commenting Joe? At least we'll have a few laughs while this administration sets our children and grandchildren up to be slaves to China. This administration has quadrupled Bush's (previous) record deficit and they will double the debt. By the time Obama's done it will take 2/3 of tax revenue to pay the INTEREST on the debt. But who's counting?

June 14, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  2. Champly

The Democrat Party found over 200 ballots in a car trunk in MN, ballots that a Carter judicial appointee allowed, in an attempt to give the Obamist Franken the senate seat. And the Democrat Biden has the nerve to accuse Iran of voter fraud ?

June 14, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  3. Tim

Who would have thought that the VP would be more insightful than the President on this issue. What did Obama say, that it was pleasant to see the vigorous debate in Iran?

June 14, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  4. nate

Its a dictatorship. What did you expect? Hey rightie – bitter much?

June 14, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  5. Reggie

So does almost everyone else.

June 14, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  6. Sniffit

@ Tim

did you actually expect Obama to say anything meaningful about anything? Biden may say a bunch of nonsense at times, but anyone that talks whenever he gets the chance will say something insightful from time to time

give a million monkeys a million typewriters....

June 14, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  7. Shayne from NH

Yes, I too am a confessed hater. I hate inbred redneck southern folks. I hate gun-toting hillbilly's that shoot birds and squirrels off their porch because it's fun to kill something. I hate people who love George W. Bush. I hate people who like him. I hate the loser "confederates" that can't seem to understand the civil war ended 144 years ago. I hate uneducated people. I hate republicans. I hate uneducated republicans, which just so happens to make up 90% of the republican base. I hate people who comment that ACORN should have worked with Iran. I hate people who say Joe Biden is an idiot for calling the correct shot with the Iranian election. Yep, I'm a hater. And though this doens't have much to do with anything, I think CNN was a lot better off without the obscenely self-obsessed John King. It would be great if you could post this CNN.

June 14, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  8. JT

If, as appears likely, the election in Iran has been stolen, that is the nail in the coffin for the Islamic Republic. The institutions of that democracy are rigged to protect the interests of the religious elite and their perspective is fully and in my opinion, excessively represented by institutional perogatives in the Iranian government and constitution. However, if they have to stoop to stealing an election, then the last underpining of their legitimacy drops away. If the Iranian people do their own legwork, they could eventually see dramatic change and even revolution. However, the US cannot and will not get involved. I hope that Gene Sharp's Politics of Nonviolent Action has a Farsi edition.

June 14, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  9. I laugh at Limbaugh daily.

The rightwing hippocrites rule Iran,just like they wish they could do here.

June 14, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  10. Kirk

It's an interesting confluence here: mostly Bush-backers, mostly illiterate, who by definition believe in rigging elections and HATE democracy. (remember Florida 2000?).

(Although I understand your need to find more opportunities to bash Obama/Biden, since so far they are making ALL the right movies, mopping up the destruction left behind behind by your Bush/Cheney – the worst administration in history – who took office by a judicial coup d'etat.)

June 14, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  11. David

Hunter, your conspiracy theories are weak and baseless. Chambly, your bitterness is pathetic and does nothing to help your country. The murder of Tiller and themuseum guard were hate crimes....and there are MANY more hate crimes that we do not hear about, but it doesn't change the fact of these two incidents. Secondly, you have NO facts supporting that Obama attended services weekly. I really doubt he attended church much at all, but maybe you should find out from the source rather than ignorantly speculate. Phoenix86, I know its hard to hide your hate of the current administration, but I havent read one intelligent solution regarding North Korea. Are you capable of coming up with one? If you are, try supporting your country by offering one to your government. Good diplomacy and foreign policy is a delicate act that doesn't give place to extreme non constructive ideas. Lastly to Dave, your sarcastic reference to teleprompters are old. The teleprompter doesn't write the speech, but it takes ignorance to believe that it does.

June 14, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  12. Seattle Rocks

I have doubt's too. Ahmadinejad is 1/2 baked, he wasn't going to give up power so easily. What a shame!!

I see the Republicans are still throwing ACORN around...losers!! Get over yourselves!! Still making up LIES and conspiracy theories ! You didn't seem to mind when Pres. Bush stole 2 elections!

June 14, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  13. Big John

I have the same doubts, I'm afraid this could escalate to a something very bad.

June 14, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  14. ruth

All of us need to stop watching CNN–FOX–MSNBC- CNBC– and every other station that gives out sensational news. It is only inciting anger and discontent. Most of it is BULL S- any. Stop being a pawn for stupid people like Limbaugh, Hannity, Oberman Oreilly and every other NUT who just happens to get a TV show. It shows how dumb and stupid the American public HAS BECOME. Think about it!

June 14, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  15. Fedup Guy

The thing I find amazing is that people are even suprised at this result. Like the religious leaders of that country would ever allow a reformer to take over.

They probably love these protests. They can get everyone in one place and arrest them all at once. Efficient.

June 14, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  16. tippy888

It's doubtful that the election results will have any significant meaning as long as Iran is a theocracy. Theocracy is the absolutely worst form of government, much worse than a dictatorship, since it is based upon the supreme leader having some sort of sway on a future life.

June 14, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  17. Sniffit

@ Seattle Rocks

I see the you are still throwing EIGHT YEARS AGO around…losers!!

Wait, I mean HYPOCRIT!

June 14, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  18. JC

Just because the administration doesn't like the guy, doesn't mean the election was rigged. Everything I see on CNN talks about "irregularities" in a vague way without any specific discussions.

It shouldn't come as a shock that a deeply religious nation that has seen two of its neighbors be invaded this decade, has a mortal enemy that is supported by the West, and is trying to develop self defense mechanisms and contantly being backhanded by the US, has elected a charismatic, conservative guy versus a guy who didn't even have a platform.

Color me shocked..........

But, yeah.....because the administration didn't want him to win, the election must have been rigged.

June 14, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  19. Gonzo in Houston

This election was about as fair and legitimate as the last election in Zimbabwe. This time, though, the ayatollahs may have gone too far. We can only wait and see how the Iranian people respond.

The administration is right to keep a low profile in their response. The Iranian clerics would love nothing more than a chance to shift the focus of the people's anger to the US, and away from themselves.

The standard US response to anything Ahmadinejad says should be "Who cares? The Ayatollah is the real head of state."

June 14, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  20. joe smith

one thing about that region, while everyone claims to be wiser than the next guy, they have failed at the simplist of subjects, and that includes their brothers and sisters in the United States, their faithful yes men and women in the US House and Senate, all those who are Governors,local legislators, and last but not least, our media who keep printing inflametory articles...botany. ever heard of an "olive branch"..of course not, all we read, in israel, 50% would bomb iran..nice, real nice..if it were me, I would let these people to their own devices, ( to quote a line from the godfather ), no more foreign aid, terminate their association with us completely..if they blow themselves up, they have done it on their own, good riddens..

June 14, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  21. john

Man give up the right wing BS. We have to realize the aspects of this so neocons just shut up this has nothing to do with Al Franken or republican evangelical corruption in Minnesota. This has to do with Iran. It needs to be studied and raction accordinly, not knee jerk as Bush is gone – get it!??? This also has to do with as the american right would have it running the government via religious zealots which we are really headed to. Look at Iran, I feel sorry for it. But our response must be measured and firm. This would have not evben been possible even a year ago.

June 14, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  22. Jeff

"So try to keep your narrow, hateful minds on task: we live in a democracy, we enjoy free speech, and we're discussing the election results in Iran."

Well said Kirk.

June 14, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  23. Ray from Nashville

I doubt the fairness in any election in any country where fanatics are in control. Sure, the pre-election coverage gave us an actual debate and a supposed choice, but are the mullahs really going to loosen up and allow more freedom? I doubt it.

The question now is, what can we do about it? Well, if the Republicans had won the election, we could have invaded Iran (supposedly in the name of freedom, but actually for their oil,) then tortured captives in an effort to prove that election fraud had occured. Of course, that hasn't worked out so well in Iraq.

Oh, I love the posting here about how Democrats always seem to come up with more votes in recounts. I guess these people choose not to remember the 2000 and 2004 elections. lol

June 14, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  24. Hunter

All the States and major cities in the country that are in the worse shape with debt and crime, are all run by Democrats. This whole country is going to be turned into one giant Chicago because of a bunch people who don't work (but do vote) sitting around with their hand out wanting something for nothing !!

June 14, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  25. Stay Active

I believe the out come was inacurate too. I also believe that we must engage in Diplomacy with Iran. I am Jewish. I have family living in Iseral. We want peace.

June 14, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |