June 14th, 2009

Biden: Obama has kept his word on consulting vice president

Vice President Biden said Sunday that President Obama has kept up his end of the bargain the two men made about working together in the White House.

(CNN) - Vice President Joe Biden said Sunday that President Barack Obama consults him on all major issues as promised, and that the job is what he hoped it would be.

"There's not a single decision made that he hasn't asked me my view," Biden said on NBC's "Meet the Press" program.

Biden has said he accepted the chance to be vice president on condition that he would be an important consultant and confidante to Obama.

"He's kept his end of the bargain," Biden said of Obama, describing himself as "one of the last people who has the opportunity to make my case to him."

"I think he respects my opinion," the vice president said.

Biden cited a tangible benefit of his role, saying: "I used to react to nominees to the Supreme Court; now I got to help select a Supreme Court nominee," in reference to Obama's nomination of U.S. Appellate Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the high court.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. bigTXoil

this country is suffering from senility.......8 years of BUSH & CHENEY screwed this country over not the new PRESIDENT. we all have one commen goal and that is to take care of health & family and that is why we voted for CHANGE that is happening slowly but surely.

June 14, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  2. Maggie

Biden,like obama, is nothing but a poor excuse for a human.
    Both these liars need to be kicked out of office.

June 14, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  3. Arizona

How funny it is to see everyone getting so upset with what a person writes....isn't it nice to be able to do it....it's called freedom in the United States. Some countries can't even do this.

Count your blessing that we live in a place where we can.

And thank your service men and women that fight daily for your freedom!

June 14, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  4. C Spurgeon

Biden the blowhard. Two term Limits for Congress would help this and many other issues of egos on both sides.

June 14, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  5. Selling jets on ebay for America

All I ask is that all of Biden's foot in mouth moments be monumental ones. Purely for entertainment purposes.

Thanks in advance.

June 14, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  6. David

Great Job Joe!! He actually understand what it means to be Vice President, and is not trying to be the President.

June 14, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  7. Larry from RI

June 14th, 2009 1:18 pm ET

That is one of the most stupid statements I have ever read!

Do you produce anything – other than the stark realization that the failed public education system that produced the likes of you requires an overhaul?

June 14, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  8. RealityKing

Kind of like the way he is asking for bi-partisan views. In one big ear and out the other.., which of course is a good thing well dealing with his historically doofus VP.

June 14, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  9. Dawn in Pa

@ Cali. I need to correct you on two things about LBJ, Vietnam started right directly after Korean War, it was the French who were there and when they could not handle it, they called the United States, BEFORE LBJ, but the war did not escalate until 1965 Welfare system was the brain child of FDR who introduced Social Security. It was to help the people to have money during the Great Depression. My mother was born eight months before the stock market crash.

June 14, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  10. RMG

Bravo...it sounds like everyone knows their role ...this is great.

Obama/Biden 2012

June 14, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  11. Words*Matter

The reason The One has followed through on consulting Biden is so that Biden doesn't go out and in an off-the-cuff manner publicly state that The One hasn't consulted with him. Plugs Biden is Gaffe-tastic.

June 14, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  12. Fla.

What a great team in this entire administration! Intelligence, strength, direction, pragmatism, etc...

God bless the USA!

June 14, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  13. Mike S.

It's nice to see a president who consults with his vice president, instead of a president who takes orders from the vice president.

June 14, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  14. Lolbama

Its always a hoot to hear the kool-aid junkies whine about Cheney. They generally have nothing but name-calling and crying about Halliburton.

Drink deeply Dums...

June 14, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  15. Joe--what have you done so far?

Nothing-so there's really no need for Obama to include you on anything--and he doesn't--

Joe-VP's are irrelevant--live with it.

June 14, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  16. Mark

Nobody cares.

June 14, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  17. Dee, USAF (Ret)

This team is the 1 – 2 team people "Team". The GOP's are not "Team", put "I"! Obama/Biden is my vote 2012!

June 14, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  18. Mr. Biden--I hate to....

disillusion you but VP's are to be seen and not heard--

June 14, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  19. ME IN FL

Dave,
    "Obama is not a Socialist, he is a Communist and Biden is a fool. This country is in grave danger from these third world people. I want my America back and in 3 and a half years I will get it. This is a one term team."

Do you really know what Communism is????? Why don't you go back to school and study prior to posting your comments???

June 14, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  20. Dawn in Pa

@Thin is in... Your recent comment about Obama never working a day in his life, correction.... He taught Constitutional Law, he worked going through Columbia and Harvard University... Unlike the other Presidents, he is using his own money to redecorate the Oval Office... Ooops I know another President who done that, JFK did that also. He did not even take the money that the Government pays the Presidents, wow, and he was assinssated in Dallas TX,
    I don't know if you were around for that, but I DON'T WANT THAT AGAIN, nor live through that... some of your comments on these blogs are dangerously close to something that is not pretty or right. A bunch of hatefilled bigots... .

June 14, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  21. FML

I've been following politics a lot of years and never have I seen such hate on both sides. But the biggest hate comes from the Right. The only ones left on the Republican side are extremists. That is why you still see "Republican support" being so high for the likes of Palin, Limbaugh, Colter, and Newt. There's nothing good this administration can do, so it's pointless to argue with them.

Today's GOP is so marginalized, so unimportant to most of the country, that 9 out of 10 comments can be dismissed as fear mongering drivel. Ignore it, people.

– A former registered Republican

June 14, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  22. Laughing in Utah

Dear Mr. Vice President,
    Please keep making public comments.
    Please keep making appearances on talk shows.
    Please keep opening your mouth in public.
    I enjoy watching late night talk shows and they need comic material.
    I like laughing at all politicians – at my tax paying expense.

June 14, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  23. OUTKAST

This is good news for there is no "I" in TEAMWORK. These men are doing the best they can to save our country. I hope they can turn things around soon.

June 14, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  24. yoyolite

Tim, read carefully, all the stimulus money has not been used. The first STIMULUS signed under Bush was still being spent when Obama took over. ALL of the stimulus spending WAS NOT iniated by the Obama administration. Part of being in the party of old white men is the lost of memory or in your case selective memory. There is enough blame to go around. Obama is trying to find solutions why the repugs are trying to cast stones at glass houses.

June 14, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  25. mary

I have no respect for Biden, after the weasly, cowardly, and vicious way he acted during the Clarence Thomas hearings. I hope Obama pays little attention to that jerk.

June 14, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |