June 15th, 2009

Toomey raises over $1 million

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former Republican Rep. Pat Toomey announced Tuesday that he has raised over $1 million in the past two months in his battle to beat Democratic Sen. Arlen Specter in the Pennsylvania Senate race.

"I am honored by out the outpouring of support for my campaign," Toomey said in a statement. "Thousands of people all across Pennsylvania and the country are rallying to our message of fiscal responsibility and bringing much-needed balance in Washington."

More than 11,000 individuals have contributed to his campaign since he announced candidacy on April 15, according to Toomey. The Republican Senate hopeful also said that Louisa Boyd, Specter's former finance director, joined Toomey's campaign.

Recent polls indicate that since Specter defected to the Democratic Party, his lead over Toomey has shrunk to just 9 points.

Later this month, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee is planning to hold a major New York benefit for Specter's re-election bid.

Filed under: Arlen Specter • Pat Toomey
  1. michael

you bet he is without a doubt!

June 15, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

If Sestak runs, he would have my vote. That's if I were able to vote for him.

June 15, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  3. Grrr-awful-o

...and thus ends Arlen Specter's brief, but distinguished career as a democrat...

June 15, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  4. John

For what? Last time I checked he used 65Million and didn't go beyond Utah, lol

June 15, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  5. Paul

Who can remember Hillary clinton the front runner?

June 15, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  6. Carlos

Specter you two-faced pos you will be the first of a long line of dum dems that will be voted out starting in 2010.

June 15, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. Former Spector Fan

I always admired Senator Spector even though I am a dem. However, when I heard he had switched parties simply because he knew he wouldn't have won re-election, that kind of turned me off.

I want someone in Washington who puts the people ahead of themselves. I also remember reading that the dems had a few people looking to run but since the POTUS has vitually promised Spector his complete backing they dropped out. Not much of a choice for dems in PA this time huh???

June 15, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. Dawn in Pa

I would not vote for Toomey, I know nothing about him and I would vote for Sestak, if it is my chose.

June 15, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |