June 16th, 2009

Budget office: Health bill cost is $1.6 trillion over 10 years

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Congressional Budget Office has told Congress that one of the major health reform bills moving in the Senate would cost about $1.6 trillion over 10 years, multiple congressional sources told CNN.

That figure, based on the CBO's recent findings, is well above what leaders of the Senate Finance Committee, which is writing the bill, say is their goal - to bring the overhaul in for under $1 trillion.

When Finance Committee Chairman Sen. Max Baucus, D-Montana, was asked earlier Tuesday about a rumored sky-high estimate from CBO, he refused to confirm the figure but said it was outdated.

"That reflects policy of almost two weeks ago," he said. "And doesn't reflect savings in the bill."

When asked what had changed in two weeks, Baucus replied, "senators talking to each other" about "new, better ideas."

On Monday, the non-partisan CBO produced a cost estimate on a different Senate bill - one written by the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee - saying it would cost $1 trillion, but would not insure as many people as the Democratic leaders of that committee had hoped.

Filed under: Health care
  1. Alan

Oh boy, now its up to 1.6 TRILLION, and you know the govt always underestimates, so we are actually looking at least 2 TRILLION before this is said and done.

There are now 46 million people without insurance, when the plan is implemented there will be just 37 million without. So you do the math.

This is not good for the country anyway you slice it. Come people, whether you are Dem or Rep, we have to unite in killing this monster.

June 16, 2009 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  2. Reatte Beaumont, Texas

Got to love government welfare!!!!!!!!!!! It will cost more than that and then when you can't get care people will see why the government doesn't need to have it's hands in the health care industry at all I don't want the queen speaker to tell me that I can't have a test done or if I can have the medicine I need I hope they all get voted out in 2010 and 2012 they don't deserve the position at all I am sure they will still get the best health care that we are paying for now do you think that they will not be able to get the test if they need it of course they will be cause they don't care about anyone but their self and the money that they are stealing from the tax payers

God help us and I didn't vote for the change I hope that the ones that did open their eyes and see what is happening to us. Everyone needs health care but I want me and my Doctor to decide not a dumb government official or baseball coach.

June 16, 2009 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  3. UNHAPPY LA. Dem

Just what we need, more debt that there is no way we can afford. They need to leave healthcare as is. It will be more give away to the slackers, as always. The working people will foot the bill for the welfare class.

June 16, 2009 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  4. That One Guy

$1.6 trillion we don't have, STOP SPENDING MONEY WE DON'T HAVE!!!!!!!!

June 17, 2009 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  5. lance-huffman

can anyone tell me what the health benefits the government furnishes tto the congress and senate, really would like tto know what our employees are furnished by the american public, that we are unable to get

June 17, 2009 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  6. Brad

So is there a news outlet who is actually going to tell us WHAT'S IN THIS HEALTH BILL? I've heard story after story of it's cost, but nothing about what the bill is actually supposed to be doing for people.

June 17, 2009 01:27 am at 1:27 am |