June 16th, 2009

McCain shows off his new ride outside U.S. Capitol

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. John McCain officially got the keys to his 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid on Tuesday, and promptly took it for a spin around the Russell Senate office building in Washington - but not before accidentially tripping the car alarm.

Before jumping in, McCain was overheard remarking that his new ride features a voice-activated navigation system and Sirius satellite radio.

Riding shotgun was McCain's buddy Lindsey Graham, who joked as he got into the passenger seat: "I hope I live to tell about this."

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Sniffit

@ phoenix86, who said "Your naivete is past pathetic."

Your fear is palpable.

June 16, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  2. Steve (the real one)

@FORMER republican, NEVER again! June 16th, 2009 5:08 pm ET
    You are making some serious charges. "clueless pathological liar", "" I truly despise this woman" "i don't want to be evil like she is. Palin is the anti christ". So I imagine you have proof to back any of your insane statments up! You are spewing hateful opinion only, not fact! Sad thing is your words speak more about you than they do Palin! So former republican, keep your hate within the party of "Tolerance". You are blending in well!

June 16, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  3. Texas Teacher

Thank you for sharing that with us... I realize that you hard pressed to keep the GOP "semi party heads" in the press.... but this one takes the cake!

June 16, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  4. Stephen in MN

Why does CNN continue to post these articles that are not news!?! Surely there is something happening in Washington, D.C. worth reporting other than meaningless space filling drivel.

June 16, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  5. JJ

CNN is the place for tabloid political news. This story just gives the left a chance to voice how jealous they are.

June 16, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  6. No Longer A Republican

that is just one of his many cars...who cares...time for fresh ideas, fresh people and new faces grace the political scene...out with the old and in with the newer. These OLD politician need to find a retired community and stop milking tax payers....

June 16, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  7. Ernie in LA

Obama should lead by example and own one of these cars as well. McCain has 16 "Cars" and Obama has 16 "Czars." He wants his limo and his Jet and smoke his cigarette.

June 16, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  8. stevie ray

HEY YOU LEFT WING NUT JOBS, YOU CAN MAKE FUN AND BASH THIS GUY ALL YOU WANT, OBAMA STILL WON THE LAST ELECTION......GET OVER IT

June 16, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  9. Josef F

Man, I hope there wasn't a farmer's market within 3 blocks of the capital building

June 16, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  10. joe

good ride

June 16, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  11. w.l. jones

You know who getting all the attention so he could not take it any longer so he rent a horse and buggy..i mean a ford. This is:News?: peg it right.

June 16, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  12. TCM

@ SNIFFITT – yeah, and like it's the taxpayer's responsibility to cover the UAW and OBama's screw-ups...get your face outta obama's backside!

Everyone should buy a Ford if they're buying an American made car; they did what companies should do; restructure and fix internal problems; not stick their hand out to the incompetent one.

@ DUTCH – well, dutch, at least he's earned those 13 driveways..and he's a true American..neither can be said about your waffle boy. He'd be nowhere if white, and had to earn it on his merit...er...excuse me, 100% white.

June 16, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  13. Joanna

so what? who hasn't set off there alarm?

June 16, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  14. America First

Way to go Ford...............................Beautiful car !!

June 16, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  15. Deb in Colo

Yeah, right!

Like he drives himself around Washington....

ROLF!

June 16, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  16. TCM

@ TEXAS TEACHER -

What's a shame for this country is potentially, people like you, with an uneducated mindset and ignorant grasp of the economy and real world going on around you...could be trying to teach someone....that's frightening.

June 16, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  17. Barry

Why is this news? Doesn't CNN have some barrack hussein obama drivel to report. I hope obama fails.

FAIL OBAMA FAIL OBAMA FAIL OBAMA

June 16, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  18. Chris in Va.

I'm sure there was a reason for this article, but for the life of me I don't know what it is.

June 16, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  19. John M in NoHo CA

For those who complain that stories like these don't deserve attention:

(A) – why did you even read it?
    (B) – it seemed to be worthy of your time to vent.

June 16, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  20. JT

sooo he's going green? good for him. He's doing what our dictator wants.....Or is it only ok if someone cool and hip gets a hybrid?

June 16, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  21. Chris in Va.

I'm sure there was a reason behind Stevie Ray's comment, but for the life of me I don't know what it is.

June 16, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  22. NYC REPUB

Way to go McCain.....keep it green.....So many GOPers, say americans still want gas guzzlers I think that's bull myself....I like the look of the ford fushion.

June 16, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  23. Paul

Now just to be sure: If Letterman makes a joke about this, will he get fired for it?

June 16, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  24. TCM

@ Bigotry > Hate > Home Grown Terrorism -

Yeah Phoenix86 may be all that...but, at least he's not an OBama supporter...I cannot think of a greater personal insult to one's self; but to vote out of sheer ignorance for sheer incompetence....I guess the majority of his supporters fall for the "Shamwow," commerical too...

Phoenix86 is dead on with most of his posts; speaking the truth. You see, truth to liberals is like kryptonite to Superman. Rock on Phoenix!

June 16, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  25. ken

Steve(the real one) Did you know that the spirit of the antichrist is in you? I didn't think so

June 16, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |