June 16th, 2009

Racist e-mail aimed at Obama raises hackles in Tennessee

(CNN) – The chairman of Tennessee's Democratic Party wants a Republican legislative aide fired for sending out a "reprehensible" e-mail depicting President Obama as two cartoonish white eyes peering from a black background.

Obama's image is in the last square of a collage containing portraits of the previous 43 U.S. presidents. Copies of the e-mail were posted on the Internet Monday.

Sherri Goforth, an administrative assistant to state Sen. Diane Black, R-Gallatin, has admitted she sent the e-mail May 28 with the title "Historical Keepsake Photo." She said, without elaborating, that she mistakenly sent it "to the wrong list of people."

According to the Tennessean, a Nashville newspaper, a note on the e-mail said it was paid for by the Tennessee Republican Party, but GOP officials denied that they produced it. Black chairs the Senate Republican Caucus.

Full story

Filed under: President Obama • Tennessee
  1. tedious898

Now that's just wrong! Racism in all of its most horrible form ...is alive and well in the south.

Love it...Hate it....But you can't ignore it.

That's why Tennessee is top's in the nation for intellectual superiority – Yeah Right....stupidity has no bounds in the volunteer state!

June 16, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  2. David S. Robins

Another ugly Republican racist reptile raises her ugly head. Chop it off.

June 16, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  3. wally

hahahahahaha...i perceive that too many people are too up-tight.

June 16, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  4. 5th grader

Wow!!! the simple minded people are restless!!

June 16, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  5. Caron

I am a 43 year old black female and I'm just tired of IGNORANTr me too much bec

June 16, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  6. Dave

If I were shocked, then I'd be shocked.

The GOP can pretend equality for about 15 seconds at a time. I guess we are on the next 15 seconds.

June 16, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  7. ray ray

Let's hear the hoots and hate spewed by liberals about this....

....you know... those same ones who think Sotomayer declaring Latinas are better judges than white men is NOT racist.

June 16, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  8. Brian from Virginia

Prepare for inevitable "But David Letterman said!" comments from Republicans in 3.....2......1.......!

June 16, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  9. Vegas Barbie the Paralegal for Obama

...words cannot express...my apologies to any non-racists in the south, but it seems the South is still the south, afterall. Firing is too good for this idiot...give her a good taste of what people of color have gone through for generations–both overtly and covertly– at the hands of bigots such as herself.

June 16, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  10. Peejay

Who, exactly, is on "the right list of people"? Others who think this sort of ignorant crap is funny?

June 16, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  11. barbara

you people that keep demanding that people be fired i just dont get it! how many years has this person been trained? how much education does he or she have? how well does this person do their job? and you would have someones life ruined because of something like this? i can see it if she stole from the company or slept with the booss or came in late to work every day but please give us a break. the problem with this country is that we pout UNQUALIFIED people to work and expect that they can do everything. doesnt happen (look at our president). the end does not justify the emans. her entire life thrown away cause of a stupid email? are you kidding me? please if we have to rid ourselves of employees who are racist then we better start with black america since they are the most racist of all. geez!

June 16, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  12. Cindy from NC

Why does this not suprise me!!! These types of incidents will put the GOP further behind and I really hope a new party emerges w/o those types of views.

June 16, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  13. democrat in az

Sent to the wron list ??? Why is this woman and her racist attitude still employed anywhere. Rethuglicans, same old same old .

June 16, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  14. RAY IN NJ

Yep! Fire her bigoted behind! This is NOT funny and only serves to humiliate and dehumanize Obama. This makes it easier to spur the insane extreme right to do what the crazy did at the museum! One cannot stop or change one's personal views, but the Republican party can certainly sanction one's behavior – and this one is reprehensible! To do nothing is tantamount to agreement!

June 16, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  15. Jefferson Handcock

Okay I'm waiting for John Ziegler and Gov. Palin to speak out and protest about this:

June 16, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  16. dominican mama 4 Obama

IMHO she should be fired. She was on gov't time, using the gov't's computer, she's a gov't employee. I'm sure that she's gone through Sensitivity Training that teaches you what is and isn't appropriate behaviour in the workplace in regards to what other people may find offensive.

She's gotta go.

She did'nt even apologize, just said that she sent the e-mail to the wrong people !?!

June 16, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  17. Big G

Well, the old saying – if the shoe fits...

June 16, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  18. Caron

IGNORANCE is alive and well in Tennessee. As a 43 year old black female, I could care less about someone who has no more substance to themselves than to live this type of hate-filled existence. I say get a life, stop worrying about people who don't look like you, educate yourself in something that really matters in life. The only problem is when these people are representing us and getting paid by the people.
    But the one thing that I am happy about is that through Obama's presidency, no one can really claim that blacks are always just crying racism - you see it really does exist doesn't it!

June 16, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  19. B.H.

Will it ever end people. They should just fire the people involved.

Bottom feeders

June 16, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  20. Crickets

I am sure that all of the people outraged over the Letterman comments will be equally outraged about this and posting their comments shortly.

June 16, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  21. Crazy ass human being

Bad Joke (ie Palin/Letterman) lighten up people

June 16, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  22. I can see Canada from my house!

Pathetic. Is this the party of Lincoln or Jefferson Davis? There is no excuse for this.

June 16, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  23. Former Republican Supporting Obama from Tennessee

I am from Tennessee and I have been totally ashamed and embarrassed by my state since the November elections. Tennessee's government has become increasingly right-wing, racist, and wholly incompetent. We recently passed a ridiculous bill allowing guns in clubs and bars. While our state struggles economically, our Republican lead Congress can only think about guns and stupid tea party rallies. It is totally shameful and I cannot wait to move out of this racist and ugly state!

June 16, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  24. Diane Panama City Fl

I think everyone is being too hard on Ms. Shoforth. She's just doing what the rest of the Republiturds do – email each other the racist cartoons about President Obama. It's not enough for this Neocon Brood Sow to differ with the President on policy matters; rather – in their typical make-it-personal manner – they slither around sending racist-laced emails to each other for snicker and giggle purposes. I made my remark personal because this less-than human piece of crapola deserves every scathing, blistering statement I can muster.

June 16, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  25. otto

Just another " ISOLATED " incindent , right repubs?

June 16, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |