June 17th, 2009

Obama takes aim at Fox News

Obama says Fox News is 'entirely devoted' to attacking his administration.
Obama says Fox News is 'entirely devoted' to attacking his administration.

(CNN) – Brushing off suggestions Tuesday the media is not critical enough of his administration, President Obama couldn't help but take aim at one cable news channel in particular.

"It's very hard for me to swallow that one," Obama told CNBC when asked whether he thinks the media is too easy on him. "First of all, I've got one television station entirely devoted to attacking my administration."

The interviewer quickly assumed Obama was referring to Fox News, a suggestion the president didn't disagree with.

"Well, that's a pretty big megaphone," he said. "And you'd be hard-pressed, if you watched the entire day, to find a positive story about me on that front."

"We welcome people who are asking us some, you know, tough questions," he continued. "And I think that I've been probably as accessible as any president in the first six months–press conferences, taking questions from reporters, being held accountable, being transparent about what it is that we're trying to do. I think that, actually, the reason that people have been generally positive about what we've tried to do is they feel as if I'm available and willing to answer questions, and we haven't been trying to hide them all. "

Obama struck a similar tone on the matter last month in his appearance before the White House Correspondents Dinner, during which he joked to the crowd, "Most of you covered me; all of you voted for me, apologies to the Fox table."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Steph

He wasn't taking aim. He was just stating the obvious.

June 17, 2009 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  2. walker

Anyone who believes that Fox network is "fair and balanced" also believe that Rush Limbaugh is a meek and mild victim of drug use and abuse.

June 17, 2009 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  3. TangledThorns

I sincerely hope that Obama isn't looking for a war with the highest rated cable news channel.

June 17, 2009 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  4. TomJay

Obama's criticism of Fox News is part of his (and his supporters') objective of silencing all criticism and all debate about his administration and its policies and actions. Obama's so-called "transparency" is simply questions about "enchantment." "Transparency" limited to those in the media who worship the ground Obama walks on (or who want to know what Obama finds enchanting) is not transparency.

June 17, 2009 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  5. PJ

Using that term "News" pretty loosely there, Mr. O....Fox "News"- Fairly Unbalanced. Garbage in; Garbage out pretty much describes the viewership, too.

June 17, 2009 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  6. The MIT

So one network out of all of them has the audacity not to fall in adoration at his feet. How dare they!

June 17, 2009 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  7. Bill NY

Fox is a great outlet for those who just can't get over the fact that Obama won. It should be nicknamed the sour grapes network, or the Waagh!! Waagh!! no more policies that are destructive to the US network.

June 17, 2009 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  8. RJN

Come on he knows the media Loves's him and in their eyes he could do no wrong!!!

June 17, 2009 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  9. Steve

Yeah, one network is somewhat critical of him, but all of the others (CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC.com, CNN, every major newspaper in the country, etc.) are drooling over his every "historic" utterance....

June 17, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  10. Proc

President Obama is perhaps the most arrogant politician I have seen in my lifetime. He truly believes he's God's gift to mankind. Yes, Foxnews is Republican-leaning. But every other network leans to the left.

June 17, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  11. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Why does Fox even have a news outlet? There's not one credible journalists on the entire network.

June 17, 2009 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  12. S. Denice

I agree Mr. President! Fox News talking heads are obsessed with you. They really need to be censored.

June 17, 2009 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  13. Fair is Fair

So why not just shut them down, Mr. Obama? After all, wouldn't that be the best way to silence your critics? Who needs opposing viewpoints? Who needs freedom of the press?

June 17, 2009 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  14. Seattle Sue

President Obama hit the nail on the head. Fox News is very one sided. I rank their commutators right up there with Limbaugh, full of hate and spin the truth.

June 17, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  15. kishen c.rao

listen, lock and key are in your hands....just do not watch....I never watched this biased news t.v channel.....it is our stupidity to watch....ok....just watch cnn, abc, nbc....etc, not this junk....

June 17, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  16. Belle1

Yes, Obama does welcome tough questions. But answering them is a different story.

However, I have a question: Why did you fire the IG President Obama? Especially after being US Senator, you co-sponsored a bill that protected IG Inspectors again "political" firings...or firing without cause.

June 17, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  17. Mike O'Brien

If it is any consolation or relief President Obama.., I do 'not' watch or listen to anyone on the FOX Network. Mike in Montana

June 17, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  18. republicans hate america

Thats right Obama stick it to them. Fix News has gotten away with murder all the while calling themselves fair and balanced. You make them look what they are petty. I just can not wait to vote for you again in 2012

June 17, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  19. DaBird

Obama's lying again. He terms it that Fox is attacking him when they are reporting the many questionable actions by Obama. I think firing Gerald Malpin, 16 czars with no oversight, reckless spending, the daily lie, is honest reporting.

June 17, 2009 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  20. Bob

What a loser. Transparent. yea, it's pretty transparent to me that he is running this country into a large hole.

June 17, 2009 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  21. Jason

Oh I am so disappointed. When the article said "Obama takes aim at Fox News", I was hoping to read that he was actually planning to drop a bunker buster on it.

June 17, 2009 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  22. phoenix86

Fox News is not hard on Obama, they are objective and critical. That is the PURPOSE of a free press. ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, the NY Times and, with the exception of Lou Dobbs, CNN are all patsies to the Obama administration.

Obama was right at the dinner when he said "all of you voted for me". The media now simply cannot admit that they made a mistake and Obama is clearly unfit for the Presidency.

June 17, 2009 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  23. Brent

Oh, and he is ok with MSNBC which has gone totally democratic. Quit worrying about FOX and do your job. Nothing you have have done has helped us here in Michigan!!

June 17, 2009 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  24. Bill Downs

Unfortunately it seems that the only time there is a balance is when the extremes are tugging equally.

June 17, 2009 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  25. Get used to it

Apparently the president is unaccustomed to criticism.

June 17, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |