June 17th, 2009

Obama takes aim at Fox News

Obama says Fox News is 'entirely devoted' to attacking his administration.
Obama says Fox News is 'entirely devoted' to attacking his administration.

(CNN) – Brushing off suggestions Tuesday the media is not critical enough of his administration, President Obama couldn't help but take aim at one cable news channel in particular.

"It's very hard for me to swallow that one," Obama told CNBC when asked whether he thinks the media is too easy on him. "First of all, I've got one television station entirely devoted to attacking my administration."

The interviewer quickly assumed Obama was referring to Fox News, a suggestion the president didn't disagree with.

"Well, that's a pretty big megaphone," he said. "And you'd be hard-pressed, if you watched the entire day, to find a positive story about me on that front."

"We welcome people who are asking us some, you know, tough questions," he continued. "And I think that I've been probably as accessible as any president in the first six months–press conferences, taking questions from reporters, being held accountable, being transparent about what it is that we're trying to do. I think that, actually, the reason that people have been generally positive about what we've tried to do is they feel as if I'm available and willing to answer questions, and we haven't been trying to hide them all. "

Obama struck a similar tone on the matter last month in his appearance before the White House Correspondents Dinner, during which he joked to the crowd, "Most of you covered me; all of you voted for me, apologies to the Fox table."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. T'SAH from Virginia

Don't let FOX put you in a BOX Mr. President Obama!!!! They are LOSERS and they KNOW IT and every night they SHOW IT!!! (Wow – and I'm a POET and don't KNOW IT!!! LOL)

June 17, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  2. woodie

I made the mistake of watching Fox News for about 30 mins back when Clinton was in office. It was obvious to me then that Fox News was a right-wing tabloid where jouralistic integrity was wholly absent.

June 17, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  3. Margie

Fox news is the only outlet that presents all the facts. The other news outlets think Obama is God. Fox does not always criticize him but they do present all sides to the issues. Without Fox many people would be hard up for accurate information.

June 17, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  4. nathan

The same could be said about this particular news outlet and one George W. Bush...the difference is that W didn't whine about it to the press.

June 17, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  5. Takeshi

Thank YOU! its about time! IN YOUR FACE FOX. YOu have no credit.

June 17, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  6. Gary

I'm glad the President put the Fox news channel in its place. That network hasn't said anything positive in support of our country or the Administration in ages. Of course, Fox news needs to get Rush Limbaugh's permission to say anything.

June 17, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  7. Soldier

You are 100% right Mr. President!! The Fox station fuels hate and use sarcasm and negative rhetoric on everything you do. I despise all of their commentaries because they are racist...hateful people.

June 17, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  8. Joe Lombaro

Translation: I can't take the heat in the kitchen.

June 17, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  9. Tom

lol ... now you know what it feels like

June 17, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  10. JANIE

I do not watch a show not even locally if it is broadcasted by FOX! based on FOX/FIX NEWS.

June 17, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  11. Wastedyrs

And three stations dedicated to doing nothing but kissing up to him. Sorry Mr. President if this isn't the same treatment you were used to as a community organizer but if you'd stop breaking the laws of the very bills you helped to write you wouldn't be so easy to attack.

June 17, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  12. Chai-wallah

So true, that's why they are called "FAUX" News!

June 17, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  13. John Long

Fox News has many sins to answer for. The worst is that in their constant attacks on Obama, rather than dig up constructive and useful critiques that could help the whole country, the majority of comments are personal and filled with empty labels like "socialist."

And it is entirely untrue that the remaineder of the media avoids criticzing Obama. He is under constant and powerful crutiny. The myth that the media is a leftist organ for Democrats needs to be put firmly to rest.

June 17, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  14. mjb

The press is supposed to be skeptical....have to disagree with his statement. The press to date has been promoting Obama and his agenda.

June 17, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  15. Rob Kole

I think this president has been on televion more than any other presidednt so far.

For transparancy.. where has the stimulus and TARP money gone?

Why won't you release your WhiteHouse visiting guest list?

Much better packaging then the previous president but not as much change in the box so far.

June 17, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  16. Vet in S.A.

And Fox was the only one who supported Bush somewhat, all the other's bashed him and Obama doesn't like one news channel, poor baby.

June 17, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  17. JFK

Good for him!

June 17, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  18. Truth Teller

I'm not surprised, Fox news is a right wing news station. Like Bill Maher said, the republican party is a club for angry white men and Jesus freaks.

June 17, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  19. LOL

Fair and balanced

O'reilly is starting to fall in love with you

and I didn't vote for you!

June 17, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  20. David in San Diego

He would be better off just to ignore Faux News. It has nothing relevant to say about him, politics, or the country. It is a cesspool that one wants to stay clear of.

June 17, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  21. jk

Someone has to point out the truth all the other networks have crawled up his butt and died. He can't stand that someone somewhere isn't taking his every word as gospel. Grow up Mr. President.

June 17, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  22. mel in Fl

Everytime I watched Fox, I have to change channels quickly, I feel like they're from a different planet, they sound more like the enemy. Very sad.

June 17, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  23. Scott

I guess we missed those "you know, tough questions"! Or were they the ones about his most enchanting moments and such...

June 17, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  24. lgccac

So Obama doesn't like the truth, huh?

June 17, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  25. David

Well, either he is a liar or completely oblivious to reality. Reporters at his news conferences aren't aloud to ask him tough questions. They aren't aloud to challenge his ideas...and all of his websitess that won't start tracking stimulus dollars until 2010...yeah, real transparent obama

June 17, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |