June 17th, 2009

Obama takes aim at Fox News

Obama says Fox News is 'entirely devoted' to attacking his administration.
Obama says Fox News is 'entirely devoted' to attacking his administration.

(CNN) – Brushing off suggestions Tuesday the media is not critical enough of his administration, President Obama couldn't help but take aim at one cable news channel in particular.

"It's very hard for me to swallow that one," Obama told CNBC when asked whether he thinks the media is too easy on him. "First of all, I've got one television station entirely devoted to attacking my administration."

The interviewer quickly assumed Obama was referring to Fox News, a suggestion the president didn't disagree with.

"Well, that's a pretty big megaphone," he said. "And you'd be hard-pressed, if you watched the entire day, to find a positive story about me on that front."

"We welcome people who are asking us some, you know, tough questions," he continued. "And I think that I've been probably as accessible as any president in the first six months–press conferences, taking questions from reporters, being held accountable, being transparent about what it is that we're trying to do. I think that, actually, the reason that people have been generally positive about what we've tried to do is they feel as if I'm available and willing to answer questions, and we haven't been trying to hide them all. "

Obama struck a similar tone on the matter last month in his appearance before the White House Correspondents Dinner, during which he joked to the crowd, "Most of you covered me; all of you voted for me, apologies to the Fox table."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Tate

What a classless coward he is, so by his own admission only one channel is critical. That about sums it up, he is a liitle cry baby. Why doesnt somebody ask him what he has done since taking over that has worked? Unemployment, housing, foreclosures, international politics, gitma, etc. have all been massive failures that had to get done now!

June 17, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  2. DaMaestro

There's a Fox News network?

June 17, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  3. David

Looks like Fox found a soft spot on the Messiah. I love it.

June 17, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  4. Travis

Since fix news isn't a real news outlet anyway, I don't see why they don't just ban them from the press core!!!

June 17, 2009 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  5. Joe

Poor baby! Someone feels neglected. Guess what Barrack, not everyone cares for your policies.

June 17, 2009 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  6. Abbi

What a whiner.....

June 17, 2009 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  7. Paul from Kissimmee

This guy is so thin skinned. Fox News at least reports the truth.

June 17, 2009 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  8. GOP4Life

If Sprint is the NOW network Faux news is the NO network

June 17, 2009 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  9. lynn in NM

BOOHOO!!! He doesn't scream about the media that got him elected. He doesn't scream about ABC, NBC and CBS, etc when they fawn all over his every movement. However, if there is one station that doesn't kowtow to him, he whines and moans. If he doesn't like the negative publicity, then he can get out of politics. Of course, this is probably his next take over – loss of freedom of speech, and the death of the FOX network.

June 17, 2009 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  10. ATS

I think you misquoted CNN. He did not say ". . . and we haven't been trying to hide them all." I think he said ". . .and we haven't been trying to hide the ball." That's a common (though wierd) saying about being straightforward, which is the point he was trying to make..

June 17, 2009 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  11. Tom

IMO, Fox News has always been leaning heavily to the right, and never met a democrat they liked.

June 17, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  12. Matt

I know thats right! Fox News by far has the most slanted (to the right) view of all news. Almost all other networks I watch and read, seem to present the facts and just that. Fox on the other hand seems to take all items personal and present completely biased opions and often makes inferences and is a sound bite station, rather than a context news station.

June 17, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  13. Mike from Shelburne, VT

Good call, seeing how its 100% true

June 17, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  14. Valerie

well Obama, since every other station devotes all of it times to defending you, it's nice to actually watch a TV station that disects your administration, because you are the worst president sine Carter....so someone needs to tell the truth. sorry it hurts

June 17, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  15. felicia

I don't think he slammed enough, you can't find a positive thing about the President on the fox channel. It clearly tells me that fox is as racist as it gets. I wish the President would let all at fox have it. They need to be brought back down to earth. Fox has gotten beside itself.

June 17, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  16. Susan

You did not elect a king but a man for president. Wake up America! Wake up people. Open your eyes. Rub the star dust out of your eyes! You voted for change and it's happening but not the way you thought!

June 17, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  17. GI Joe

I've tuned in to Fox at times just to see and hear what "the other" people are saying, and I can tell you now that Fox leaves incomplete sentences hanging, takes things out of context and twists them, and all sorts of other stuff.

I don't just take the word of CNN and MSNBC or the local news. I FACT CHECK (NO I'm not a lazy person on welfare – I'm retired and pay my own way).

FOX needs to be warned about the libel they are indulging in.

June 17, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  18. Jean

OMG! One network that doesn' kiss Obama's feet and the man is upset.

June 17, 2009 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  19. Rose

So Obama is upset with Fox News. He sure does not mind ABC because they are so biased, even when Obama makes a mistake they make excuses for him all the time. The Media as a whole has done nothing but suck up to Obama since he announced his was running for the Presidency. Media should report facts not opinions.

June 17, 2009 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  20. MJM

Keep up the good work Fox!!!! If he is complaining about you that means your doing your job!!

June 17, 2009 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  21. bendo

Faux News: fairly biased and fairly unbalanced

June 17, 2009 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  22. Dan VA

It is amazing that people put one man in office and think he has all the answers. One man can solve all the issues "if the Republicans get out of the way and let Obama do what Obama need to do", as one CSPAN caller has said. So Fox has the gonads to question a little harder and publish opinions that don't go with the flow. Foxys, don';t you get it. Now you are becoming the hindrance. Come on and get in the sheep herd. We are on our way baby.

June 17, 2009 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  23. VAisforLovers

Faux News is definitely a firm criticizer of the Obama Administration. That’s what they’re good for, so be it. They’re not as credible in the world as they once were, b/c it’s more than obvious what their agenda is.

June 17, 2009 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  24. Renato Maban

Pres. Obama has done a magnificent job so far and I agree with him.
    This fox news station is nothing but a station full of pessimist people.
    They just would not believe that a black man can do much better
    than their preferred previous very unpopular president. I am an
    Asian-American and I like the way he is running the gov't.. Because
    of Pres. Obama other nations has now change on how they view
    the United States. Thank you Pres. Obama

June 17, 2009 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  25. Hastey Dellinger

Okay by me; I only watch Fox anyway and I wouldn't change to hear anything from THAT MAN unless it is his announcement he is resigning.

June 17, 2009 09:32 am at 9:32 am |