June 17th, 2009

Obama takes aim at Fox News

Obama says Fox News is 'entirely devoted' to attacking his administration.
Obama says Fox News is 'entirely devoted' to attacking his administration.

(CNN) – Brushing off suggestions Tuesday the media is not critical enough of his administration, President Obama couldn't help but take aim at one cable news channel in particular.

"It's very hard for me to swallow that one," Obama told CNBC when asked whether he thinks the media is too easy on him. "First of all, I've got one television station entirely devoted to attacking my administration."

The interviewer quickly assumed Obama was referring to Fox News, a suggestion the president didn't disagree with.

"Well, that's a pretty big megaphone," he said. "And you'd be hard-pressed, if you watched the entire day, to find a positive story about me on that front."

"We welcome people who are asking us some, you know, tough questions," he continued. "And I think that I've been probably as accessible as any president in the first six months–press conferences, taking questions from reporters, being held accountable, being transparent about what it is that we're trying to do. I think that, actually, the reason that people have been generally positive about what we've tried to do is they feel as if I'm available and willing to answer questions, and we haven't been trying to hide them all. "

Obama struck a similar tone on the matter last month in his appearance before the White House Correspondents Dinner, during which he joked to the crowd, "Most of you covered me; all of you voted for me, apologies to the Fox table."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Neel T

yeah obama... fight the good fight...

June 17, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  2. John G

Did he pout and stamp his feet and yell "WHY DON'T THEY LIKE ME?!?!?!" too?

June 17, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  3. Illini

Oh Please! You'd have to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to see that a HUGE majority of the media wants to have Obama's baby. Please....the continued fawning has given me diabetes!

Thank God that a few in the media still know what their responsibility to the American people is!

June 17, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  4. charleysmom

Well, I guess Obama has a problem with Fox News because they are the ONLY network who tells the true facts about his administration. All the other main stream media are hiding facts and covering up things since they think he is the "ONE". Too bad more of the media can't find it in their hearts to tell it like is REALLY is. GOOOOOOOOOO Fox News, your the best!!!!!!

June 17, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  5. Larry M

uuuhhhh.... Maybe if he did something positive he could get reported that way.... Stop being a socialist. Transparent my arse. show your birth certificate... not certificate of birth. Heck my local DMV will not take the certificate of birth as a legal document, I know!

June 17, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  6. Carlos

Get used to it chump.

June 17, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  7. james

I have to agree with Obama on that one. I don't think you could find a positive story on 9/10 days about the administration on Fox.

June 17, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  8. Kevin

Whenever media bias comes up, liberals always shot "FOX FOX FOX!!"

Ok. Fox. I'll concede it's conservative.

But Fox is one of CBS, CNN, ABC, MSNBC, and NBC which is conservative. All of those stations are liberal.

BUT WHAT ABOUT FOX!?!

June 17, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  9. Jon

He feels he is being held accountable and his being transparent?! hahaha. The one thing that is transparent is that Obama is obsessed with polling and media coverage.

Of course Obama takes questions...those he preapproves. What a deceiver.

June 17, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  10. Darrell in ATL

Perfect together: FOX "news" has become as much of a joke as the GOP.

June 17, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  11. Tony, Fairfax, Virginia

Unfair and unbalanced tabloid TV is has an agenda?

June 17, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  12. NeverScared

Let's see how Faux News spins this one. Cue the phony outrage in 5, 4, 3, 2...

June 17, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  13. jIM

Shawn Hannity come to mind folks? The President is 100% right.

June 17, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  14. chuckd

President Obama is correct in saying Fox News is targeting him. I have never seen a positive story about him or his administration. However, I have seen several positive stories on the previous administration that destroyed our economy. Imagine that.

CBH

June 17, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  15. AndrewDoD

How is this "taking aim?"

The sky is blue.
    HEADLINE:"ANDREWDOD TAKES AIM AT THE SKY."

June 17, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  16. MillerJ

When even Bill Maher notes the MSM's using kid (infant) gloves when it comes to Obama, it's no surprise to hear Barry complain. "What, every one in the media isn't treating me like a god, well clearly their not fair or balanced." Get used to it buddy, as you continue down your socialist path, the press will get nothing but worse.

June 17, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  17. Dennis

Cry Baby! CNN, CNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC not only devote 100% of their time attacking President Bush, but acted as propaganda outlets for the Democrat National Committee for 8 years.

June 17, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  18. Mike

The only news origanization not worshipping at the altar of the messiah is the FOX new channel. The media is supposed to be the "watch dog" of politicans and only FOX does their job. The praise him when he makes the right decisions but report both good and bad for the viewing public to make their own decisions.

June 17, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  19. Patrick

So is he sympathetic towards Bush and every media outlet but Fox's civil war on him?

June 17, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  20. Rich

Poor baby, Can't handle any negative publicity.

June 17, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  21. pj

must be hard for him to swallow that not every news media is bowing to him and his ideals of big government. if you watch CNBC all day, you would think that God's chosen one is running our country and that he can do no wrong

June 17, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  22. Conflglvr

Well when everything you do puts the country deeper in debt and less safe from terrorists atacks, what do you expect?

June 17, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  23. jIM

Oops sorry Glenn Beck I forgot to mention you as well. Unfortunately only the O' riley show is fair and balanced.

June 17, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  24. Eva

maybe Fox tells it like it REALLY is.

June 17, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  25. Brian

One devoted to covering you tough and the rest fall over themselves trying to kiss up. Fox is doing what journalists are supposed to do.

June 17, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |