June 17th, 2009

Obama takes aim at Fox News

Obama says Fox News is 'entirely devoted' to attacking his administration.
Obama says Fox News is 'entirely devoted' to attacking his administration.

(CNN) – Brushing off suggestions Tuesday the media is not critical enough of his administration, President Obama couldn't help but take aim at one cable news channel in particular.

"It's very hard for me to swallow that one," Obama told CNBC when asked whether he thinks the media is too easy on him. "First of all, I've got one television station entirely devoted to attacking my administration."

The interviewer quickly assumed Obama was referring to Fox News, a suggestion the president didn't disagree with.

"Well, that's a pretty big megaphone," he said. "And you'd be hard-pressed, if you watched the entire day, to find a positive story about me on that front."

"We welcome people who are asking us some, you know, tough questions," he continued. "And I think that I've been probably as accessible as any president in the first six months–press conferences, taking questions from reporters, being held accountable, being transparent about what it is that we're trying to do. I think that, actually, the reason that people have been generally positive about what we've tried to do is they feel as if I'm available and willing to answer questions, and we haven't been trying to hide them all. "

Obama struck a similar tone on the matter last month in his appearance before the White House Correspondents Dinner, during which he joked to the crowd, "Most of you covered me; all of you voted for me, apologies to the Fox table."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Robert (Plano, TX)

I try to be aware of the coverage of Fox News relative to the rest of the media and I have to admit. Fox News is feeding the ignorant culture war and building some false division amongst Americans. Are we Americans, do we want our country to succeed and help our president/congress address the ills of our society? Let's start with common ground and work to build instead of destroy. I am sorry but Bush II was a disaster. He was incompetent.

June 17, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  2. dele

My President, please just ignore them and focus on what we elect you to do. That, I think is what matters. Criticism or no criticism, try as much as you can to do most (if not all) that you plan to do. (Note I did not use the word 'promised', but planned).

June 17, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  3. lloyd

pooooooor OB

June 17, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  4. Mike

Must mean FOX is doing something right... The media isn't supposed to be liked, it is not supposed to be loved. It is there to ask questions, show all points of view and report back to the public. If all of the other stations are simply throwing high-fives to the President, then FOX deserves many accolades and our thanks. We can't all kiss his butt because he is the President.

And, I've watched FOX, if he thinks they are "always attacking him" he needs thicker skin.

June 17, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  5. Eileen

No taxpayer funds for ACORN fraud.

June 17, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  6. Julia Byrd- Hayden Idaho

Joseph Gobbles, propaganda minstery for Hitler, mirror image is Bill OReilly, propaganda minister for extreme right wing nuts, like Von Brunn.

June 17, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  7. kshaw

Well everyone knows this is true. Fox news is the biggest enablers of hate levied against the President followed by a few shows on CNN. Especially that one CNN POTUS Obama hater, acting like he is being the voice of the INDEPENDENT voter. FAIL, just like the ratings, at least Fox is upfront with their hate..

June 17, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  8. tedious898

Mr. President,

You keep fighting the good fight! We Americans appreciate it. As for the Taliban groups (i.e. GOP and FAUX'd News).....well you can't please everybody.

Besides they want you to fail so what else should we expect? Now that's patriotism ...watch Bush nearly blow this country to smitherines but stand against everything we do to repair the damage –

SMART GROUP those GOPer's......1st and 2nd grade thinking is more like it

June 17, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  9. Ryan, CT

Good for you Obama. The only thing Fox News wants to do is destroy an administration that actually is making positive strides.

Fox News is nothing but Republican propaganda!!

My stomach turns when I pass through that channel.

June 17, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  10. VernisRobertson

The only thing that I can think of about Fox news is out right racism . They never ever talked about a sitting Presiden like this one. They are also exciting hate , and racism .Which this country do not need right now.

June 17, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  11. Brian

Fox News is anti-American.

If you don't support our President, then you are the enemy. :(

June 17, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  12. yanksgirl

Fox "News" is propaganda..not news. Bill O, Sean H, Glenn B are the mouthpieces of fear and hate, not news. Shameful....

June 17, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  13. Sharon from Tampa

LOL...He's exactly correct. Even when NORMAL people know he's done something postive, what does Faux News do, turn it into negative. I loved last night when dbag beck was talking about President Obama giving posts to his friends. Even had a blackboard...Where was his blackboard when bush was giving his friends posts and positions left and right?

June 17, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  14. Keyona

Way to tell them Mr. PRESIDENT!

June 17, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  15. The lonely Libertarian of Liverpool NY

Well the honeymoon is over, this President now owns this nation's challanges. Good luck.

June 17, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  16. Patriot1028

CNN is the perfect example of the drool... "First of all, I've got one television station entirely devoted to attacking my administration." – And how again is this a "Slam"? Perhaps because CNN is in the bag for Obama and trailing behind FOX in the ratings?

June 17, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  17. Ken323

Mr President:

Please stop censoring the media.

June 17, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  18. Proud American

I wouldn't call what Fox deliver news...

June 17, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  19. Observer

I can't believe others think the way I do. I'm a republican but if I want to have a civil discussion with someone based on what I heard on Fox I end up in arguments. My ignorance thinking Fox was "Fair & Balanced” and seeing how one sided and manipulative they are was the MOST embarrassing discovery I have made in recent months.
    Fox is TOAST!

June 17, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  20. kpawlak

Yes. FOX News is the ONLY media that will stand up and ask the questions and be critical. What more can Obama ask for? He has most major print and networks lined up and pining for him. He is not a victim.

June 17, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  21. Florida Chatman

I agree with the President. Every time I look at Fox News they nothing positive to say. Most of my co-workers have change chennel and watch CNN. I love the way they report the news. Fox need to stop being so negative. They turn me off.

June 17, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  22. Julia Byrd- Hayden Idaho

Correct the spelling to "Goebbels"

June 17, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  23. Marc in Virginia

What! On TV again! This guy sure loves the camera. Nice to see he took a break from hanging with Lebron James yesterday to fill us in on his problems with Fox news. Please get back to work, Barack.

June 17, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  24. Steve

What a cheese ball. Poor baby, one news channel who doesn't actually drink the kool aide..... as compared to 5 that Bush had to deal with butchering everything he tried to do against a democrat congress invested in defeat.

Liberals really have no accurate grasp on reality!

June 17, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  25. AXH

The truth hurts doesn't it; live with it; every other president has been through the same thing!

June 17, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |