June 19th, 2009

Health debate: A little clarity, please

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – There's a lot of talking going on about health care reform and urgent warnings of what will happen if it doesn't pass. But for all the talk, there's very little clarity for the public about what kind of reform has a serious chance of passing and how lawmakers intend to pay for it.

The reason: Legitimate disagreement about how the country should overhaul the health care system. And it's not just between Democrats and Republicans. It's within the parties as well.

Vigorous debate is inevitable and necessary. After all, health care reform would be the biggest and most complex undertaking that lawmakers have dealt with in decades, and it would have consequences for every American.

But President Obama has set a tight deadline. He wants both the House and Senate to pass their health reform bills by Aug. 1.

Full story

Filed under: CNNMoney.com • Health care
  1. kishen c.rao

what clarity??? go read the enactment that is going to be put forth and gotten postulated....it is a health care bill....do not procrastinate....pass it....american people deserve more than any thing else....god bless!!!

June 19, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  2. Olivia Gates

Four years ago, I had two part-time jobs,neither of which provided healthcare when unfortunately I suffered a stroke that catapulted me into medicare,which I didn't want and found myself dependent on life-saving drugs, which I couldn't afford so please, don't tell me that our great country doesn't need heathcare reform because in the end we all end up paying for the uninsured. If our tax dollars can pay for health insurance for our elected officials and politicians, then why can't the American taxpayers enjoy the same healthcare benefits??? By the way....under medicare rules, I was forced to spend down the small 401k I had managed to squirrel away so I am left with even less than what I had before my illness. Is it too much to ask our government for common sense? Its enough to give a person a stroke!

June 19, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  3. Nevada dude

Is there anything wrong with providing free basic care for everyone, then whoever wants to buy more insurance can do so??

that way, everyone is covered, and the insurance companies are free to compete for additional coverage customers.

June 19, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  4. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

"...health care reform would be the biggest and most complex undertaking that lawmakers have dealt with in decades..."

The US government can't even do simple stuff without screwing it up! And we're going to trust them to do "the most complex undertaking in decades?" This is disaster in the making...

June 19, 2009 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  5. JS007

The real solution is kicking private insurance companies out of the health system and setting up a single-payer system funded by the government, along with a Health Bill of Rights that enshrines quality care as a human right on which the governent cannot skimp.

Having dozens of private plans out there simply creates more paperwork and headaches for patients and doctors. The profit motive of private providers encourages higher prices and denial of coverage, bankrupting the country and leaving sick people who need care most out in the cold. Every sane country in the world has a single-payer system of some kind and actually pays much less per person than the US does (even including the higher taxes that pay for health care).

I guess Obama doesn't think Americans are smart enough to figure this out, so he has to take baby steps with this silly patchwork plan. So much for bold change.

As for the cost, the $1 Trillion is only $100B per year – the Iraq war is still costing more than that.

June 19, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  6. TCM

There's nothing that urgent about the healthcare system that it must be "reformed," by August. Obama just wants money earmarked for cronies through the end of his administration and quickly. He's aware that his ship is sinking and lib dems in congress' ship is sinking faster since their term is up next fall. It's all about control with OBama, and any control in his hands has spelled disaster for free America.

June 19, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  7. Granny6

Could we PLEASE take our time and do this RIGHT the first time???

June 19, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  8. Bridget

Health Insurance Industry need to eliminate pre-existing conditions;thus, it will cut costs for EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

June 19, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  9. Zero.

Iran? So now you help Israel, and forget all shis crap with Palistinians.

If Iran breaks out into Lebenon. America is History. Your saturated with their problems. All their problems. Both sides,.
    But you electected a Muslim....

June 19, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  10. Pat, CA

------–
    AMEN! And it's NOT just about what Barry wants!!!!!!!!!!

June 19, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  11. David

Once we remove the republican NO from the debate, then we will are able to see a healthy and necessary conversation about how best to reach the goal of Healthcare Reform with a Public Option as a primary component.

Everyone agrees on this point, Senators, Governors, Congressmen, the AMA, Hospitals and over 75% of the American People.........all except the republican minority politicians, who are still stuck trying to defend the shameful actions of insurance companies, which will help then lose their seats in the next election.

June 19, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  12. Bridget

Universal Health Care is a romantic view; furthermore its not the best choice! I want freedom of choice for my family doctor. Think about the VA Health Care. Its a broken system sponsored by our government!

CNN needs to stop feeding us with the romantic views of a Universal Health Care!!!! Why does CNN stop reporting about the victims of the VA Universal Health Care??? CNN stop your sensorship of my posts because I believe that your romantic view of Universal Health Care is not serving the average ordinary American!

June 19, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  13. Zero.

Clarity? Does CNN? Does America understand this word?

You are just another Muslim Super-Power. You are not the USA.

You actually thought you could do anything you wanted, and the World would understand. Only your world of Cowboys and Indians could be so so stupid in a World of today....
    You watch too many Movies CNN..

June 19, 2009 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  14. IS IT 2012 YET ??

Obama has a new "can't wait" issue every day. What's on tap for tomorrow ? It's making the country dizzy, just trying to watch this guy. Let him tilt at windmills by himself, until his 4 years is up.

June 19, 2009 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  15. pt

How many people are without health insurance of all Americans (no others included)? How many of those would qualify for the various medical benifits presently available regardless of their active participation in those programs? How many are left? Please note those who fail to participate in the present medical benifit programs will probably do so in similar programs in the future.

June 19, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  16. very little clarity for the public

this is not new, I have felt after Clinton (Clinton was clear I thought), every pres. is going out of their way to be vague

June 19, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  17. Kat

I currently have a good job. Part of my compensation is my health care benefits. I EARN my health care benefits by completing the duties I agreed to do for the company that employs me. I also have taxes takend out of my pay check to pay for health care for those that either don't work or do not work for a company that provides benefits. I do not want to loose my health care benefits, nor do I want to pay for anyone elses health care, as I don't expect anyone to pay for mine. Someone please explain to me, WHY SHOULD I PAY FOR ANYONE ELSES HEALTH CARE IF THEY ARE NOT CONTRIBUTING LIKE I AM?

June 20, 2009 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  18. Tatianna

Obama and dems claim it will be more cost-effective and efficient. The man (Obama) whos had the least experience at running anything is going unleash the most massive federal leviathan in history. They have no idea how big a backlash can erupt from this nation when its citizens are pushed too far by too many freedoms being taken away. Team Obama and dems in DC is heading towards a harsh lesson: THEY ARE THE SERVANTS OF THE PEOPLE, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND

June 20, 2009 03:40 am at 3:40 am |