June 19th, 2009

MoveOn.org targets Democratic senator

(CNN) - MoveOn.org is targeting a Democratic senator Friday over her apparent opposition to the health care proposal President Obama has proposed.

In a radio ad airing in the New Orleans market, the liberal political action committee criticizes Louisiana Sen. Mary Landrieu for expressing opposition to legislation that would provide Americans with a choice of public health care.

"Why is Mary Landrieu opposing the president's plan to provide health care choices for all Americans, including the option to join a high quality public health insurance plan?" the ad's narrator says, noting the senator has received "$1.6 million in campaign contributions from the health care industry - the same industry that's now spending millions to stop the president's plan."

After initially signaling she would be in favor of a public option last year, Landrieu told reporters last week she was against any health care reform package that offered such a policy.

"I'm not open to a public option," she said. "However, I will remain open to a compromise, a full compromise. [A] public option is not something that I support. I don't think it's the right way to go."

But Landrieu, whose vote could be decisive in blocking a potential Republican filibuster against a health care bill, said she may still vote for a package that includes a public option.

"It would be unlikely, but I'm not saying no," she told reporters.

The radio spot is set to air through Wednesday.

Filed under: Mary Landrieu • MoveOn
  1. bk

Here is what worries me. If you don't agree with Obama they send the thugs after you. The mafia is running our government. You go along or you pay dearly for it.

June 19, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  2. Edie on the Left Coast

I'm pretty darn liberal by anyone's standards, and I have to say that, for me, MoveOn.org is to liberals what PETA is to animal lovers (I'm also one of those). Way, way out there. I had to ask them to take me off their mailing list after they ran the ads against General Petraeus. This latest action of theirs doesn't surprise me in the least. I think that Senator Landrieu's objections at this point in the planning process are healthy and start the discussion that will hopefully lead to consensus and well-balanced healthcare reform.

June 19, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  3. Bob

You Democrats are REALLY messed up. :) Wow.

So much for tolerance. So much for "we want to hear what you think." So much for "let's get different opinions". What a bunch of bullies.

Right now I'm really happy to see the Democrat party self-destruct in slow motion. I'm already looking forward to mid-term elections. At that point the level of incompetence and lack of capability will be very clear for all to see. In fact, it's pretty clear right now.

The honeymoon period is about over.

June 19, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  4. skyhawkdriver

I have heard that moveon.org has a new uniform for all the blind sheep that follow it..black pants and shirt..hat with skull and cross bones..black jack boots..red armband with swastika..funny..sorta sounds like the waffen ss uniform doesn't it??..if you march lock step with george soros than anybody who disagrees with you will suffer..republican or democrat..soros is a socialist..just look where he spends his money..hopefully someday the far right and far left will start their own party and hopefully cease to exist..that way the rest of us can get on with it

June 19, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  5. Bob

@ Kevin, who said "Yes, an inclusive, open minded, educated philosophy is really low compared to a terrified, hypocritical, UN educated philosophy"

You're not SERIOUSLY suggesting that Democrats are any more inclusive and open-minded than Republicans, are you? I mean, really? Have you bothered to even READ comments from Dems on these boards??

BOTH parties have their share of idiots, and hypocrites, and buffoons. In my opinion, refusal to see that suggests that a person is indeed in one (or more) of those very groups.

By the way, I'm a Republican and I'm anything but terrified...I'm a believer in the system and even if Obama breaks it badly, it will be fixable (albeit over a lengthy amount of time). However, he and others ARE indeed doing a nice job of trying to frighten people. Or are you ALSO one of those people who only sees things they want to see? :)

June 19, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  6. Bob

@ Emma, who said: "Sack her! ...Send the rich packing if they do not do as the electorate wish. I am sure she was for everything when she was a candidate and now that she has a job with superb medical insurance she has become a SNOB!"

Emma, the reason she isn't supportive of the plan is because she is SMART and she knows it is a bad idea. I know it can a difficult concept for some of you, but TRY to separate a worthy idea (affordable health care) from flawed execution (Obama's proposal). Or did it not occur to you that she wants affordable health care but this is NOT the answer???

Landrieu is smart. I wish there were more people like her writing comments on these boards.

"The problem with the world today is that there are too many stupid people in it and not enough things to eat them". –Anonymous

June 19, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  7. Rod

We the American people were promised national health care and the exact same health care as the senators receive. We deserve and EXPECT nothing less. Our lives and the lives of our children are every bit as important as the life of any senator.

June 19, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  8. Flagship, NC

She SOLD OUT.
    They need to vote her out of office!

June 19, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  9. DEC

Read the polls. Most Americans DO NOT want a government option, especially when it will cost over $1 TRILLION!! And about 1/4 of those not insured come from households making over $70,000/year–they just chose not to have insurance. And another 1/3 of the 47 million uninsured are illegal aliens. Do you really think they will buy government sponsored insurance where they have to have a social security number? Get real people.

June 19, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  10. Joseph

Another example of vote for sale. We have a country run by
    big business. If the last 10 years haven't shown that corporate
    greed will drive this country into ruin, nothing else will. If you have
    children don't prey for your country. Go and Vote for candidates who
    will represent everyday people and not GM. Bank of America, AIG,
    Health South, Seton Hospitals. Wake up before it too late !!!!!!!!!!!

June 19, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  11. Ain't life strange?

@Beef Masterx

"Democrats are the lowest form of life on the planet."

That's it? Did you dig real deep into your intelect to come up with that, or did you read it some where? You really have a lot to offer to this discussion. And what's with that monica... Beef Master X? Pretty much sums up your maturity level. Grow up dude... this isn't high school.

June 19, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  12. Ain't life strange?

@Amy

I can understand your concern about health care for the elderly. I'm sailing on the same ship you are. Fortunately I have a private health plan that takes care of my needs so I've opted out of Medicare. However, health care shouldn't be about entitlement, being a legal citizen or not. It's about compassion for people... real people who are sick and need care. Health care reform is not intended to destroy your level of health care. In fact it very well may improve it. But, remember this; as you sit and deny others health insurance today, tomorrow someone will come along and try to deny you health care because of your age.

June 19, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  13. william gair

Get rid of her!

June 19, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  14. Luigi

Healthcare is screwed up for people who have insurance and people who don't. It needs to be reformed for the interests of the people not the HMOs or other corporate interests. We deserve good health insurance and the only real solution proposed so far is the Public Health Option. It may be expensive but I am sure it will save us lots of money in the long run since right now our current system is crippling everyone and the economy. We need competition and without a Public plan,the HMOs will not change and will continue to look at us as commodities rather than humans. Lets work hard to figure out what's best cause healthcare reform is a must and it has to happen now.

June 19, 2009 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  15. Dan, TX

Move on needs to be realistic. With all the republicans that need to be attacked they are going after a dem?

June 19, 2009 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  16. Alfred E. Neumann

MoveOn – Barack Obama: everything promised, nothing delivered!

If this country had want health care regorm it should have elected Hillary Clinton.

Liberals in this country are a waste of one's time! Pathetic!

June 19, 2009 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  17. The Party of NO is only “pro-life” to save a zygote now, so it can then kill the “babies” 18 years later as soldiers in an elective religious war.

There are actually people on this board that want poor people to die. Infants born to poor parents are now expendable, just throw them out with the trash? You wash dishes for 40 hours a week but your employer does not provide health care and you are somehow considered to be a dope smoking liberal with his/hand out?

All of you arrogant self-righteous, holier than thou, "citizens" who have insurance now but will not when your laid off, may change your minds since death will be knocking at YOUR door.

For the record, I am white and make north of 65K and willing to do my share to see that all Americans have affordable health care.

This board makes me very sad for the condition of my country, that once cared for the less fortunate, but now they are just seen as a "drag on the economy".

It is indeed a sad day in America.

June 19, 2009 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  18. Marty in Ca.

How can anyone take 1.6 million dollars in campaign contributions and not owe a debt to be paid back. This is an example of corruption.
    If the health care people have $1.6 million to get their candidate elected, then I think they are making to much profit at the expence of the public.

June 19, 2009 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  19. joe m

'high quality government healthcare'.... i suppose much like medicare, medicaid, and that recieved by our vets. reality check!

June 19, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  20. RR

how many of these moveon people live in Louisiana?

June 19, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  21. Steve (the real one)

To all who claims she is a traitor,

Do you really want a lock step, robotic leader? Why cannot somebody speak and think for themselves (both Dems and repubs)? I thought she represented the people of LA but I'am seeing whining from TX (one who thinks the Senator is the Governor), NC, WI, and CA. You can't vote for her (unless you are an ACORN member!). This is for the people of LA to decide!, not TX, WI, or NC!

June 19, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  22. Matt

MoveOn.org is nothing but a bunch of left wing facist thugs and George Soros should be banned from this country and influencing our politics. By what right does MoveOn have that says what they think is what we all should think. And if you attempt to think for yourself and not follow what MoveOn thinks then they attack and smear. When did all liberals become such narrow minded thugs?

June 19, 2009 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  23. Moe NY

Health care...NOW...for ALL AMERICANS...it is the right thing to do!

June 19, 2009 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  24. Claudia in Houson

This woman should have been fired long time ago, especially after Katrina, she was totally useless then and still is.

June 19, 2009 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  25. annie against biased news

How about all the campaign funds obama got from soros and out of the country muslims. How about moveon print out a copy of this taxpayer ripoff so we can all read it!! Maybe then some might think they are really into news not just kissing the obama. Get a life moveon – there are hardly any good democrats left -don't slaughter the few good ones that are left.

June 19, 2009 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |