June 19th, 2009

Obama wants health care package for Father's Day

President Obama says he wants ‘a health care bill’ for Father’s Day.
President Obama says he wants ‘a health care bill’ for Father’s Day.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – It's unlikely President Obama will get his Father's Day present wish by Sunday – but that didn't stop him from asking.

The president hosted his yearly Fatherhood event Friday at the White House followed by a backyard barbecue on the South Lawn of the White House.

During the barbecue portion of Friday's events, Obama was asked what he wanted for Father's Day. His response? "A health care bill."

President Obama then greeted a group of high school students, donned a white chef's apron with the presidential seal and assisted celebrity Chef Bobby Flay in grilling the food that would be served.

At Friday's events, President Obama discussed the impact of running for office on his family and said that he may not have run had his two daughters not been so young.

"It was still a very difficult decision, frankly I don't think we would have made the same decision if our kids were a little older," he said. He said that he and his wife, first lady Michelle Obama, decided that because their children were still young they could still thrive during their father's absence.

High school student Larry Holmes asked President Obama what he enjoyed more: "Traveling from state to state, country to country, being the president, which one is funner: being a father or being a president?"

"Nothing is more fun than being father, now my kids aren't teenagers yet, so I don't know whether that will maintain itself," Obama told the young man.

"...Probably the most fun that I have had since I have been president was actually at a parent/teacher conference where the teachers were bragging on my children. I just sat there and I just basked in the glory."

Also in attendance were several athletes and celebrities including NBA stars Dwayne Wade and Etan Thomas, former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cower, professional skate boarder Tony Hawk, and Darryl McDaniels, the "DMC" of Run DMC.

President Obama has held events around Father's Day since his days as an Illinois state senator - delivering a message on fathers last year that drew criticism from Jesse Jackson.

Filed under: Health care • President Obama
  1. Harley

He says he doesn't want to run car companies but he seams to want to run everything the government is getting bigger and bigger !!!! He is a SOCIALIST

June 19, 2009 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  2. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Have you earned a solid HC plan? Can we do it by August? And how will we pay for it without serious risk of exacerbating inflation and devaluation of the dollar? Why not pass a few small changes now and revisit the issue in the next three to six months.

June 19, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  3. Willy Brown

What Barry wants is something I don't. More Taxes.

June 19, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  4. Mac

Sorry my southern neighbours, I enjoy free health care here in Calgary, Canada. :P

June 19, 2009 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  5. Jeremiah

I want a job for fathers day, but you and your worthless predecessor screwed that up.

June 19, 2009 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  6. dorothy

He certainly thinks he can get what he wants, when he wants.

Scary!!!!!!!!!

June 19, 2009 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  7. Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day President Obama!
    Thank you for being such a great role model for daddy's and daddy's to be. Please keep reminding fathers of their responsibilities. If the shoe fits....

June 19, 2009 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  8. bozo obama

if you want your type of health care go to Sweden.

June 19, 2009 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  9. Reatte Beaumont, Texas

I want a million dollars and that ain't going to happen and I hope that this health care bill doesn't either. I like my health care and want to keep it but if the demos and the great one has their way I won't have it any longer

this group of crazy people are pure scary and it's worse now than with bush and his bunch

GOD HELP US ALL
    Glad I didn't vote for the change soon their won't even be a penny left

June 19, 2009 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  10. Joseph Kup

Thank you President Barack Obama. You make fathers day special when you talk about 'basking" in your childrens progress in school when you listen to their teacher. Its shows you are man who cares deeply about family values. May the Lord protect you for many years to come so that we may enjoy your foresight, wisdom and you obvious love for the things that matter most to children and families around the globe.

Joseph
    Papua New Guinea

June 19, 2009 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  11. Texas Teacher

I believe that Obama will have to perform a miracle to get a health care package that can get past the AMA, Medical Insurance Companies, and Pharmacuetical Companies.... NOT Congress.... but the Lobbiest of these BIG THREE!

I'm watching Bill Maher right now discussing this issue with his panel! Their ideas mirror my own! Are commedians the only people BESIDES me who can see the writing on the all? I am just so disgusted with the propaganda we are being fed by not only the GOP, but the News Media as well! When will they let us know that the majority of people in all surveys FAVOR Universal Health Care?

Pffft..... I'm just sayin'.... as I usually do on this subject everytime I am given the chance in this forum!

June 19, 2009 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  12. J.P.

You know what I want for Father's Day?

To know my kid and grandkids won't have to work for pennies on the dollar YEARS from now, long after I'm dead, to pay government goodies given to deadbeats TODAY.

2010 can't come fast enough.
    Neither can 2012.

June 19, 2009 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  13. Brandon

Just to clarify for all the Republicans who are about to jump down his throat – he was joking.

June 19, 2009 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  14. Bill

He's teaching people to lead by example and be accountable.There has not been a single person that has done this as good as Barack Obama and the reason is ,he truly is not doing anything he does day to day for himself.

June 19, 2009 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  15. Moe NY

If I could President Obama I would grant you the gift of a health care package for Father's Day...you and the 48 – 50 million Americans without health care insurance. Please do not give up the fight for health care for ALL AMERICANS...it is the right thing to do! Wishing you a Happy Father's Day!

June 20, 2009 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  16. Flash in the Pan

Good God!!! Please make it stop! Seriously, who cares? What drivel...

June 20, 2009 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  17. Mary the Democrat

Millions of Americans would like a home and job for fathers day......

That should be our primary focus......

We need food and shelter first, so please Mr. President re focus on what's really important to Americans and put the partisan politics aside for now.

June 20, 2009 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  18. Andrew

Awww....isn't the cute? Obama wants something political for Father's Day. I hope his daughters get him the healthcare package he wants...

The Obama loving media is relentless.

June 20, 2009 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  19. Night Dragen

Man why is this really news. Most people only care about when they will get their jobs back, when will the economy stop being stagnant and grow. Give the AMERICAN PEOPLE what you promised.... JOBS, A better ECONOMY. and Quit spending money. If a person is in debt and spends more the end result is GM, it is called Bankrupcy. Goverment is no different than a person. If CHINA pulls out this country sinks. Quit spending money on useless things and give Americans what you promised.

June 20, 2009 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  20. senior

Who cares. This is a snake oil salesman. Wake up, America.

June 20, 2009 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  21. Grrr-awful-o

For Father's Day, just this once, I'd like for people (they are adults, mind you) to pay their own way instead of me having to pay for them.

June 20, 2009 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  22. renea

Thanks President Obama for your continuios effort on healthcare even though the republicans really dont want it to happen they will use anything to keep this from happening. Some things you just cant put a price tag on when it comes to a persons health what difference does it make what the cost is. I donot care about my tax dollars going towards this if its going to help somebody else well-being.

June 20, 2009 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  23. skyhawkdriver

I appreciate the presidents comments about fathers day and agree with him on a fathers responsibility..I must ask though..where was the first lady on mothers day??..certainly a mother shares the responsibilities of raising a family??..anyways..happy fathers day to all the dads out there..hopefully your weather is better than it is here in southern new england..the proud father of three..

June 20, 2009 07:12 am at 7:12 am |