June 19th, 2009

Obama wants health care package for Father's Day

President Obama says he wants ‘a health care bill’ for Father’s Day.
President Obama says he wants ‘a health care bill’ for Father’s Day.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – It's unlikely President Obama will get his Father's Day present wish by Sunday – but that didn't stop him from asking.

The president hosted his yearly Fatherhood event Friday at the White House followed by a backyard barbecue on the South Lawn of the White House.

During the barbecue portion of Friday's events, Obama was asked what he wanted for Father's Day. His response? "A health care bill."

President Obama then greeted a group of high school students, donned a white chef's apron with the presidential seal and assisted celebrity Chef Bobby Flay in grilling the food that would be served.

At Friday's events, President Obama discussed the impact of running for office on his family and said that he may not have run had his two daughters not been so young.

"It was still a very difficult decision, frankly I don't think we would have made the same decision if our kids were a little older," he said. He said that he and his wife, first lady Michelle Obama, decided that because their children were still young they could still thrive during their father's absence.

High school student Larry Holmes asked President Obama what he enjoyed more: "Traveling from state to state, country to country, being the president, which one is funner: being a father or being a president?"

"Nothing is more fun than being father, now my kids aren't teenagers yet, so I don't know whether that will maintain itself," Obama told the young man.

"...Probably the most fun that I have had since I have been president was actually at a parent/teacher conference where the teachers were bragging on my children. I just sat there and I just basked in the glory."

Also in attendance were several athletes and celebrities including NBA stars Dwayne Wade and Etan Thomas, former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cower, professional skate boarder Tony Hawk, and Darryl McDaniels, the "DMC" of Run DMC.

President Obama has held events around Father's Day since his days as an Illinois state senator - delivering a message on fathers last year that drew criticism from Jesse Jackson.

Filed under: Health care • President Obama
  1. Paul H

He makes it sound like the nation as a whole is bankrupt because of health care.
    Rather than addressing the high cost of health care first along with high insurance premiums, and trying to pull key figures together from each area, and discussing ways of lowering these cost first. Obama wants to just start from where we are right now, and let the government, and our taxes pay for everyone's health care.
    The guy does everything without a thought out plan.

June 19, 2009 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  2. Lauren

Maybe the republicans can get to work and get health care for all Americans, instead of trying to get involved in Iran's affairs.

June 19, 2009 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  3. R Wolf

Me, too. So, all you narrowminded, ignorant, selfish and fear laden hippocrits, just get behind President Obama' plan for the greater good
    of the Country and quit your ridiculous whinning.

June 19, 2009 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  4. lescroc

He wants to be main daddy in the tree.

June 19, 2009 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  5. nota dem

aint gona happen for ya, Obama, you need to meet people instead of being the TV personality . I dont trust you, because you havent given me any reason to trust you.

June 19, 2009 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  6. TCM

I'm sure the fathers of this nation want Obama out of the White House......

June 19, 2009 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  7. nota dem

I'm glad my father had more integrity than you, because he could tell the truth, not like you who lies, hires crooks and disguises all his dealings,

June 19, 2009 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  8. Carl D Bissette

Hello Jack, I am a real fan of yours. Rarely, if ever , do I write in to news people, but this health care debate is so revealing about what people really care about. The reason there is so much reluctance to stand up and fight politically for an issue such as this is because the people who really need it has no political voice. It is time for our politicos to get down in the trenches and discover some of the real issues of health care. My story is too long for this space. Perhaps OBama would like my email address! Would love to speak my voice!!!

June 19, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  9. Dre in NY

Well I doubt his kids can give him that.

I want a job, can you do that for me Bammy?

June 19, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  10. Zero.

The Preisident Jokes. I am Barack Obama: Ha Ha Ha.
    "I am not your President" Ha ha Ha....

June 19, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  11. SandyS

Like or dislike him as president, that is a matter of politics... and stubbornness. But as a family man, there should be no discussion, he is a great example for all men. The respectful and loving way he refers to/about his wife and daughters is admirable and says a lot about his values.

June 19, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  12. Me

That's nice Mr. President. I want a job for Father's day.

June 19, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  13. Zero.

Presidents jokes. "and CNN. Whats his name? Mr Caverty. He'd so full of holes. Too many Blitz from Blitzer?

June 19, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  14. Pat, CA

Congress overwhelmingly approves Iran resolutions.

Good for Congress.

Meanwhile, Obama the Coward prefers to focus on Father's Day!!!!!!!!!!

June 19, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  15. E.C.Coleman

Doubt very seriously, obama, if that request will come to fruition.

June 19, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  16. hahahaha

Obama you wont get your fathers day gift as america doesnt want socialism

June 19, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  17. E.C.Coleman

More importantly, why doesn't CNN have a topic regarding IRAN on the Ticker? Certainly much more timely than obama.

Guess CNN hasn't forgotten that obama and his liberal cronies blamed President Bush and shamelessly crucified him for the way the world thought about America?????

After reading about the chants of "Death to America"....nothing has changed................RIGHT, CNN?

How'bout an apology, obama, from you and your Chicago Gang to President Bush? Makes no difference WHO the president happens to be..............either way.

June 19, 2009 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  18. Lynn

Sweet man. He already has the endearing love of his beautiful wife and daughters and that is more than most.

Happy Father's Day Mr. President!!!

June 19, 2009 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  19. RobK

Obama will get a health care bill, just not the one he wants. For those of you touting Canadian and European health care, their drugs and surgical techniques were bought and paid for by American taxpayers. If the government takes over health care, the pace of technological advancements and new drugs will slow way down. Americans pay higher costs to subsidize governments who have coerced the drug companies to give them medications at below cost.

June 19, 2009 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  20. The Bu

Something needs to be done with healthcare. I can see it now, healthcare reform doesn't get passed and next year everyone is going to be complaining that healthcare costs are eating them alive. People all already going into forclosure and bankruptcy due to medical bills. We, as a nation, can sometimes be so fickle!!!

June 19, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  21. Sidney Jacobs

How about a boot for Father's Day.
    Let's give this fool the boot.

June 19, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  22. barbecue on the South Lawn

good man pres., keep up the pressure on congress to get the health care done

the health care is a mess

June 19, 2009 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  23. Legna

Would be nice if he wanted jobs for fathers day...This would help folks pay for their medical insurance, or would give them insurance through the folks providing jobs.

June 19, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  24. phoenix86

What I want for Fathers Day is for Obama not to get his wish. I don't want to be bankrupt by next Fathers Day, which is what Obama is proposing with his Single Payer plan.

June 19, 2009 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  25. Anonymous

No one cares what he wants for father's day. This father wants him to start doing his job rather than being a TV host.

June 19, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |