June 19th, 2009

Sotomayor quits all-women’s club

Sonia Sotomayor has withdrew from the Belizean Grove women's club.
Sonia Sotomayor has withdrew from the Belizean Grove women's club.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — U.S. Supreme Court justice nominee Sonia Sotomayor has quit her membership in a women’s club.

The 54-year-old Latina jurist announced her decision to withdraw from the Belizean Grove, effective Friday, in a letter to Sen. Patrick J. Leahy, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Sen. Jeff Sessions, the committee’s ranking member.

“I believe that the Belizean Grove does not practice invidious discrimination and my membership did not violate the Judicial Code of Ethics, but I do not want questions about this to distract anyone from my qualifications and record,” she wrote.

Filed under: Sonia Sotomayor • Supreme Court
  1. Alfred E. Neumann

A 'just for show' move that is of little consequence.

She will likely replace Clarence Thomas as the least qualified member of the Supreme Court.

June 19, 2009 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  2. Ted

Glad to hear it! This was one big reason why I was skeptical of her.

June 19, 2009 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  3. Lauren

Wow! the republicans just got on T.V. and claimed they supported the Iranian people in their fight for individual freedom, civil rights, etc, etc,, but here we go again, we as Americans are not even free to be members of clubs we wish to join.

This is truly amazing that she does not even have the freedom to belong to a club without being criticized by the republicans. I guess what the republicans are saying is they believe in freedom and liberty for some, but not all. They still want to be able to regulate and tell people what clubs they can and can not be a part of.

Do they realize they may never win back the hispanic vote?

June 19, 2009 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  4. Independent

actually it does violate judicial code, and that's why you quit.

June 19, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  5. jenn

Next thing you know, the GOP will ask her to renounce the Girl Scouts.

They're such a bunch of losers.

June 19, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  6. Scott

If there is nothing to be ashamed of in regards to being a member of this group, then why withdraw membership? Obviously, there is some sort of negative light to be shed in her affiliation with this group. Membership to any exclusive club, particularly identifying with any one racial or gender demographic cannot possibly connote impatiality. Probably a smart move on her part, but is it going to be enough?

June 19, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  7. S Callahan

I am sorry you had to do that Sonia Sotomayor....but facts are it's still very much a man's world and equality is still an illusion with woman striving to make it a reality. You are totally qualified for this role and I wish you the best in the upcoming confirmation hearings

June 19, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  8. Zero.

The Presidents Jokes. "I had a Moment". Ha Ha Ha.

I am very unfunny. Obama is very un President...

June 19, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  9. Mike in TX

Sotomayor quits club after she gets nominated....so her affiliation with the club doesn't count.
    Geitner pays his back taxes after getting nominated....so his tax cheating doesn't count
    Obama quits a church attended for 20 years after getting called out on it...so it doesn't count

What a standup group of people. we should all strive to be so honorable.

June 19, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  10. Zero.

When Iran explodes. It will be Barack Obama who does the running.

He is a Muslim Arab. CNN need to read more history about the middle east, as usual they are so hung up on this idiot obama.

June 19, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  11. m smith

Thats to bad but the ol repos will find something else to complaine about.

June 19, 2009 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  12. tired

She should have remained a member. Republicans are crying about a racial double standard yet the gender one, them belonging to their frats and racially and gender exclusive clubs are ok but she cannot belong to a professional organization. Then again, maybe it is good she resigned because now they will have to scavenger hunt for something else to slam against this qualified individual. So if you work hard, do what is expected, exceed expectations and beat out the competition, but check a minority box on a form it is still affirmative action? Simply being white is NOT a qualification. If working hard and doing all that is expected and more is not enough then what is? If she is not confirmed then that will confirm in my mind that there is no point in a minority working hard to achieve anything if they are actually qualified for something and still called an Affirmative Action selection. I try to be patriotic but I tire of this country sometimes.

June 19, 2009 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  13. Donna from Colorado Springs

It's a shame that a bunch of whining Republicans forced Ms. Sotomayor to relinquish her membership in her club! She was not violating any rule by belonging to a womens club, yet she was made to feel like she was doing some great harm to the judges club in Washington! What a load of garbage!

June 19, 2009 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  14. Capt. SNarKy

Translated as : I just realized that this hurts my chances of reaching the prize, therefore I'll adjust my "views" to align with those whose favor I must curry.

Maybe next she'll adjust her "views" to coincide with what the Constitution actually says.

June 19, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  15. Post always rejected by CNN

Wonder how many republican men belong to a good old boys club. Maybe we can check and see. Bet they wouldn't resign.

June 19, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  16. CO

So are sororities, fraternities, girlscouts, cubscouts, women's and men's groups of churches discriminatory as well?

June 19, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  17. VGal

Isn't being a Republican the same thing – you basically belong to an exclusive all white elite male group. Yes, they occasionally allow in the good looking female or token african-american...

Repubs can kiss the women vote goodbye.

June 19, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  18. why?

I think all women and men's clubs serve a valuable purpose, I hope she wasn't caving

June 19, 2009 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  19. ike

Boy with all the progress we have made since November..this is still a racist country!! She has to quit..the Grove....WOW! So hypocritical

June 19, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  20. gl, Pittsburgh

Sonia Sotomayor don't worry becaseu the Repubicans will paid for this one dearly in 2010 and 2012. White men truly believe they are the only one that should be running all things in this country, sorry that President Obama busted their little white bubble. The Republicans are so hateful they can not see a trap if it them in the head. Republicans you need latin voters as well women and blacks. iF YOU CONTINUE TO FIGHT HER FROM BEING CONFIMRED YOU CAN KIss THE WOMEN, BLACKS, AND LATIN VOTERs GOOD BY FOREVERY. STUPID IS STUPID DOES. God said hate is a destroy at what every cost – I am seeing that to be true about the hateful Republicans Racist Party. REPUBICANS REALLY HATE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE THAT ARE NOT WHITE!

June 19, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  21. dimes1

I don't get it. If the club did not violate the rules then why quit? Don't change who you are just to get confirmed.

June 19, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  22. Willy Brown

Good. Now quit the courts and go back to your homeland.

June 19, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  23. catmom

I hope Republicans are happy but I doubt it.

June 19, 2009 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  24. Joanna in PA

I really wish she hadn't. That is ashame! What is the big deal with a women club. The GOP is insane. They really make me ill.

June 19, 2009 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  25. Avi Shlomo

too sad she had to succumb to republican pressure of white man only. Those idiots should be the last to question her membership. It is women club...women issues idiots....

June 19, 2009 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |