June 23rd, 2009

First on the CNN Ticker: Sanford, wife still haven't spoken

SULLIVANS ISLAND, South Carolina (CNN) - Gov. Mark Sanford's office may have spoken with him today, according to a spokesman - but his wife Jenny still has not, she told CNN Tuesday afternoon.

"I am being a mom today," she told CNN's David Mattingly. "I have not heard from my husband. I am taking care of my children."

Jenny Sanford told the Associated Press Monday that she did not know where her husband had gone, but was unconcerned, according to The State newspaper. The GOP governor's office said Tuesday they have spoken with him, and that he will be back on the job Wednesday.

Filed under: Mark Sanford
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

This guy is loco. Cancel 2012 goodbye. Not like you had chance in the first place.

June 23, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  2. Tim

In stead of where’s Waldo, where’s S.C Governor Mark Sanford? He should be fired or he should resign!!! If you say that’s harsh, try leaving your job for a few days without telling your employer. Bet you he or she won’t say “hey, no big deal, you just needed a few days off”!!!

June 23, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  3. WI Cheesehead

When the yarn runs out, Gov Sanford's keepers will stop spinning and the truth will come out

June 23, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  4. didi

I am more worried about our stimulus money than whereabouts of this dude....

June 23, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  5. Sniffit

Yikes. Sounds like a PERSONAL issue they need to resolve BY THEMSELVES. One would think everyone, regardless of party affiliation, would recognize that this crap needs to be taken off the table...it harms the credibility of our political process that we spend so much time delving into their private lives and pretending they were supposed to behave in a manner somehow above human.

June 23, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  6. Melissa

Ok, this guy is a nutbag. Nobody goes this long without talking to their wife. I feel bad for her. So much for your vaunted morality Republicans. Your leadership is just digging the hole deeper for you every day.

June 23, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  7. JPC

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!!!!

This has nothing to do with the public.

June 23, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  8. arc, Lugano CH

Sanford would do right by letting his wife cool down.

when he does make it home, he would also do right by bringing her some kind of souvenir or a gift.

June 23, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  9. Kathy

Face it, this is more than a little strange. How many of you out there would be okay with your spouse disappearing for 5 days and you didn't know where they were? Especially over Father's Day? Maybe it is a personal problem between he and his wife, but I haven't heard any evidence for that explanation. He is the governor of SC, if he is gone he needs to leave someone in charge. Poor leadership skills apparently.

June 23, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  10. Shari, NY

Kudos to Mrs. Sanford and all dedicated responsible MOTHERS for taking care of theirr children! Many feel like disappearing when the going gets tough but somehow their love, endurance and instincts prevent them from doing so.

June 23, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  11. Tim

Where was he? I am a tax payer and when he gone on my dime, I deserve to know that he is gone and he has left the appropriate people informed and in charge. This is a big issue becasue we now have learned that he has been known to dissapear on occasion? What a bunch of crap. He's screwing around!!! Have the guts to admit it governor!!!

June 23, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  12. Steph

I feel sorry for her. Leave her alone. I don't like Gov. Sanford, but his wife and all other family members of politicians should be left alone unless they sign up for the talk show circuit.

June 23, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  13. Republicans are the American Taliban

He was at the airport...recruiting some new Republicans in the restroom...

June 23, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. The Real Slim Shady

It seems a bit odd that this is recieving so much press. And now that the the never-had-been-missing-Sanford has been found, end of story. What is occurring between him and his wife is a private matter.

June 23, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  15. arc, Lugano CH

Disappearing on your wife to go hiking is not a Republican values or a liberal Democrat thing; and ducking an all-clad when you finally come home is not party specific either... :)

June 23, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  16. DJ

Sanford is a chump. Wow who cares about the Gov job...people are really starting to feel sorry for his poor wife and kids now.

June 23, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  17. Carole

Okay....I don't like being in anyone's private life. Makes most of us uncomfortable. But, YOU are the Governor of your state and are known to use a vehicle paid for by the taxpayers to disappear? Then, the Rethugs have a problem with the President taking his wife to a dinner/show? Meanwhile, Bush was the vacation President.

I want to see the Republican spin on this.....pass the popcorn puh leez. LOL

**I want two parties. Two parties with brains.

June 23, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  18. Vigla

Sounds like the esteemed Governor of SC needed a break from his wife. When you're Gov of a State, you don't just "disappear" for a while... That's just plain irresponsible.

June 23, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  19. Pete

Obviously some marital tension here but with the responsibilities of office you would think he would be a little less cavalier in his actions.

June 23, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  20. Walker

CNN has to chase anyone who does not go along with the DNC. Ever heard of getting out of the office for a few days – give me in break. Here in the real world we go camping with our kids or buddies and do not talk to anyone for days.

June 23, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  21. Island girl

Seems like the man has pressure coming from all sides. For the sake of South Carolina, he should pass the torch to somebody else. It would not surprise me if soon after this he checks into some kind of care giving facility.

June 23, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  22. Tesap;Savannah GA

I hope no one believes this...she knew where he was the whole time.

June 23, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  23. Jon

If it looks like and quack like a duck then it's definite a secret love affair that's about to be expose soon or maybe he is just plain "Quacky".

June 23, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  24. Jim in San Mateo

He can kiss any sort of presidential or senatorial aspirations goodbye, and if he keeps it up, maybe his wife too.

What an idiot. Being a governor isn't a job, it is a LIFE. There are rules and responsibilities that you accept 24 hours a day, seven days a week, not just 8 to 6, Monday through Friday.

If you can't stand the heat, go off into the woods and let someone who can, take over.

June 23, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  25. Pat F

@Sniffit – I agree with you. Yeah, I know, it scares me, too.

June 23, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |