June 23rd, 2009
3 months ago

Obama admits to smoking on occasion

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Barack Obama said Tuesday that he is "95 percent cured" of his smoking habit, "but there are times I mess up."

Obama said "that as a former smoker, I constantly struggle with it. ... Have I fallen off the wagon? Yes."

Obama noted he is not a daily smoker and "doesn't do it in front of" his children.

The president argued that a new law providing for FDA regulation of tobacco "is not about me. It's about the next generation of kids coming up."

The president made his remarks during a news conference at the White House.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. jeanne

i would give anything if someone cared in the late 70's and early 80's when i was sneaking smoking.....great step forward to save the future generations from a nasty addiction....as big a step as Nanacy Reagans Just Say NO...I'm so glad my child grew up with schools preaching about how bad drugs and smoking really are....she does neither....and i know the programs had alot to do with it....keep up the good work for their future....

June 23, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. Enough

CNN why on your blogs to have add a comment and then hours later change it to Permalink?? We just wasted all our time trying to post comments and you throw them out the window.........how rude!

June 23, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  3. Shirley In California Now On The Fence Re Obama

Well, Obama's not one of my favorite people these days but this is a good bill. If kids only knew what danger smoking causes – they would not do it. As a former smoker myself, I can relate.

As far as popularity goes he is NOT popular with me anymore (although I do want my president to succeed). Until he does something for the 92% black vote he received, I will continue to have my doubts about him and NOTHING will change that!

June 23, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  4. Simplicity

Wow. You mean the candidate that proposed to the American public that he was in control and can bring a fix to everything cannot even fix his own problem? Boy are we in trouble!

June 23, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  5. Realistic2

Smoking is an addicitive habit and most smokers know how hard it is to stop. Now imgaine having the world on top of your shoulder and trying to quit. If he only smokes off and on, its ok but the conserviatives will attack him on this to. They will of course say what kind of example is he setting? Well I guess cheating is ok and thats why the the republicans are avoiding Esigns affair and look up to Rush, who been convicted of a crime, to the republicans people like Rush, esign, newt are good examples.

June 23, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. toniq

president obama is keeping real and thats why this law will works because of first experinece

June 23, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. DX in TX

Come now guys....he's human! He's allowed to have weak moments as long as it doesn't jeopardize his marriage, he's good to go...

June 23, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  8. Grady

smoke 'em if you got Mr. Prez...

June 23, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  9. NOBAMA

Great! 5 months into his presidency and he's already fallen of the band wagon!

June 23, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  10. tedious898

"not a good example"., is there a habit or issue that you have or are you perfect?

Regardless, give it a rest. Many people, if faced with the POTUS' problems would be certified alcoholics by now.

Especially dealing with the idiotic rants of the GOP pee ers, They stain the imagine of an intelligent society and soil their own trousers – frequently

June 23, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  11. LIP

Hey, why doesn't the guy just admit it and say he is addicted to drugs.
    I come from a time called BF, which stood for Before Filters, back when Old Golds and Winstons and Pall Malls and Lucky Strikes made these current cigarettes look like sissy stuff.
    He should just quit so he can say he is truly "free".

June 23, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  12. Nathan from Atlanta

Other than the "95 percent" that was a good answer Mr. President.

June 23, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  13. uncledaddy

Isn't it against the law to smoke in the White House?

June 23, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. don't be so quick to judge

let he who is without sin, throw the first stone.....

June 23, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  15. Frank

He's human and he's honest. I like that.

June 23, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. JJ in Chula Vista, CA

not a good example June 23rd, 2009 1:28 pm ET

___________________

Two completely different subjects. Get a grip.

June 23, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  17. CATHERINE

That's ok Mr. President....you are only human!!

June 23, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. kevin

Would someone please tell CNN that this in not "NEW". If you keep putting this garbage on here you will lose so many people, and you will deserve it. Please CNN I like you alot, so please put new that is worthy.

June 23, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  19. cedric

do you drink?
    people are such hypocrites thats its sickening....smoking is out of favor now, so everyone speaks out, yet liquor commercials are on tv constantly, wheres the outcry?

somewhere someone is being killed by a drunk driver, wheres your outrage?

June 23, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  20. Jose'

The tool can't even quit smoking.

No wonder he is running this country into the ground.

June 23, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  21. carlo

not a good example June 23rd, 2009 1:28 pm ET

About as good of an example as Palin's teenage high school drop out daughter getting pregnant did. Save the faux outrage.

June 23, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  22. Sniffit

@ not a good example, who said "I didn't like the cigar thing with Clinton and do not like the smoking with Obama, what example does that set?"

Perhaps we should be teaching our children not to view everyone as examples then, eh? Teach them to be their own person and not to idolize or live vicariously through celebrities.

June 23, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  23. rand

I would venture to bet that very few of us have ever seen Obama smoking. He doesn't smoke in front of his children. The guy is human. Give him a break. If he wants to sneak a cig now and then, that's his business. The world is not going to start smoking because Obama has an occasional smoke.

June 23, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  24. not a Palin fan by any stretch

@ not a good example

But wasn't there someone who DID like the cigar thing with Clinton ?

June 23, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  25. aware530

So what if Pres.Obama smokes. That's a personal thing not a governing issue!

June 23, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |