June 24th, 2009

Sanford admits extramarital affair

(CNN) – South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, just back from a secret trip to Argentina unknown to his staff or his wife, admitted Wednesday he has carried on an extramarital affair.

"I've been unfaithful to my wife," Sanford told a news conference in Columbia, the state capital. "I developed a relationship with what started as a dear, dear friend from Argentina."

His voice choking at times, Sanford apologized to his wife and four sons, his staff and supporters, and said he would resign immediately as head of the Republican Governors Association.

The affair was discovered five months ago, Sanford said.

Full story

Filed under: Mark Sanford
  1. Peter E

Yeah, the great GOP hero who stood up to governement by rejecting millions in stimulus... while accepting BILLIONS from the same package. He so deserves a rest. Hypocrite!

June 24, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  2. tedious898

This sad! But what was this? a mental breakdown?

June 24, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  3. Sam

WOW shocker a GOP hypocrite.......NOT!!!

June 24, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  4. lovable liberal

He disappeared for nearly a week without telling his wife. He didn't even prep his staff with a cover story. Whether it's just or not, Sanford just committed political suicide. He cracked under pressure.

June 24, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  5. Tim

Send him on his way, unlike the democrats who make excuses for their own.

June 24, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  6. tedious898

I appreciate the honesty and his obvious being remorseful....but come on, is it necessary we force full disclosures from these politicians that can't live up to their own standards?

June 24, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  7. Chris ~ Albany, NY

WOW...couldn't have seen this one coming! Shocker...

June 24, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  8. cherrystrawberry

OMG! The Drama!!!! This is soooooooo GOOD! Where's the pop corn?

June 24, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  9. Joe

Epidemic sweeps the GOP. Goodbye 2012 chances. You can't make this stuff up!

June 24, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  10. tedious898

I feel bad for the Governor! I think he's a genuinely good guy...though a republican....he messed up!

GIVE HIM A BREAK PEOPLE!

June 24, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  11. Hugo

I only see the issue on this as his not telling anyone where he was going. However, given the recent turn of events with our "News" (sic) agencies, I wouldn't tell anyone either. Otherwise he would have had some reporter trailing him trying to dig something up the entire time. If you were trying to get away from the public microscope, this wouldn't be the way to do it. This guy has tried to do the right thing for his State by not taking your Federal tax dollars for programs that do nothing to stimulate the economy, a waste of our tax dollars. Since the left can't argue those facts they will undoubtedly use the lefts primary attack strategy of personally attacking the man, the man's family and of course his family dog.

June 24, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  12. You had your window Repubs, and you blew it!

Oh wow, this is so good it just has to be fattening!

June 24, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  13. Shari, NY

"I have been unfaithful to my wife" he says. So I guess the air is now somewhat clear. Tango in Argentina = joining congo line of politicians in a similar boat. Well, his wife was truthful when she said she knew nothing of his whereabouts and he has now "fessed up" too. Like I said before, let's keep them in prayer.

June 24, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  14. Heidi in Houston

I feel sorry for his wife and kids.

June 24, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  15. jojo

this i d o t should resign

June 24, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  16. Mike S

Sanford, one more Republican hypocrite....
    He deserves everything he is getting right now for being two-faced and preaching what he did not practice himself.

June 24, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  17. I am The Great and Powerful Wizard of Rush

Don't Cry For Me Argentina, The Truth is I Never Left You

ROTFLMAO

June 24, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  18. Shirley In California Now On The Fence Re Obama

This is just too funny. I really needed a laugh today. After reading all the responses on this subject, I didn't really have to comment because I knew how the story would end. As my late great grandmother used to say "what doesn't come out in the wash will come out in they dry" and I really don't care anything about his "poor wife and kids."

Good day everyone.

June 24, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  19. joe smith

and there was one who said,"he who is without failings, let him cast the first stone"; of course the media is in the business of sensational stuff, thats' what they live for, and thats' what sells for them...pity..

June 24, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  20. Fair is Fair

Well, there you go. No different than that jerk Edwards... no different than that jerk Clinton... no different than the jerk in Nevada, whose name escapes me.

Another politician who thinks they're above it all. I hope his wife trashes him and takes him for all he's got.

When are men going to start thinking with the head on their shoulders?

June 24, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  21. timz

Wow! I didn't think that anyone could ever make Bill Clinton look like a pillar of integrity, but Mark Sanford is giving it his best shot.

June 24, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  22. GOP - Best comedy act ever

Tony – form another Sanford post blaming this on the left – eating crow yet?

It was actually SC republican's that voiced their concern with Sandord's disappearance, nice try. And why things like this make the left crazy, is because the right sit on their thrones' spouting about how the left has no family and moral values. It's a load of crap. The right loves their extramarital affairs, as much, if not more then the left. So get off your thrones. There are not many educated people that believe have a word from the right anymore, and this is another example of why. If the right didn't portray itself as the party of "family values" then I would agree this is a non-issue, who cares if he cheats on his wife. But you reap what you sow.

June 24, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  23. Randolph Carter

So predictable. Let's not generalize about hypocritical republicans, though. There have been just as many democrats who have done this sort of thing. Have a nice day!

June 24, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  24. M

Another bites the dust.

June 24, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  25. gary

Another holier than thou republican caught with his pants down. Do what i say not what i do.What a joke of a political party.

June 24, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |