June 24th, 2009

Sanford admits extramarital affair

(CNN) – South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, just back from a secret trip to Argentina unknown to his staff or his wife, admitted Wednesday he has carried on an extramarital affair.

"I've been unfaithful to my wife," Sanford told a news conference in Columbia, the state capital. "I developed a relationship with what started as a dear, dear friend from Argentina."

His voice choking at times, Sanford apologized to his wife and four sons, his staff and supporters, and said he would resign immediately as head of the Republican Governors Association.

The affair was discovered five months ago, Sanford said.

Full story

Filed under: Mark Sanford
  1. Preston

Gosh! It's just so difficult these days to keep up with the comings and goings of the holier-than-thou crowd. But thank goodness they're on God's side, right? Unlike those scary liberal elites. Amen!

The implosion of the GOP surely is a sight to behold.

June 24, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. Sniffit

Did I not say "I smell mistress" yesterday or what? He has been sniffed and found wanting...

June 24, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  3. Teddy Starr

If you are lieing to peoples faces for years you abviously aren't to concerned about getting your heart right with God.

June 24, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  4. Kenan

Imagine that...

June 24, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  5. Bryan

Wow! That's quite a story! "I was hiking in the appalachains....I mean I was in Argentina....I mean I was in the Motel 6........no, no I was in Argentina.........I, I mean her name was Argentina.....and we were at the Motel 6....".

June 24, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  6. John Grippe

I am just wondering, and I am sure it will not seem like a fair question. Is there a single honest and upright politician, republican or democrat? It seems that they get special favors, get caught in scandals and yet never pay the price that a regular American citizen would pay under the same circumstances. I think our system is a disgrace and will be next to impossible to clean up at one covers for the other.

June 24, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  7. skyhawkdriver

Apparently this is the latest fad among members in elected office..apparently we are suffering from a flashback to the 1960s whenever everybody was doing it with everybody else..unfortunatly marriage vows just don't mean anything anymore..and before everyone starts whining about him being a republican..let's not forget the stellar behavior of many democrats..most notbly barney frank..ted kennedy..bill clinton..I don't think sex has much to do with political party..or for that matter cheating either

June 24, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  8. Mike

It's getting to the point that being a GOP rising star is the kiss of death.

June 24, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  9. Katie - Atlanta

Who didn't know this guy was cheating on his wife? I mean really. Who?

June 24, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. Pete

No surprise here, move along.

June 24, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  11. JJ at Bucknell...

...another one bites the dust! yayyy the field for possible republican contenders in 2012 gets smaller... and smaller... the republicans as such hypocrites when it comes to "family values"– this is just ridiculous!!! i really hope he holds another news conference tomorrow... and steps down!!! (then... stephen colbert can once again fill his shoes hahaha!)

June 24, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  12. cjg

I guess we know what most suspected , now let us hope the press will leave his family alone but he should resign and go off into the sunset.
    Another case of finger pointing by the party of family values that back fires!

June 24, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  13. Obama Victim

perhaps he and John Edwards can trade little black books

June 24, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  14. J.Dumas

This is very sad to see.....

June 24, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  15. Debbie Green

John McCain is squirming in his chair about now!! LOL What a joke! The Republicans are a joke! Mark Sanford is a loser, and the only reason he is on the tv crying is probably because he got caught! Bye bye to another GOP candidate! HA!

June 24, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  16. Once You Vote Black: PUMA where are you?

S H A M E ON YOU GOVERNOR! I knew you were a dog! You got 4 great boys and a beautyful wife and you let youself get caught? What a low down dirty d o g! Its not the cheating its that you were so bad at keeping it to yourself. How can you look you boys in the face anymore? And during Father's Day. Those poor boys. S H A M E ON YOU! And you admit it? Never tell the truth unless you have to. And you did not have to. I was going to vote for you for president. You were the hope of the GOP.

June 24, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  17. Annie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

It sounds to me like this guy is actually having a complete mental breakdown– he has just been totally weird lately. Time for some serious medical & psychological help perhaps.
    And perhaps time to step down & let the Lt. Gov. take over in S.C.

June 24, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  18. Ken in NC

I thought that the Republican party was the party of Family Values. I guess they are no different than any other party.

June 24, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  19. SweetSusie

I'm not surprised. If I were a betting woman, I would be rich. Saw this coming from a mile away.

June 24, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  20. barry

So what's new...seems to be standard fare in the congress! Let's move on people

June 24, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  21. SB in SA

I do not believe in this one bit, but Libs will try to crucify Sanford and still defend Clinton.

June 24, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  22. rachel

When will these politicans learn what's done in the dark will come to light.

June 24, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  23. anderson n carolina

He's sorry alright ! Another hypocrite faces the music ! I'm surprised that he didn't blame it on the devil !!! All our sympathy is with his wife and kids.....

June 24, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  24. Greg, San Francisco, CA

A Republican hypocrite – What a surprise!

June 24, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  25. SLM

Now theres a shocker, A politician having an affair. Politicians, Democrat or Republican are a bunch of cheaters. Hey, atleast it's a bipartisan issue, probably the only one. Edwards still wins the biggest sleeze of the year award.

June 24, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |