June 24th, 2009

Sanford admits extramarital affair

(CNN) – South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, just back from a secret trip to Argentina unknown to his staff or his wife, admitted Wednesday he has carried on an extramarital affair.

"I've been unfaithful to my wife," Sanford told a news conference in Columbia, the state capital. "I developed a relationship with what started as a dear, dear friend from Argentina."

His voice choking at times, Sanford apologized to his wife and four sons, his staff and supporters, and said he would resign immediately as head of the Republican Governors Association.

The affair was discovered five months ago, Sanford said.

Full story

Filed under: Mark Sanford
  1. Kellie in Fort Worth

I'm shocked – SHOCKED, I tell you.

Thank goodness they didn't have his poor wife standing behind him for the announcement. That would have the kicker for the poor thing.

What a pathetic excuse for a man, let alone a governor. Leaving your wife and 3 kids on Father's Day weekend to go meet up with a bimbo.

The Republicans really need to start grooming their 2012 hopefuls behind the scenes, and vetting them better, so they can stop imploding all over the daily news.

June 24, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  2. Sara

This one takes the cake. I mean, seriously. Sneaking off on a little gubernatorial love getaway to Argentina without considering that someone just might ask where the absent guv is? The male politician's brain turns off when certain urges present themselves. This is an established fact from New York to New Jersey to North Carolina to South Carolina.

June 24, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  3. Dave R. Pawleys Island, SC

I wonder what the pro-Sanford folks think now. He may have done some good things for SC in the past. But, his handling of the stimulus funds and now this have sealed it for me.

June 24, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  4. Ralph, South Carolina

WOW! This is unbelievable.

June 24, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  5. Tim in Seattle

That was a long hike.

June 24, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  6. Really????

Shock of all shockers!!!! Was there anyone who hadn't figured this out before he admitted it? He's a politician – regardless of party affiliation, they all seem to think they are invisible while they are truly under a microscope. Next.

June 24, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  7. JerriinNM

I love it....GOP "Family Values" hard at work!

June 24, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  8. Scott B

LMAO, Kinda predicted this didn't we. Seems like political figures are the worse liars. Man up and don't just step down as the GOP head of governers but as the Gov. of S.C. Another christian right head tosses himself under the bus and out of the presidental race for 2012. Got to love the GOP implosion

June 24, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  9. Suzanne

The way this whole situation started and developed really makes me wonder how stupid he is. He shouldn't have had a problem to set it up in a way that would have not raised that much suspicion. I feel not the least sorry for him, only for his wife and kids.

June 24, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  10. Calvin

First question, How many times in the past has he done this...skipped out on his Wife and kids

June 24, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  11. Anonymous

no surprise here

June 24, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  12. MorningStar

OMG, another repub! I feel sorry was his wife and sons. I wish them well.

June 24, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  13. HB

Gee, what a shocker. Must be some affair to make him ditch his own children on Father's Day to be with her instead. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a child with this woman also.

June 24, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  14. Gorbashov - Long Beach, Ca.

WOW, what a suprise!?!?!?!

By Republican "Family Values" they must mean starting as many families as possible!

I'm reregistering Republican........these guys get trim!

June 24, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  15. Eunice

I will pray for him and his family. When you live in a glass house you should not throw the first stone.

June 24, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  16. pam Eugene OR

Is anyone surprised by this. It has been a tough week for the Republicans. The man is a dog to do this to his family. I can't imagine how his wife and children must feel and my heart goes out to them. I just heard Rush Limbaugh say that lust was the only thing that was beyond anyone's control. I guess that is how the Republicans will play this along with the what a great guy he is for not lying about this.
    Truly unbelievable!

June 24, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  17. Florence, SC

I'm a SC resident. How can he even show his face. He continues to be a big dissapointment. I hope this means he will finally resign. This man was more concern about his mistress than he was the state of SC.

June 24, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  18. Greg

Well this just makes sense doesn't it?

June 24, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  19. Irma in North Carolina

Boy this spreading like a virus among the republicans going around, and this guy was thinking about runing for president. And to top it off he didnt want the stimulas money to help the poor people in his state. Wonder what the people of South Carolina think about him. Where was his wife was she standing by his side. I think the state should call on him to resign.

June 24, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  20. MD

This wasn't a shock to any woman over the age of 30. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to his wife and children.

June 24, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  21. Ryan

This is a sad thing to see. I really like Sanford. He loses all of his credibility with me a responcible adult. As a politician and governor he is still ok in my view.

On another note, dems cant say anything about this one. They have a long dark history with adulterous politicians( including two presidents).

June 24, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  22. Davey

Hmmm . . . yet another gleaming conservative example of the sanctity of marriage.

June 24, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  23. carla

I knew it!!! I could not think of any other reason for this disappearance from his wife and children.

June 24, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  24. Tracy

As I initially thought – cheating on the wife – had to admit it before Smoking Gun or some other gossip rag spilled the beans. What is up with these politicians – Sanford, Edwards, Speitzer, etc. – no wonder the country, states and cities are in such a mess, these guys can't focus on the real problems at hand because they are busy cheating & lying.

June 24, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  25. john

HA! I predicted this yesterday in my comments. His aide blew it when he said he had to contact him in Argentina...after saying he was hiking. Another republican having a sex scandle at the taxpayers expense. Is this the mindset of the entire republican party. Granted , the dems have had a couple, but not nearly as many as the republican perverts.

June 24, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |