June 24th, 2009

Sanford releases statement: 'I ask for your forgiveness'

(CNN) - South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford has issued a statement following his press conference Wednesday:

"I apologize to the people of South Carolina. There are many people out there right now who are hurt, angry and disappointed with me, and rightfully so. Over the time that I have left in office, I'm going to devote my energy to building back the trust the people of this state have placed in me."

Full statement after the jump

Columbia, S.C. – June 24, 2009 – Governor Mark Sanford today issued the following statement:

"First and foremost, I apologize to my wife and my four boys. I have made decisions that have hurt and will continue to hurt them, and for that I'm sincerely sorry. Jenny has stood by me through campaign after campaign, through hard time after hard time, and neither she nor the boys deserve this. Please offer them your prayers.

"I apologize to my staff. I misled them about my whereabouts, and as a result the people of South Carolina believed something that wasn't true. I want to make absolutely clear that over the past two days at no time did anyone on my staff intentionally relay false information to other state officials or the public at large. What they've said over the past two days they believed to be true, and I'm sorry to them for putting them in this position.

"I ask for your forgiveness, and your prayers for everyone who I've hurt," Sanford said.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. P. Y.

ROTFLMAO ! You just can't make this stuff up !
    I really needed a laugh today.

June 24, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  2. mw

Hypocrit, typical self righteous repug with loose zipper. What ever happened to the "family values" party?????? disgusting.
    Resign you idiot

June 24, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  3. Texas Teacher

For God's sake... can someone forgive this guy so we can get onto another topic? Let the election turn out for him show how the people feel. We don't need any grand standing media to keep us distracted from what really matters!!!! Let us tell you what we feel and want about the important topics that effect our lives! This kind of political gossip is beneath you, CNN... we expect more... from the best news team on tv!

June 24, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. Dean

If memory serves Sanford (when in Congress) has a leading critic re: Bill Clinton's infidelity, and voted to impeach. Perhaps the SC legislature should impeach Gov. Sanford. What's good for the goose... What a hypocrite! Seems to run deep in current Republicans in office. John Ensign, Larry Craig, David Vitter, and Mark Foley come to mind quickly. Always trying to legislate what goes on in others bedrooms, and then are guilty of similar behavior. Forgive perhaps, forget no way.

June 24, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  5. sphere51

He waited 8 years to totally dis his kids on FATHER'S DAY in front of the whole world. Makes Scrooge look like Santa Claus.

June 24, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  6. John Starnes Tampa Florida

Did this trip involve costs to the taxpayers? If so he needs to refund them. Time and again, Conservative Christian Republicans show themselves to be nothing more than modern day hypocritical Pharisees too busy telling others how to live to to honor their own "family values".

June 24, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  7. Texas Teacher

He disappointed his wife and family.... those are the people he should be apologizing to... and on the news media at that! If he did things that were illegal.... then just punishment is in order. Otherwise, let it GO... so we can move on to something important.... like the universal health care wanted and voted for by the people, and ignored by our congress for the Big Business Fat Cat Medical Community!

June 24, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  8. MJM

I know the grass looks greener on the other side but it will turn on you sooner or later.

June 24, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  9. Sea.gem

...guess we should elect him president...now if only he had a financial scandal he and his wife could lie or "not remember" ..he would have all the qualifications...

June 24, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  10. Willa

The party of No and HYPOCRISY with their moral preaching and bible thumping hypocrites...The democrats are not the party of morality and the truth be told, most of the US is morally lacking, but at least they don't preach it and make it part of the election mantra...:-(

June 24, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  11. GOP Hypocrites

no forgiveness for you because you cannot give it to others.

June 24, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  12. Melissa

I think it was a slimy thing to do cheating on his wife, but the cheating isn't the problem. Thats an issue between him and his wife (though, if she doesn't throw him out for it, she should be ashamed and is a bad example for the strength of women). The problem is the leaving the country without telling anyone and the lying.

June 24, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  13. Gregg Goins

With all this high-drama going on then how can his state be getting his un-divided attention!

June 24, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  14. David

I noticed that he never said he was not seeing the other women any longer. If she was important enough to abandon his wife and children over Father's Day, he sent a big message about what he feels is important in his life. Or his wife has already kicked him out.

June 24, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  15. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

This is the behavior of a candidate for POTUS from the party of high family and moral values?!?!?!?!

Remember, too, this is the same guy who railed against those having affairs!

"Don't cry for me, Argentina......!"

June 24, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. Only 21% of Americans trust republicans to lead them into the 21st century!

I am not one to call for politicians to resign, especially over an affair, and I am not in this case either.

However, when you are the governor and leave the country without officially handling the mantle of power over to the Lt. Governor, and are gone for a week, that is dereliction of duty and he should resign from his post.

They put the VP officially in charge when Reagan was shot and undergoing surgery and that was just for a few hours.

Six days and lied to the staff so if something had happened he truly would have been of of the loop.

That alone is reason for Sanford to resign.

June 24, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  17. Res ipsa loquitur

Oooh, now I can add "hypocritical" to "self-righteous, narcissistic, prevaricating political hack"!

June 24, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  18. Once You Vote Black: PUMA where are you?

I will forgive him in exchange for his resignation. No wonder SC is the dirt state that it is. Its governor is only thinking about himself and not the people of the state.

June 24, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  19. Kuratali

More despicable behavior from another politician. Bad enough by itself, regardless of party affliation. Compounded by the arrogance and hypocrisy of a Christian conservative.

"For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you."

June 24, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  20. mother and sister of a soldier

Why is it that everyone calls for the resignations of our unfaithful leaders? Of course the dems jump on every repub asking him to resign but yet the track record of dems over the years has been to flaunt their escapades. The Kennedys (all of them), Clinton, Roosevelt just to name the well known have all escaped unscathed. Better yet, the stupid people of Mass continue to re-elect Kennedy after all his sins and death of Mary Jo Kopeckne. Go figure??? It seems the norm any more for the political figures on both sides to be sexually weak.

June 24, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  21. Melissa

Impeach him for the lying. Clinton was impeached for the lying, so why wouldn't Sanford be impeached? Or do we call it "hypocrit"?

June 24, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  22. B.C.H

Those mean ol' Dems are reponsible for this! Just leave the man alone with his mistress!

June 24, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  23. lisam

I just knew I should have made some bets a few days ago!

I'd be RICH, RICH, RICH, but not mean like most RICH GOPers!

June 24, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |