June 24th, 2009

Sanford releases statement: 'I ask for your forgiveness'

(CNN) - South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford has issued a statement following his press conference Wednesday:

"I apologize to the people of South Carolina. There are many people out there right now who are hurt, angry and disappointed with me, and rightfully so. Over the time that I have left in office, I'm going to devote my energy to building back the trust the people of this state have placed in me."

Full statement after the jump

Columbia, S.C. – June 24, 2009 – Governor Mark Sanford today issued the following statement:

"First and foremost, I apologize to my wife and my four boys. I have made decisions that have hurt and will continue to hurt them, and for that I'm sincerely sorry. Jenny has stood by me through campaign after campaign, through hard time after hard time, and neither she nor the boys deserve this. Please offer them your prayers.

"I apologize to my staff. I misled them about my whereabouts, and as a result the people of South Carolina believed something that wasn't true. I want to make absolutely clear that over the past two days at no time did anyone on my staff intentionally relay false information to other state officials or the public at large. What they've said over the past two days they believed to be true, and I'm sorry to them for putting them in this position.

"I ask for your forgiveness, and your prayers for everyone who I've hurt," Sanford said.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. xargaw

Forgiveness because he got caught? He has four little kids. What a creep!

June 24, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  2. Kyle

Another GOP heavyweight goes down due to sexual controversy. You would think the party would learn to de-emphasize one of their weakest vulnerabilities. Then again, Republicans seem content with being a minority party.

June 24, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  3. DP

What a knucklehead !

June 24, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  4. CUPID

Love is in the Aires!

June 24, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  5. Tim

This is a sad day. Can't anyone be faithful anymore?

June 24, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  6. J.M.

Once again, let it go. the issue is him abadoning his post, not his affair. Yes the man is obviously a dispicable father and husband, but that is not for the country to be concerned, it is for his family. Let the news focus on say,... the news, why did he think he could abandon his post?

June 24, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  7. Steph

Forgiveness granted, now resign.

June 24, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  8. toni

Please resign immediately....

June 24, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  9. Jim in San Jose 2

This is the (or rather, was) the head of the Governor's association for the party that would legislate behavior in our bedrooms. The Republican Party is as devoid of morals as everyone else. They need to find a different stand than "We are the party of higher moral values" because it's not holding water.

June 24, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  10. Geo

I said it yesterday that this guy was having an affair. The next one to admit an affair from the GOP will be Rush. Of course his affair will be with a man. The GOP just keeps digging their own grave.

June 24, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  11. Trade Freedom for Security, Lose Both

Since Dems will be calling for Sanford's resignation, let's just pass a law that all politicians who cheat should resign. That means when a Dem cheats, s/he needs to resign too.

June 24, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  12. ZRab

This is not just a crime against South Caroliniens and your family. You are a horrible example to the entire nation. I hope you'll find a job at McDonald's so you can pay your attorney for the divorce process.

To your wife: I'm sorry that you had to marry a crook. But that's what you get with Republicans. When you remarry, consider a Democrat!

June 24, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  13. Dawn in Pa

The person he needs forgiveness from is his wife, not from the People Of South Carolina, that should come later. He lied to his wife and sons, the one who he hurt the most.

The Governor who blasted others for infidelity, shame on you Gov. Sanford.

June 24, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  14. Hypocrites = Republicans (family values my a__)

Hmm! Think about the school children that are attending schools in deliberated buildings. Did you care at all about them? You refused to accept the stimulus money all because you wanted to play politics. Did you take the time to think about what would have happened if there was an natural or an attack in your state? I for one will not forgive you. You Republican's are a bunch of lying hypocrites! By the way, I still think you were with a man.

June 24, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  15. Tim S.- Tampa

This is the funniest thing I"ve read this week!! The party of values......

June 24, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  16. Tesap;Savannah GA

I still wanna know who paid for his trip.................

June 24, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  17. Boytjie

Another Family Values Rebuplican bites the dust... but you have to protect marriage from the gays....

June 24, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  18. Drew, FL

And if you act now, in addition to the family values package we'll toss in a lifetime supply of snake oil.

/facepalm

June 24, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  19. Sharon, Illinois

Another fine example of the Republican "family values" party. They should consider changing that tune. The adage "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" certainly applies to the wonderful men of the right wing party. What a pitiful bunch of guys.

June 24, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  20. kevin

Funny how the GOP crowd loves to lecture us about family values.

June 24, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  21. not surprised

and another one bites the dust

June 24, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  22. annie s

We already knew he was self centered and cared about no one or no thing more than getting to run fro President in 2012. Now that he blew that one, is he finally going to do anything at all to help the people of his state. 15% live in poverty, the unemployment rate is 11.6%; the high drop out rate is 33% and this self serving idiot didn't want stimulus money.

June 24, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  23. HBO

This is a picture Karma. Ya know what I mean – what you put out, comes back to you. The self-righteousness of the GOP is on display again.

They are so quick to use their so-called "Evangelical Values" as a basis to throw stones at their opponents... and now look... another fallen hypocrit emerges.

June 24, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  24. CSIN

Someone suggested that if this were a democrat in the Sanford case, there wouldn't be a problem. I totally disagree! On the contrary, it would be bigger than life! It would be Republicans Ammo! However this is hardly about political parties...this is about morals, integrity, and family values; None of which Sanford has exhibited in recent months.

CSIN

June 24, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  25. Middle man

I think Obama should take him and his senorita to have an audience with Pope Benedict. It takes two to tango and I believe that that woman aided and abetted in wrecking Father's Day. Even if he and his family were not on speaking terms, that day should be the perfect time to mend a relationship with the children. The two of them are a disgrace!

June 24, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |