June 24th, 2009

Sanford releases statement: 'I ask for your forgiveness'

(CNN) - South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford has issued a statement following his press conference Wednesday:

"I apologize to the people of South Carolina. There are many people out there right now who are hurt, angry and disappointed with me, and rightfully so. Over the time that I have left in office, I'm going to devote my energy to building back the trust the people of this state have placed in me."

Full statement after the jump

Columbia, S.C. – June 24, 2009 – Governor Mark Sanford today issued the following statement:

"First and foremost, I apologize to my wife and my four boys. I have made decisions that have hurt and will continue to hurt them, and for that I'm sincerely sorry. Jenny has stood by me through campaign after campaign, through hard time after hard time, and neither she nor the boys deserve this. Please offer them your prayers.

"I apologize to my staff. I misled them about my whereabouts, and as a result the people of South Carolina believed something that wasn't true. I want to make absolutely clear that over the past two days at no time did anyone on my staff intentionally relay false information to other state officials or the public at large. What they've said over the past two days they believed to be true, and I'm sorry to them for putting them in this position.

"I ask for your forgiveness, and your prayers for everyone who I've hurt," Sanford said.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. LouAz

What a phoney . . . still lying !
    Does S. Carolina have a Constitution that would allow them to impeach this lover boy since he does not think he should resign ?
    What's all that goose and gander stuff ? Or does that just apply to Dems ?

June 24, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. Ana

He is only being apologetic because he has been caught. If he hadn't bee, this would be no news today. I don't only feel sorry for his wife but also for the othe woman.
    I hope the two of them tell him to go you know where...

June 24, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  3. hevenlyt

So in the press conference, he acknowledges the pain he caused the other woman first...then the people, then the wife, nothing about the boys initially. Evem when he gets busted he still looking out for the other woman first. Wow! At least the written apology acknowledges the wife and kids first. They deserve so much better than this guy and so do the people of South Carolina!

June 24, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  4. Ariana

Dunno why the GOP insists on being the party of morals, they have none.

June 24, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  5. Steph

J.M.
    I agree with you 100%!

June 24, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  6. Debby

What a jerk he should step down as Governor ASAP.

June 24, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. Angie in PA

Family Values party is going down the tubes fast Id say!

June 24, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  8. Sherry

I find it disconcerting that no one seems too upset that this Governor went away for 5 days with no one knowing his whereabouts. He did not inform the Lt. Governor that he would be out of touch and that he would be "in charge" should any state emergencies occur. I find his actions reprehensible and irresponsible, not only to the State represents, but to his family too. Sorry just doesn't cut it here.

June 24, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. bruce

He got caught,,
    Abandoned his job as Gov..where no one could reach him..and supposedly his staff did not know....
    His wife knew for 5 months, but she told the press she did not know where he was....yea right..
    Read an article that the Highway Patrol had said that he been taking state cars out at "strange hours of the night" with no securiity force...wonder who he was seeing then...do not think we have heard the last of this.
    If he does not resgin as Gov.. then he should be impeached..he did not carry out his duty and serve the people of SC...I used to live there and this guy was a joke.
    No one is fogetting Edwards, Clinton, this is just another example of power corrupting,,,

June 24, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  10. sms29s

Rats! I preferred my own explanation that he is a CIA agent. How very borning and mundane, just another politician caught with his pants down.

June 24, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  11. harvey spar

He should resign immediately. Not for his adultery ,bad enough, but for lyng to his staff and the people of SC as to his whereabouts.

June 24, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  12. Bill Sampson

Okay, but when do we vote on his marriage. After all of this, I cannot approve. Sorry, Mark.

June 24, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  13. The Game

This is my favorite speech.. and the GOP's too!

Forgiveness for what?? multiplying?? Puh-lease, don't you neocons read the book of Genesis anymore..??Give us a break and go cast your stone some other place, ( i wish i could fly to S. America too and get one of these lovely mamacitas, don't you? )

June 24, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  14. Lesley Anne

This latest example of lapses in conservative morals should wake up the party to the fact that they need to get off the soapbox of the religious right who brandish their conservatism like a weapon. They are dropping like flies. Until this party learns to be more inclusive of people outside their tent of false righteousness, they won't be able to get anyone to trust them or start voting for them.

June 24, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  15. dustin

If it wasn't for the repubs sheer hypocrisy on the issue, i wouldn't care at all, stop preaching family values if you don't value the family.

June 24, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  16. MH

Oh no, another Republican cheat?! Where is their family values? LOL

June 24, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  17. Angie in PA

He needs Forgivness from his Wife more his children what a pos!

June 24, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  18. Donna from Colorado Springs

He should address his letter of resignation to the people of South Carolina! He has hurt everyone, not just his family. But this isn't confined to the Republicans. Democrats have the same problem of not keeping their desires in check and getting caught.

June 24, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  19. walters

I knew it when it was announced he was missing how weird this guy was and not telling his loved ones his whereabout. His wife did not have a say because she was accustomed to cold shoulder by him long ago. There you go again GOP your family values in the tank. Ensign opened the flood gate and there are more adulterers to come including democrats.

June 24, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  20. DawnL,CA

I can't believe this guy!! Wants forgiveness? Go join the rest of these guys who can't keep their pants zipped! Must be something in the water.

June 24, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  21. Jane in Windsor, CA

LOL. "And the hits just keep on coming" for the GOP.

June 24, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  22. CZD

I am glad this came to light. Is the Govenor in Promise Keepers? lol.
    He is also against gay marriage. Nice!

June 24, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  23. Chris

hahaha...Epic Fail

June 24, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  24. rick

A little late for an apology, dude. You're a scumbag. GOP – the party of family values – what a joke.

June 24, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  25. Ahhhhhhhh!!!!

THIS is why we regular folks think the Republican party is mostly one big bunch of hypocritical pontificating holier-than-thou's who have NO BUSINESS telling us how the rest of us should behave in our personal lives.

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and go with the "naked hiking" theory, but hey, this is sooooo much worse.

And he gave it up pretty darn fast once he was caught, I noticed. Almost like it was a relief, and merely inevitable that he would become a member of the "can't keep his pants on" club.

June 24, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |