June 24th, 2009

Sanford releases statement: 'I ask for your forgiveness'

(CNN) - South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford has issued a statement following his press conference Wednesday:

"I apologize to the people of South Carolina. There are many people out there right now who are hurt, angry and disappointed with me, and rightfully so. Over the time that I have left in office, I'm going to devote my energy to building back the trust the people of this state have placed in me."

Full statement after the jump

Columbia, S.C. – June 24, 2009 – Governor Mark Sanford today issued the following statement:

"First and foremost, I apologize to my wife and my four boys. I have made decisions that have hurt and will continue to hurt them, and for that I'm sincerely sorry. Jenny has stood by me through campaign after campaign, through hard time after hard time, and neither she nor the boys deserve this. Please offer them your prayers.

"I apologize to my staff. I misled them about my whereabouts, and as a result the people of South Carolina believed something that wasn't true. I want to make absolutely clear that over the past two days at no time did anyone on my staff intentionally relay false information to other state officials or the public at large. What they've said over the past two days they believed to be true, and I'm sorry to them for putting them in this position.

"I ask for your forgiveness, and your prayers for everyone who I've hurt," Sanford said.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Stephanie

So much for the "party of values!" Probably a "good Christian man," too. If these are what they believe are their values, I'd rather stay a heathen, TYVM.

Ah well, one less for 2012!

June 24, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  2. T

There more to this story.......it well all come out. People do drop the ball, however he really dropped his. He will be forgiving but he needs to resign. I think he was in the US having his cheap affair. I also think
    that his affair was with a man not a woman. Because he is one of the good old boys and to have an affair with someone from South America mmm. Nothing is secret everything will come to LIGHT

June 24, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  3. a canuck

I thought Republicans were supposed to be the ones with high morals and family values ?????

June 24, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  4. ThinkAboutIt

And he wants to be President?!? OMG – what an inconsiderate, self-centered, irresponsible hypocrit!

June 24, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  5. Terry, Dallas Texas

I think what most Republican supporters are failing to grasp is not that these peole are busy having affairs it's that they stand there and preach about how the GOP is the party of morality in America and how it saddens them to see the decay of our society at the hands of liberals. Then they go off and do the same thing. You say "we are better then them' and then when they get caught they say "hey, we are no worse than the liberals" You can't have it both ways folks.

June 24, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  6. michaelam

Your wife has my condolences.......You sir, are a huge hypocrite....just like the majority of the members in your party. Do the right thing and resign. You let your constituents down on so many levels and so many times. It is time that you REALLY take a hike.

June 24, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  7. Cindy

I just knew this guy was having a affair! This is just ashame. It's seems like no one cares what they do anymore!

June 24, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  8. JW

I don't care what party he's from, he's a moron. "I'm hiking the Appalchian trail" (does anybody really hike the Appalachian trail that far south in summer very often?)...."no, I needed a break so I went to Argentina"......"oops! I went to Argentina to screw around on my wife and kids".....

Besides skipping town on his family, he skipped town on the state of SC by not turning over the helm to the lieutenant gov, or better yet, not even telling them the truth about where he was.

What a jerk.

June 24, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  9. Gasman

Sanford lied to his wife and children, to his staff, and to the entire state of South Carolina. He valued his mistress in Argentina more than any of the above. He also violated SC state law by not transferring power to the Lt. Gov. when he knew he would be unreachable. The shrill criticism isn't for the affair, it's for the lying, the illegality, and the hypocrisy. If he has any vestigial decency left in his tiny soul, he will resign and spare his wife and children the ignominiousness of being forced to remain in the public spotlight. For God's sake Sanford, man up and resign so you can tend to your family!

June 24, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  10. AK, CA

Republicans need to re-think their value arguments. The sad thing is that they have fooled so many people for so long

June 24, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  11. NYdoc

Who did not see this coming?

As soon as I heard that some Governor was down in Argentina and didn't tell his wife and staff, I thought to myself, "well he is obviously down there having an affair with his mistress". People don't just wander off to Argentina for no reason. I'm surprised it took three days for that to come out.

June 24, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  12. Daniel -- Mesquite, Texas

He can take his forgiveness and shove it up his butt. He is a typical politician, whether it be a Democrat or Republican. I don't trust any politician, and no one should.

June 24, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  13. Independent South Carolinian

Well Governor,

You have given many South Carolinians allot of grief this past year and you refused to take stimulus money. Fortunately, the courts and the legislature forced you to take the money and that saved the jobs of many teachers, policemen and prison guards. You caused many to suffer including you family. We can forgive you especially if YOU RESIGN!!!!!!

June 24, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  14. JJ -TORONTO

NO no you are a value leaders you have failed - you should resign

June 24, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  15. independent

Impeach him for personal use of a government vehicle to engage in illicit affairs. If money were involved, this may be another Spitzer investigation. Were campaign contributions used to pay his costs?

June 24, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  16. walters

What a shame! crying for forgiveness and prayer for his family to the people in SC on his behalf, never heard of it.

June 24, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  17. Tom

What do you expect, people? He's a politician, the lowest form of life on the planet !!!

June 24, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  18. Tee NC

No way Sanford...forgiveness NEVER don't try to play a victim NOW. I love my home state of SC and you are nothing but a weak minded punk, all the LIES of saying family 1st and the BS you have caused NO NO NO to you and your LIES. Only thing you are sorry for is being busted.

June 24, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  19. Deb in Colo

Just another good "family values" Republican crying crocodile tears. I'm sure Rush and Sarah will forgive him. His wife probably won't.

June 24, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  20. Keeth in California

Resign as Governor of South Carolina first.

June 24, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  21. Franky, Land of Lincoln

Gov, the only thing I can pray for is for your family and also to you as well. But in the end, is up to you Gov what you think is best, not us, we already know...enough.

June 24, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  22. avahome

I'm sure Mrs. Sanford has been busy these few days getting her ducks in order since she knew all along what her hubby was up to.
    Hopefully she has enough money stashed to take care of herself and the kids with enough money left over to buy Sanford a one way ticket to Argentina. Good riddens to bad rubbish.

June 24, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  23. Chris

At least he is admitting his sexual affair and not denying it....unlike Bill Clinton did...I think if Bill Clinton had done the same, I never would have had an issue with him.

June 24, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. ashlee

At least the wife was not standing next to him, like the rest of the cheating husbands, when they confess.

June 24, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  25. Seattle Rocks

Another politician who flaunts his high moral values in public, then does completely the opposite in private!! What a hypocrite – he needs to resign and I hope his lovely wife takes him to the cleaners!!

June 24, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |