June 24th, 2009

Sanford releases statement: 'I ask for your forgiveness'

(CNN) - South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford has issued a statement following his press conference Wednesday:

"I apologize to the people of South Carolina. There are many people out there right now who are hurt, angry and disappointed with me, and rightfully so. Over the time that I have left in office, I'm going to devote my energy to building back the trust the people of this state have placed in me."

Full statement after the jump

Columbia, S.C. – June 24, 2009 – Governor Mark Sanford today issued the following statement:

"First and foremost, I apologize to my wife and my four boys. I have made decisions that have hurt and will continue to hurt them, and for that I'm sincerely sorry. Jenny has stood by me through campaign after campaign, through hard time after hard time, and neither she nor the boys deserve this. Please offer them your prayers.

"I apologize to my staff. I misled them about my whereabouts, and as a result the people of South Carolina believed something that wasn't true. I want to make absolutely clear that over the past two days at no time did anyone on my staff intentionally relay false information to other state officials or the public at large. What they've said over the past two days they believed to be true, and I'm sorry to them for putting them in this position.

"I ask for your forgiveness, and your prayers for everyone who I've hurt," Sanford said.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Texas Pioneer

That family values plank on the GOP platform is so high off of the ground, when you fall off the career is smashed to death

June 24, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  2. Desiree Jordan

First of all my heart goes out to this man's wife and 4 BOYS! What a way to hear that your husband and father sacrificed your entire family for a Fling in Argentina! I think he should be impeached, the people of SC deserve better than this! This man is a LIAR..why should he keep his post as Govorner of the people of SC if he can to this to his FAMILY!!?

June 24, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  3. decent american

what a bunch of crap. this is why our country is failing. do as i say not as i do.

goes for dems as well as repubs.

what are the fruits of your life?

June 24, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  4. virginia for obama

You mean to tell me that . . . the woman you spend time with ON FATHER'S DAY means more to you than with your SONS on that day!!

That's what gets me is what those 4 BOYS must be feeling!

June 24, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  5. Once You Vote Black: PUMA where are you?

Well I forgive you Governor. I hope you do not do anything rash. Just go home and take care of those 4 boys if you don't do anything else.

June 24, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  6. Party Purity will never bring Political Power!

These "new faces" of the republiklan party, look a lot like the old faces.

June 24, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  7. CitizenJ

10 bucks says there's a kid involved.

June 24, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  8. BJs65

Terry from Dallas, what you wrote is about exactly what I was about to say. How so true – the cry and moan about the decay of morality at the hands of "liberals" and go and do the same thing themselves.

The statement, "You say "we are better then them' and then when they get caught they say "hey, we are no worse than the liberals" You can't have it both ways folks." is spot on.

June 24, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  9. Erik in Real Pennsylvania

He MUST resign as governor. He lied to his staff and the people of South Carolina and used state resources for travel to attend to his extramarital affair.

June 24, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  10. LT in Texas

Politicians are not perfect. Both parties have had issues.

If the GOP is going to actually stand for family values, they need to walk the walk.

Clinton was impeached because of his affair. If that is the "standard" ste, all high-ranking officials should meet the same judgement. Bit of course, the christian right should know who are we to judge others?

Another day, another immoral politician. Not really news.

Spitzer in 2008, and now Sanford in 2009. They won't be the last. whatever happend about learning from your mistakes or those of others?

June 24, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  11. tom

Obviously republican politicians have a higher rate of promiscuity then gay people who they wouldn't let marry, because they would be sending the wrong message to who? Your kids are certainly not proud of your moral conduct. I guess you were not conservative about everything.

June 24, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  12. Alan

And this was FAR from "less than truthful," as stated in the story. This man LIED and had his STAFF lie to the people about his freaking wherabouts while he was off having an affair.

I agree it doesn't matter what party he's from - these lies should get him impeached as governor. Period.

Considering the party he's in it's even worse - as pointed out here, the so-called "conservative values" issue pops up being a huge hyprocrisy again.

June 24, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  13. Bob

I read many people here saying the the GOP is the party of values? Where is that written? And does that mean that the Democrats are the party of no values? Where is that written as well? Should he resign? No, let the good people of SC decide his fate. Were all of you calling for him to resign that eager for President Clinton to resign as well? Probably not. Even though this is a disgusting display of selfishness it is not against the law. Teddy Kennedy has had a girlfriend or two and he never stepped down.

June 24, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  14. Warren

The new South Carolina State song shall forever be from "EVITA"

"Don't Cry For Me, Argentina"

There will not be many tears from the residents of South Carolina.

June 24, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  15. Scott the Independent

I have one question in response to his request for forgiveness; what does he feel in his heart regarding the treatment and calls for the impeachment of President Clinton. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

June 24, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  16. Once You Vote Black: PUMA where are you?

I feel so bad for his boys! They thought they had a dad who loved them and they were the center of his life. And what does he do? Runs out on them on Father's day for some rojo mommasita in South America. That is unAmerican.

June 24, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  17. Mike

This guy's likely to get impeached, for ditching the state for a week and letting nobody know where he was. He abandoned his responsibility, plain and simple.

June 24, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  18. Mary Beth Shemeluk

Resign and give your wife both houses and all the money you can come up with for child support. You are the governor of one of the WORST states in medical care, dental care and education. You are a hypocrite!! Please resign now and let the state recover. The people of the Palmetto state will never trust you again!!

June 24, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  19. Cheri

Will he resign like he advised President Clinton to do?I wonder who paid for this trip?

June 24, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  20. GRITS

Not up to us to forgive him. It's up to his wife.

June 24, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  21. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I don't live in S.C., so you do have to apologize to me Mark.

June 24, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  22. Simon

I am a Republican and this sickens me. I truly believe that in order for someone to impose on others, he himself must set a role model. However with that said, please don't forget Clinton and Edwards. I don't remember them being Republicans and yet both preach "FAMILY VALUES"

June 24, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  23. Obamacrat

That man was with his mistress on Father's Day. Enough said.

June 24, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  24. Keith, CO

His four children are the real victims not the people of S.C.

Most of us would not lose our jobs for infidelity, However he should resign but only because he missed days of work without calling in.
    No Call No Shows= termination at any job.

June 24, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  25. Sniffit

Forgive you? That depends...who paid for the flights bozo?

June 24, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |